Fs forum spliting trips

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Fs forum spliting trips

Post by cantseeme47 »

So was on the florida sportsman forum and had put up a topic about that i wanted to split a trip with someone who had a boat and the responses atleast to me were mind blowing. Heres the best one "Also consider offering to pick up all of the cost of the gas and furnishing the bait.  The boat owner is picking up all of the boat payments, depreciation loss, and maintenance costs."
Most were deadset that the guest should pay for everything. Am i the only one that thinks this is crazy talk?
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Fs forum spliting trips

Post by fishnfool73 »

That is generally the norm when fishing with a stranger. That being said if I am footing the bill for the " charter" don't expect me to stick around to clean the boat. I work out the details before we agree on the date so there is no confusion once we get back to the dock. Check around with other people I have fished for free on some guys boats and paid less than full cost of gas/bait on others.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

On the other side of token, think of your risk of fishing on stranger's boat
you don't know if he knows how to find the fish... It appears finding fish sometimes much harder than catching fish...
There may be reason that he fish with you...
You may end up paying all gas and no fish... lol

Oh you may have to pull the anchor by yourself... :jester:

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

On my boat, if I don’t know you, I expect you to pull your weight. That means cleaning, cutting bait, willing to pull up the anchor etc. At the end of the day, if they take off with out offering to help clean up, they’ll never go on the boat again. Offering to split costs is a huge help, and Will help you and your buddies get on the water more, but if I just met you, and you weren’t free loading, I generally tell you to keep your money. Everyone is different, but fishing offshore is a lot of work, and it’s nice to have a group of guys that know that.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

My IT guy at the office kept talking about what a good fisherman he is, blah blah blah.

I invited him on a trip, and ended up tying his knots, and doing everything for him.

Got back to the dock, he hopped off the boat, didn't offer any gas money or help me clean, shook my hand, and said "so, when are we going again?"

LOL...guess who's not getting another invite.

Snapperfanatic1828
Weekend Warrior

Post by Snapperfanatic1828 »

Here's what i'll pay or do: depending on your boat/gas tank or type of fishing ( trolling or anchor), ill pay for all or half the gas. Pull/drop anchor all the time if needed. Catch bait ( i dont pay for that. Lol). Bring my own gear and share if needed. Ice/food depending on total costs. And help clean (thats the worst part imo but it sucks doing it alone) But i aint paying over 200 bucks of gas and all that other poop..thats for sure..lol

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

PhishingPhanatic wrote: Got back to the dock, he hopped off the boat, didn't offer any gas money or help me clean, shook my hand, and said "so, when are we going again?"
That is so typical...lol

Unfortunately, there is also even person who pretending that he doesn't even know how to make a chicken rig...

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue wrote:
PhishingPhanatic wrote: Got back to the dock, he hopped off the boat, didn't offer any gas money or help me clean, shook my hand, and said "so, when are we going again?"
Unfortunately, there is also even person who pretending that he doesn't even know how to make a chicken rig...

Them kind of guys are the best, kblue! The memories will always stay with you. :wink:

Now, I did ask Rory to help him after we got back... he kindly said no. At least I think he said no as I was driving away.

Things we do:

Help setup the boat and load with ice the night before.(if needed) My good bud does have an Ice machine, but filling that 36ft is work. Small boat, bring ice, drinks, food. Big boat, 1 guys is the meal guy for the crew and cost is split with all same with gas. We all get bait if needed or at least bring a few dozen hoo. After trip- Deep clean boat usually the next day when coming back from a 2.5 day trip. From trash to scrubbing duties.... Rods, nets, etc!

That dead beat to the left was ask not to come again. We got back and he jumped on his car and drove away! Later on called at night and asked when are we doing it again! You will be surprised that most still come on here to take a peek... (tommy

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

I just went out this week with a guy that insisted on paying for everything and even refused to let me help clean the boat. Fishing was just terrible (flat seas, clear water, no wind) so he even gave me a couple of kingfish steaks he had in the freezer to make up for it. So what was the "catch"? The experience was intended to be a metaphore of the eternal salvation offered by Jesus, that it is offered totally by grace and not earned or worked for. Now that's some evangelism I can appreciate!

eatpop

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

BEOWULF wrote:I just went out this week with a guy that insisted on paying for everything and even refused to let me help clean the boat. Fishing was just terrible (flat seas, clear water, no wind) so he even gave me a couple of kingfish steaks he had in the freezer to make up for it. So what was the "catch"? The experience was intended to be a metaphore of the eternal salvation offered by Jesus, that it is offered totally by grace and not earned or worked for. Now that's some evangelism I can appreciate!

eatpop
So you’re saying that not even the power of Christ can make the fish bite?

