Rene de Dios -Shark Fishing Lejend

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
Team Shark Fever
Old Salt

Rene de Dios -Shark Fishing Lejend

Post by Team Shark Fever »

Rene de Dios the shark fishing Lejend

Rene de Dios was a the best shark fisherman at the south beach pier in Miami Beach during the 1970's and 80's.His story is intertwined with the story of the South Florida Shark Club.For me it's an honor to share the pics and the many stories that go with them.It's difficult for me to put into words the drive and passion with which Rene fished.He was the driving force behind the shark fishing scene on that old south beach concrete pier.Everyone who met him and watched him in action was impressed with his charisma, and infected with his fervor to fish for sharks.People would come out to the pier just to watch Rene hook and fight sharks.Rene's brand of enthusiasm to catch sharks was contagious to the young man that saw him in action.The guys on the pier respected and admired him and came to him for advice with the shark fishing. I remember the first time i saw him doing battle with a shark i was mesmorized and went out and bought my first reel a Penn 60 to start shark fishing "just like Rene." To me my Penn 60 seemed puny next to that monstous 14/0 rene used but after that i knew i was on my way to becoming a red blooded shark fisherman "just like Rene" Keep in mind the pier was free and so all the guys used to go there to hang out,skateboard,surf,spearfish,but once they saw the maniac fighting a shark they too wanted to become shark fisherman.All the fisherman on the pier would watch and hear Rene "the BIG KAHUNA" as he called himself talk about the monster he's gonna catch tonight and people knew that he would do just that.Next day Rene's picture was in the Miami Herald with some big shark he'd caught just like he said he would.Rene would hound anyone with a fresh caught jack crevalle or blue runner so he could freeline it on his shark rod.Many times they would give in to the shark fisherman with fire in his eyes just to get him off there back.He was never rude just extremely driven. It got to the point when on any given summer night there would be 15 shark rods lined up on the end of the pier and Rene was the center of attention orchestrating his followers or playing a prank on one of the rookie sharkers.It's Hard to describe the vibe that was there but anyone who lived though it remembers it well.Rene had an uncanny feel for the seasons and what days of the month were gonna produce what type and size sharks. You may ask yourself why so many pictures of one guy with so many sharks but the fact was that Rene was in a league of his own,,in other words he caught so many more sharks then anyone else because he was that much more determined, that much more driven.When everyone else got tired and left at 1 or 2 am Rene would not leave til after sun up or even til high noon. At that time no one could compete with the fierceness with which he practiced his sport.Rene was a superb athlete who became a lifeguard for the city of Miami Beach municipal pool for two summers.I can't remember how many times Rene jumped off the pier to save a drowning swimmer,,at other times Rene would have to go out on a longboard to save one of our buddies whose aluminum row boat was sinking from taking a few waves over the bow while taking out shark baits.Rene was like Tarzan on the south beach pier no one could outfish him and no one was a more ballsy or as superb an athlete as Rene.Some people are born with a gift,a special talent and they only come around I believe once every century,,,just like no one has matched Michael Jordan no one has matched Rene de Dios.I miss Rene very much.

Rene became an expert not only on land but on boats as well.

Fighting a shark from a boat using a long rod was a questionable technique but it became part of his lejend.

Rene takes the lead in the University of miami shark tournament with the help of his two mates Ralph and Hass- 1989

Rene wins the Islamorada shark tornament on the world famous charter boat Kalex-Bud and Mary's marina -1983

Rene on south beach pier

Rene with another south beach shark

Rene with one his apprentice holding the sharks tail.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.

MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by MoJo »

Good job Will its looking better everyday :!:

You all make sure and check out the forums...

picua
Seasoned Fisher

Post by picua »

Nice!!!!

Fla Shark Hunter
Seasoned Fisher

Re: SOUTH FLORIDA SHARK CLUB-website up and running

Post by Fla Shark Hunter »

Will the site is looking great.Lots of great old school pics and info.....keep it up
Fish, I love you and respect you very much. But I will kill you dead before this day ends.The Old Man and the Sea

Team Shark Fever
Old Salt

We recently contacted Rene de Dios's daughter(Erica) and she has loaned us his complete collection of shark fishing picture albums,newspaper articles and assorted materials that will greatly improve our ability to show and tell the history of the SOUTH FLORIDA SHARK CLUB.Check out our pictures and stories, i promise you will be impressed.No one can tell the story of south florida shark fishing better then the SOUTH FLORIDA SHARK CLUB.Stay tuned for much more to come in the coming months.

