increase size limit for mangroves, lanes and ytails

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Re: increase size limit for mangroves, lanes and ytails

Post by james380 »

I'm all for it.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Me too.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Alex07
KING MACKEREL

Post by Alex07 »

I agree

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

il agree to it as well, its for a better fishery.

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Post by WhoDey »

Some snapper are already above 14" like the mutton.
Team Locked Drag
2009 Big Hammer Challenge Bridge champs
2009 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs
2008 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs

See us in action!

james380

Post by james380 »

lol Rob now your pushing it. IMO Grovers start to get meaty around 12", but at the same time i'd be for it for a better fishery in the long run.
- Charlton Heston

james380

Post by james380 »

Get' er done Ricky. I'd be happy to translate you Italian based English. :wink:
- Charlton Heston

james380

Post by james380 »

Yeah that's one thing we don't have. Some one needs to suck ina biologist into our little clubhouse.
- Charlton Heston

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I agree and have been scramming this for a few years now . If I have to measure a yellowtail, groover, or lane it is to small to keep.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Post by WhoDey »

james380 wrote:Yeah that's one thing we don't have. Some one needs to suck ina biologist into our little clubhouse.
We have one, his name is JDL.
Team Locked Drag
2009 Big Hammer Challenge Bridge champs
2009 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs
2008 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs

See us in action!

JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JDL »

killula wrote:il agree to it as well, its for a better fishery.
I will chime in with my .02.

This is not necessarily true. The old saying "let the small ones go and keep the big ones" is actually not the best ecological choice for some species. Here's why:

For female fish, fecundity (the amount of eggs a fish is able to produce) increases drastically with body size. Additionally, larger females tend to produce larger and more viable eggs as well. In the case of a swordfish, it is much better to kill several just legal 48" fish then to kill one 500lb fish. This is because a 500lb fish is a large breeding female. In the case of swordfish, almost all fish over 200lbs are female. So if you want to kill a swordfish for the table and still be ecologically friendly, kill fish under 200lbs and let the big girls go to spawn.

Now, what does this mean for the snapper in question?

Mangrove snapper, for instance, mature at between 7-13 inches. Which means that many "barely legal" mangroves at 10" are already sexually mature. Yellowtail males mature at 10inches, and females mature at 10-12 inches. So most legal sized yellowtail are already mature. Muttons mature at 15-19 inches. Additionally, with snappers, fecundity in snapper also increases with increasing body size. This is because larger, older fish dedicate more energy to reproduction while smaller fish dedicate more energy to growth. Therefore, the largest females will produce the most eggs (by far).

So, there is no biological reason to increase the minimum size.

If you are concerned with the health of the snapper fishery, a few other options would make more sense in protecting snapper populations:

1. A slot limit to protect the largest breeding females.

2. Mutton, yellowtail and mangrove snappers spawn by forming large schools over reefs in the summer, likely during full moons (June-Aug). They may spawn several times a season. It is no coincidence that many of the largest snappers are caught during this period (look at the summer spawn fishery for muttons in the Bahamas). The schools are fairly easy to locate and exploit. Most snappers spawn this way (mangrove, mutton, yellowtail). So (and this is likely going to be a very unpopular option) if you are concerned about snapper, it would make more sense to close the snapper fishery for one or more of the months in the summer during the spawn.

Here are some numbers that give you an idea about fecundity in relation to size in some species of snapper:

In red snapper, it takes 212 15 inch red snapper to produce the amount of eggs produced by one 23 inch red snapper.
Image Image Image

westcoast
Seasoned Fisher

Post by westcoast »

i'm in

mature or not mature... they just taste better when they're a little bigger. especially yellowtail
California-Florida fisherman

james380

Post by james380 »

Even though Snapper is always my primary target I could go along with a no harvesting period or slot limits. Its the rest of the folks who already poach that would be the problem.
- Charlton Heston

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

james380 wrote:Even though Snapper is always my primary target I could go along with a no harvesting period or slot limits. Its the rest of the folks who already poach that would be the problem.
:stupid: its a shame
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

interesting JDL...
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

JDL wrote:
killula wrote:il agree to it as well, its for a better fishery.
I will chime in with my .02.

This is not necessarily true. The old saying "let the small ones go and keep the big ones" is actually not the best ecological choice for some species. Here's why:

For female fish, fecundity (the amount of eggs a fish is able to produce) increases drastically with body size. Additionally, larger females tend to produce larger and more viable eggs as well. In the case of a swordfish, it is much better to kill several just legal 48" fish then to kill one 500lb fish. This is because a 500lb fish is a large breeding female. In the case of swordfish, almost all fish over 200lbs are female. So if you want to kill a swordfish for the table and still be ecologically friendly, kill fish under 200lbs and let the big girls go to spawn.

Now, what does this mean for the snapper in question?

Mangrove snapper, for instance, mature at between 7-13 inches. Which means that many "barely legal" mangroves at 10" are already sexually mature. Yellowtail males mature at 10inches, and females mature at 10-12 inches. So most legal sized yellowtail are already mature. Muttons mature at 15-19 inches. Additionally, with snappers, fecundity in snapper also increases with increasing body size. This is because larger, older fish dedicate more energy to reproduction while smaller fish dedicate more energy to growth. Therefore, the largest females will produce the most eggs (by far).

So, there is no biological reason to increase the minimum size.

If you are concerned with the health of the snapper fishery, a few other options would make more sense in protecting snapper populations:

1. A slot limit to protect the largest breeding females.

2. Mutton, yellowtail and mangrove snappers spawn by forming large schools over reefs in the summer, likely during full moons (June-Aug). They may spawn several times a season. It is no coincidence that many of the largest snappers are caught during this period (look at the summer spawn fishery for muttons in the Bahamas). The schools are fairly easy to locate and exploit. Most snappers spawn this way (mangrove, mutton, yellowtail). So (and this is likely going to be a very unpopular option) if you are concerned about snapper, it would make more sense to close the snapper fishery for one or more of the months in the summer during the spawn.

Here are some numbers that give you an idea about fecundity in relation to size in some species of snapper:

In red snapper, it takes 212 15 inch red snapper to produce the amount of eggs produced by one 23 inch red snapper.

I know your right. This means most if not every species needs to have a slot limit like the snook and redfish.

CHAD
Old Salt

Post by CHAD »

i :dude: :dude: agree with rijkaard
DO WHAT YOU LOVE , LOVE WHAT YOU DO

BigBoiFishing
With skills like these "Who needs a boat"

Post by BigBoiFishing »

james380 wrote:Even though Snapper is always my primary target I could go along with a no harvesting period or slot limits. Its the rest of the folks who already poach that would be the problem.
exactly. we mostly agree but others won't care, follow suit or change.

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”