Re: Fall Mullet Run 2008

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

:o :shock: :o OMG! OMG! OMG!

Da mulletz iz cummin'!! OMG! OMG! OMG!

TAILTEASIN
Seasoned Fisher

Post by TAILTEASIN »

Lots of big mullet at Boynton Inlet on sunday and some pretty little finger mullet mixed in as well! :thumleft:
WHEN THE SEAS GET ROUGH GET ROUGH WITH IT!!!

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

I didn't see them myself, but Logan kept asking for a treble hook and guys were running around with hooked Fingers at Juno Monday.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

chum on her face
Old Salt

Post by chum on her face »

bill baggs sunday morning was pretty good, the mutton were there, caught a 19.5 incher as well as some smaller ones and a few keeper mangroves. while we were there 2 small schools of mullet passed by us nothing too big they were small lil fingers biggest ones in the school mustve been about 8''. i managed to net about 2 dozen little guys but after about 10 min. with no bites on them we let them all go. didnt wanna killem' for nothing. dont know much about the mullet run or wat the storms do to the fishing and what the fish do or where they go. but thanks to a few people ive met and others who have just givin me pointers. thanks to this site my fishing smarts have improved greatly and im glad i joined this site.thanks BF. ?? so u guys think the muttons will still be in the area now or after the storm?? what if the storm becomes a big one, what will that do?

DeezNuts
Seasoned Fisher

Post by DeezNuts »

Small pods are at the various bridges in south palm beach already, and boynton inlet has some nice pods up in there too.

DeezNuts
Seasoned Fisher

Post by DeezNuts »

Where do the mullet come from and where do they go? I know they post up in lots of areas year round but I was wondering whats up with the migration. I know they have a big migration over in Africa as well.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Mullet
They move from the estuary's and back water out to travel to warmer water and spawn, I believe.

Mullet have been tagged and it was found out that they can travel 1000 miles, they tagged them in South Carolina and it was tracked to central Florida a few years ago, I remember reading a research paper on it.

But IMO
The mullet we see come from the Cape Canaveral down and are the ones that are just flooding out of our Back water and estuary's in central Florida

It starts with Larger Mullet and then the Fingers come "these are the ones the fish follow" and then bigs one again and then it is over until next year.

This is what the progression was the last couple of years, but i am sure the size and when they come can change due to what motivates the move.

Three things I believe starts it.
1. The shift in the earths axis at Fall time changes shadow lines which tells them the approximate time. Many people don't think about this one, but think about it in the back water there is many shadow lines and when they change it must signal something I think.
2. Water temperature
3. Current movement to the south
4. A Blue print in there dna this is from the previous generations doing the same thing and this is why when something makes a change to the norm for a couple of years it takes time for a species to get back on track

What helps it
1. Storms that force the water movement to the south
2. as already mentioned Water updrafts form these storms make a water temp change

This is just my opinnion
I am just a fisherman " what do I really know"
Sounds Good

But really if someone can put it a better way please do
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Thank you Professor Tommy. It is much easier if you just tell us when to fish. :D
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

SnapperSnatcher
Old Salt

Post by SnapperSnatcher »

ha ha lmaol ..... :stupid: ... ''professer tommy '' hahaha
''Bobster The Lobster''

Big Daddy
Old Salt

Post by Big Daddy »

Thanks, Tom. You have a fishing PhD in my book. :thumright:
Wanna go fishin?
We ain't left yet?

BD

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Saw a couple nice pods at DFP this afternoon getting WORKED in the surf.... :dude:
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

BoatlessFisherman

A good many Many Mullet passed by the Anglins pier this morning, Big and Fingers
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Saw 5-6 schools of mullets getting blasted early morning. Nothing close to football size yet. Day light came mullet disappear.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

went out to haulover on sat night and it was rediculous. mullet schools of about 50 yrds or so. caught some to keep mostly fingers(4-7 inches). tarpon everywhere with big jack crevalles busting. great sight, :cheers: . the big mullets havent made it here yet i think.

malibuminix
Old Salt

Post by malibuminix »

Hey snapperfanatic.Which side of the inlet did you fished at Haulover?