Rene de Dios in his prime doing battle with a big hammerhead.

Rene and Lui with a tiger on south beach pier(1977)

Rene with a hammerhead he caught on his 14/0 and Harnell rod, and the crowd around him.(1978)

sharkmn42
Old Salt

Post by sharkmn42 »

Your site is looking fantastic there Will...i was there today milling around. i love those old 70's pics of Rene. it was a diffrent time and diffrent era and maybe fishing will come back to what you and i experianced then when we were younger....its most def. a awesome flash back and your doing a great job on preserving our fisherys history as well as honoring Rene.....im trying to forget we wore them short baggies tho!!....but it was the time of big sharks and a few like us still chasing them.....again well done on your site!..mike :wink:
Is it better to be feared or respected or is it two much to ask for both......

maddawgandcrew
Old Salt

Post by maddawgandcrew »

VERY NICE WILL HEY U GUYS ARE REALY OLD :biglaugh:
maddawg
TEAM DARK WATER

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

lol, some people have been fishing for a few decades, on there, some just started like me, but it doesnt mean they cant handle a big shark.

Team Shark Fever
Old Salt

With age comes wisdom and I feel privelged to able to recount those times and share what i have learned with the rest of the world.

Jimbo and Rene with a hammerhead on the beach(1976)

maddawgandcrew
Old Salt

Post by maddawgandcrew »

hell yeh !!!!! i aint that far behind you great pics guys
maddawg
TEAM DARK WATER

sharkmn42
Old Salt

Post by sharkmn42 »

Will , these "vintage" pics you are posting are priceless...thru out the years i have lost mine in that era somehow or another , thanks for posting these up on here and you site. in the area i live in on "our strech of beach" there used to be many pics like you club has , ive try to locate and track them down but with no success.

when these pics were taken this sport was realy taking off, and realy took off with the movie jaws....the sharks we used to catch back then,are just now starting to show back again .most of the younger "guns" dont know this.....but there is exceptions, in that era on our beaches we used to catch sandbars and duskys like our lemons and spinners/blacktips...i cant rember when i caught the first 2 mentioned since the 80's....tigers were very comman like bulls now we see only 2-3 handfulls caught for our state each year...i one tourney back then they caught that many in one or two days.....it was comman practice back then to well take the jaws...it was a rule period, thats what you fished for..a set of jaws...

the pics that Will is posting was a golden era for this fishery.....every fisherman that i seen back then used to have a bucket full of rope with a chain hook and a milk jug and a innertube to tie off to the bridge.....and i mean every one. the Goliath groupers were bigger than the one pete and mark caught as a rule...and thick as well ..and the sharks i seen caught used to be pulled out with wreackers or 4x4 drive trucks....that era is long gone

looking back in the old pic's make me apreciate on what we have now....in the mid 90's we had nothing except the big ole jupiter inlet bulls...they too are now long gone...things have changed since then, when that happened we went and looked for another haven just like that and we found one of what epics are made of....that dryed up as well....

we went and found a diffrent fisheries and we prospered...we had to change the way we looked at the water and thats hard todo after almost a life time of fishing, another thing has changed is it takes a team now instead of like rene and jimbo and will and i and others not mentioned......inculuding the guys we learned from....

i think being "Vintage" is pretty cool....we all have seen the awesome fishing and hung in thru the bad times, we discoverd new and diffrent methods and even returned to the old ones...and the trill off the hunt is just a new...

the tourneys here on boatless and everyone fishing them also put another page in our history...we are chosing to do things diffrent than the way it was ...catch and release is the standard and here on boatless we have some of the worlds finest catches and ive said it before even better fisherman than on other fourms and site on the web ...yes we have a great fishery in fla...but it always wasnt the case in the last two decades.....

so all you young "guns" your pics could be "vintage" one day too.......and just like us...have realy great storys to tell, just like Will and i are sharing.....sea-ya, mike :wink:
Is it better to be feared or respected or is it two much to ask for both......

JunoChris
KING MACKEREL

Post by JunoChris »

The old pictures are great, and catching them on the old school tackle is impressive. Those pics of big Tigers and Hammers coming from way down south are pretty much unheard of now outside of some Hammers in the keys. Commercial fishing put a huge dent in the shark numbers, but all the big females killed by shark anglers on and off the shore didnt help. At least the mind set of shorebound anglers has changed, but with continued commercial fishing will the number of big sharks ever be like it was back in day?
Will no pics of Herb in the stuff you have came across?
ILSFA Member and Record Holder
Team Blackbart

Team Shark Fever
Old Salt

Rene was on the pier more then any one else.

