Court Bans France from Fishing with "Wall of Death"

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
onshore
Seasoned Fisher

Court Bans France from Fishing with "Wall of Death"

Post by onshore »

France forced to stop illegal drift net fishing
By Charles Clover, Environment Editor
Last Updated: 4:01pm GMT 17/03/2008

France has been told by the European Court that it may not allow its' fishermen to use "wall of death" nets in the Mediterranean this year.

The court has refused to grant the French Government a temporary exemption to allow fishermen attempting to catch endangered bluefin tuna and swordfish to go on using drift nets that were prohibited in the EU in 2002.

Spotter plane works with fishing vessels in the Mediterranean

Read complete article at:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.j ... una117.xml
Bill
Beach & Bay Inspector

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

I saw something on Tv on how they do that. Spotter plane finds the fish and boats surround them with the nets. Pretty sickening if you ask me. Of course I am a big softy.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

sprtsracer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sprtsracer »

No different than the Tuna Fleets out of Panama using helicopters for the same purpose! My answer is to have our Navy blow the French out of the water, but then, that's just me and my inbred French predjudice. After all, I joined in the wine protest and poured the French wine out into the parking lot of the local liquor store (at the liquor store's invitation). I think one well placed "flare" over the bow of one of their ships by a bass boat would cause the whole French Navy and fishing fleet to surrender and we could run that country the way it should be, LOL! "Diplomacy? We don't need no steeeenkin' diplomacy!!!"
No matter where you go, there you are!

onshore
Seasoned Fisher

Post by onshore »

The article was not about use of spotter planes. Spotter planes are used around the world, including in US waters by seiners, stick-boats and recreational fishermen - It's not illegal.

The article was about the French continuing to allow their tuna fleet in the Mediteranian to continue to see multi-mile long drift nets more than a year after the European Union Court banned their use worldwide.
Bill
Beach & Bay Inspector

sprtsracer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sprtsracer »

onshore wrote:The article was not about use of spotter planes. Spotter planes are used around the world, including in US waters by seiners, stick-boats and recreational fishermen - It's not illegal.

The article was about the French continuing to allow their tuna fleet in the Mediteranian to continue to see multi-mile long drift nets more than a year after the European Union Court banned their use worldwide.
Agreed...but leave it to the French,,,Nice guys that they are...see my point???
No matter where you go, there you are!

xtheline
Old Salt

Post by xtheline »

Hey I'm not crazy about the French either, They're easy enough to bash. Still if not for a French pirate a couple hundred years ago we may still be singing "Hail to the Queen"
They did give us the Statue of Liberty after all. Hmm . . . maybe that was so they could find Ellis Island in the fog?
xtheline

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”