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

south side under the bridge.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Ive seen the mullet very thick last nite 9/12 with lady fish and snook going bezerk. They were not there the night before. Palm Beach/Broward county line. :reeling: :devil:

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

Last night in northern borward the mullet were everywhere at night it was insane. Wee bluefish and ok ladyfish everywhere and sharks gallore going back out soon :reeling:
facebook.com/landsharkfishing
youtube.com/landsharkfishingtv

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

poons too

# one
Weekend Warrior

Post by # one »

i swam in a school of finger mullet by the boca inlet on Wed. after getting my limit on lobsters :)

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Wierd is I have really not seen many Mullet by DFP at all really....One nice school a week or 2 back, but thats really it....
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snakehead terror »

frentals wrote:Last night in northern borward the mullet were everywhere at night it was insane. Wee bluefish and ok ladyfish everywhere and sharks gallore going back out soon :reeling:
I wonder where :roll:
BEAST
snapperkiller

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Cookinman wrote:Wierd is I have really not seen many Mullet by DFP at all really....One nice school a week or 2 back, but thats really it....
I have seen mullet in and around Boca Inlet but not steady yet sat out there all wednesday night till 5am and saw none.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

watched a realy nice school on saturday bout the size of a football field. one of the greatest thingts ive had the chance to watch
pulled about 10 snook out of the school the smallest was about 37 inches

came in boca inlet an i followed it all the way to 14th st

what a greatday
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

TAILTEASIN
Seasoned Fisher

Post by TAILTEASIN »

The mullet are thick in Boynton area and moving fast get ready broward they should be up in Boca or Deerfield soon! Some big fish with them to look like spinner sharks or blacktip but I wasnt close enough to tell. :dude:
WHEN THE SEAS GET ROUGH GET ROUGH WITH IT!!!

BoatlessFisherman

The sounds awesome, because we had mullet moving most of yesterday and a good many through the morning today and in to the afternoon.

Alot of mullet been here so I am glad to hear there is more coming our way, because between yesterday and today I have had a Blast slaying fishys
-Tommy A-

TarponRob
Fisher

Post by TarponRob »

The mullet run kicks azz! I found a huge pod of mullet between Delray and Boca today. Shark, tarpon and biggggggg Jacks, OH MY.

Anyways, I would recommend that those of you who like fishing the beach and are looking for those smelly little baits to take a ride tomorrow morning and search for the schools. I left them biting at 7:30 PM at Spanish Reef Rd in Boca. I landed one tarpon, roughly 100 lbs, lost ten black tips and spinners and caught too many bluefish, ladyfish and jacks to count.

The mullet run is in full swing in southern Palm Beach county. As for points north, the water color has not been terrific, but around Palm Beach Inlet is very fishy if you catch the schools coming by.

I fished from 6:00 AM until 7:30 PM. The mullet run leaves no time to eat, drink or pee. The old woman who caught me peeing in bushes at Palmetto Park Rd will confirm my statement. I will be back at first light to test my skills again. Fish tomorrow or spend the rest of the week listening to everyone else tell the stories. Off to bed at 10:00 PM so I can be up at 5:00 AM. GL all.

Oh, almost forgot. They blues, ladies and jack were hitting 2 1/2 oz Krocs and big Yo Zuri's. Sharks were eating my blues, ladies and jacks as I fought them on the spoons and lures. The two tarpon I hooked hit on Berkley Power Mullet. I think that white or shiny metal are your best bets. 80 lbs leader is necessary as there are some real bruisers out there.

Rob
If your not there you can't get the bite.

Centropomus
Fisher

Post by Centropomus »

Not much to report from the beach starting at Pompano Pier south to Sunrise Blvd. this morning. I saw one small pod of blacks defy a lite north running current at Anglins around noon. Just a few bluefish with them.
Just fish

Return to “Florida Fishing Runs Fall and Spring”