Rene was infected with the shark fever and his room refllected his love of shark fishing
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Fla Shark Hunter
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Fla Shark Hunter »

That was a great story will.
Fish, I love you and respect you very much. But I will kill you dead before this day ends.The Old Man and the Sea

Team Shark Fever
Old Salt

Here is a picture i just recently got from Rene,s daughter it's a different angle shot the 14 footer he caught way back.

The 14 ft hammerhead caught by Rene de Dios

The south beach pier before it was demolished.

Team Shark Fever
Old Salt

Smokin Old Moe on Bahia Honda.The year was 1984 and Rene who by now was established as the top dog on south beach pier had a group of followers that traveled with him where ever he went.On this trip it was Seaweed (Mike),Jimbo, and a few others that went down to fish Bahia Honda bridge for a couple of days.Back then some of the guys would do anything Rene asked them as long as they had the chance to fish with him and learn his brand of contagious shark fishing.It was April and Rene had heard all the stories on the docks around Marathon that a giant hammerhead they called Old Moe was eating there tarpon next to Bahia Honda bridge.The day they arrived at the bridge they set up camp all the way in the middle of the bridge where the deepest channel and highest part known as the hump is lies.Rene sends Seaweed who is more of a diver then a fisherman and Jimbo to spear some shark bait under the bridge on the slack tide.They come back an hour later with two tarpon between 20-30 lbs and once rene sees the bait he is estatic and tells them "he's here I feel it"prophetic words indeed.Rene always had an uncanny ability to read the waters and the seasons and many times predicted what kind and size shark would bite on any given day.So Rene prepares a special rig that he says is the only way to target Old Moe.He uses 50 feet of #19 wire with three swivels and three big Mustad hooks,one hook in the tarpon's jaw,one in it's midsection,and one in the tail.Rene who has his Penn Senator 14/0 packed to the brim with 130 lb dacron lays out the line on the bridge and hurtles the tarpon over the side and it lands with a loud clap on top of the water.A few minutes later Rene has become a maniac screaming "i told you",I told you he was here-he's 16 foot"the giant hammerhead Rene predicted has materialized before his eyes and has swallowed the entire bait in one gulp.Rene sets up right away and Jimbo is shouting at him "why did'nt you let him eat it"?and Rene tells him he swallowed it whole.Rene is pinned against the rail right away he can't hardly lift the rod the giant beast is exerting so much pressure as he takes off in a south course away from the bridge.Rene is in his moment expieriencing what he lives for, the thrill of the fight.His reel is getting hot and cold water has to be poured on it to keep it cool.Rene seems powerless against the giant hammer that is making the line on his big reel disappear at a speed he has never seen before.A big hammerhaead is strong enough on it's own but in the strong currents that flow under the bridges in the keys they are that much stronger.So as the reel is getting lower on line Rene now in his trance begins to slowly tighten down on the star drag to try and slow the beast down ,but of course to no avail.Jimbo starts telling Rene to back off the drag the roller tip of the rod is smoking and as the line gets closer to the botom the line simply broke on a roller tip that was seized up and not spinning.Rene is furious and promises to come back and catch the monster that just toyed with him .Rene's next few times at the bridge involved using two 14/0 reels tied to one leader to try and stop Old Moe but his chance would not come till some years later.

The old Bahia Honda bridge the arrow showing "the hump"the deep channel where we fished.

Rene with Jimbo and Nelson on his left, and surfer Carlos on his right.

Rene getting ready to get "SMOKED

This is an old story and i don,t approve of or condone the use of tarpon for bait because it is against he law.

Team Shark Fever
Old Salt

Re: Rene de Dios -Shark Fishing Lejend

Some more pics of Rene and his shark fishing exploits.

Catching shark bait for the night Miko with a cuda and tarpon

Rene,Seaweed and Shannon(seaweed jr)on my boat "Shark Fever" with a big Cubera snapper caught off Ocean cay Bahamas -1996

DeezNuts
Seasoned Fisher

Post by DeezNuts »

Sweet bannana hammock in that last pic.

Team Shark Fever
Old Salt

Mr don't play wit banana ,,,,banana belong to Chango! Ziaaaa cara!!!!My friend Seaweed died a few years ago but i can honestly say that i have met few people with as free a spirit as was his,,,a bohemian and a truely unique character he was.He speared more fish from South beach pier and the surrounding waters(Miami Beach) back in the day then anyone else.One day while free diving /spearfishing under long key bridge on slack tide he saved my life when the tide started and we were six pilings away from the end and i was carrying the dive bag loaded with fish and could not swim anymore with exhaution; he came back to me took the bag and helped me get back to shore just as i was starting to panic,,,,,he was a full time diver and i a shark fisherman much more then a diver.He was a natural in the water and that day i was very greatful for that.Today i still fish with his son Shannon he is in our shark club and a close personal friend of mine.

POWER FISHERMAN
Fisher

Post by POWER FISHERMAN »

Man that is the stuff of dreams!

Deaver

sharky333
Fisher

Post by sharky333 »

'Rene de Dios was a the best shark fisherman at the south beach pier in Miami Beach during the 1970's and 80's.' excuse me, but......THE BEST? not quite true! PERHAPS YOUR talking about down on INDIAN KEY/bridge? or channel #2??? and BTW, who wrote this post? (tommy (tommy 8)
Team Shark Fever wrote:
Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:31 pm
Rene de Dios the shark fishing Lejend

Rene de Dios was a the best shark fisherman at the south beach pier in Miami Beach during the 1970's and 80's.His story is intertwined with the story of the South Florida Shark Club.For me it's an honor to share the pics and the many stories that go with them.It's difficult for me to put into words the drive and passion with which Rene fished.He was the driving force behind the shark fishing scene on that old south beach concrete pier.Everyone who met him and watched him in action was impressed with his charisma, and infected with his fervor to fish for sharks.People would come out to the pier just to watch Rene hook and fight sharks.Rene's brand of enthusiasm to catch sharks was contagious to the young man that saw him in action.The guys on the pier respected and admired him and came to him for advice with the shark fishing. I remember the first time i saw him doing battle with a shark i was mesmorized and went out and bought my first reel a Penn 60 to start shark fishing "just like Rene." To me my Penn 60 seemed puny next to that monstous 14/0 rene used but after that i knew i was on my way to becoming a red blooded shark fisherman "just like Rene" Keep in mind the pier was free and so all the guys used to go there to hang out,skateboard,surf,spearfish,but once they saw the maniac fighting a shark they too wanted to become shark fisherman.All the fisherman on the pier would watch and hear Rene "the BIG KAHUNA" as he called himself talk about the monster he's gonna catch tonight and people knew that he would do just that.Next day Rene's picture was in the Miami Herald with some big shark he'd caught just like he said he would.Rene would hound anyone with a fresh caught jack crevalle or blue runner so he could freeline it on his shark rod.Many times they would give in to the shark fisherman with fire in his eyes just to get him off there back.He was never rude just extremely driven. It got to the point when on any given summer night there would be 15 shark rods lined up on the end of the pier and Rene was the center of attention orchestrating his followers or playing a prank on one of the rookie sharkers.It's Hard to describe the vibe that was there but anyone who lived though it remembers it well.Rene had an uncanny feel for the seasons and what days of the month were gonna produce what type and size sharks. You may ask yourself why so many pictures of one guy with so many sharks but the fact was that Rene was in a league of his own,,in other words he caught so many more sharks then anyone else because he was that much more determined, that much more driven.When everyone else got tired and left at 1 or 2 am Rene would not leave til after sun up or even til high noon. At that time no one could compete with the fierceness with which he practiced his sport.Rene was a superb athlete who became a lifeguard for the city of Miami Beach municipal pool for two summers.I can't remember how many times Rene jumped off the pier to save a drowning swimmer,,at other times Rene would have to go out on a longboard to save one of our buddies whose aluminum row boat was sinking from taking a few waves over the bow while taking out shark baits.Rene was like Tarzan on the south beach pier no one could outfish him and no one was a more ballsy or as superb an athlete as Rene.Some people are born with a gift,a special talent and they only come around I believe once every century,,,just like no one has matched Michael Jordan no one has matched Rene de Dios.I miss Rene very much.

Rene became an expert not only on land but on boats as well.

Fighting a shark from a boat using a long rod was a questionable technique but it became part of his lejend.

Rene takes the lead in the University of miami shark tournament with the help of his two mates Ralph and Hass- 1989

Rene wins the Islamorada shark tornament on the world famous charter boat Kalex-Bud and Mary's marina -1983

Rene on south beach pier

Rene with another south beach shark

Rene with one his apprentice holding the sharks tail.

Return to “Shark'in Info”