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

actually illegal to accept pretty much anything to take people out on your boat. I’d also mention FWC and the Coast Guard monitor sites like this and FS to track down guys running what they call “illegal characters”. The Coast Guard considers “shared cost” of fuel an illegal charter. Basically they told us if we take friends out fishing, and said friends buy us lunch for doing so, that’s considered an illegal charter. The exception being immediate family.
So if you get stopped, you’re guests who didn’t pay for anything.
Here’s the legal text.
SEC. 506. PASSENGER FOR HIRE.

Section 2101 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by inserting between paragraphs (21) and (22) a new paragraph (21a) to read as follows:

"(21a) 'passenger for hire' means a passenger for whom consideration is contributed as a condition of carriage on the vessel, whether directly or indirectly flowing to the owner, charterer, operator, agent, or any other person having an interest in the vessel.."
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

SEC. 506. PASSENGER FOR HIRE.

Section 2101 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by inserting between paragraphs (21) and (22) a new paragraph (21a) to read as follows:

"(21a) 'passenger for hire' means a passenger for whom consideration is contributed as a condition of carriage on the vessel, whether directly or indirectly flowing to the owner, charterer, operator, agent, or any other person having an interest in the vessel.."

DESCRIPTION - The determination of what constitutes the carriage of a "passenger for hire" must be made on a case by case basis. This determination is dependent upon the actual operation of a vessel and the flow of consideration as determined by the facts of each case. In general, there needs to be some form of tangible consideration or promise of performance being passed for a "passenger for hire" situation to exist.

SEC. 507. CONSIDERATION.

Section 2101 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by inserting between paragraphs (5) and (6) a new paragraph (5a) to read as follows:

"(5a) 'consideration' means an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit including pecuniary payment accruing to an individual, person, or entity, but not including a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies." Additionally, employees or business clients that have not contributed for their carriage, and are carried for morale or entertainment purposes, are not considered as an exchange of consideration.

Bottom line: if you are a recreational boater, you are allowed to share expenses for a day on the water. Just don't make payment mandatory if someone wants a boat ride.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Pat,

I'm wondering how many have been busted on the FS thread "Need A Crew/ Want To Fish" because pretty much all them threads have the same setup. Just curious...

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

To me it is not even a question to split gas, ice, and whatnot. Even split the weed lol. Scrubbing the boat afterward is a given. Pulling the anchor with them weak ass dudes is a given as well LMFAO. Saving or trying to save the boat from smashing in the bridge is also a given.

Dear lord don't wanna do that get yourselves a damn kayak LMAO
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

when I take friends out now, I sit my ass back drink a cold one and let them go to town
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

Glad to see im not crazy lmao but yea split expenses pull the anchor help clean up. I believe thats good enough for anyone. Good to see guys are still around on the forum. Hoping to fish more soon work is kicking my butt
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Old School
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Old School »

S*it, I reached the point in my life where i am paying for a mate on my small boat to help me out with the work. All of my old fishing buddies have either moved out of S. Fla,, passed away, or just sit at the helm all day up in their flying bridge and let their son and their son's friends do all the fishing and work.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Rare I can only tell you what the guys who write the tickets told us in school. If you’d like to throw yourself on the discretional mercy of FWC or better yet the coast guard, by all means be my guest.
Bottom line quoting the law to its enforcers never ends well. And remember this effort is usually prompted by licensed charter captains complaining in mass. Happens every year. They whine and complain FWC and the coasties crack down. If you look you can probably find annual articles in the sun sentinel or The Keynoter. So do what you want. I prefer to simplify my life and play the game.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I will stick with what the laws says. Just cause they can write a tickets doesn't mean anything. You of all people should know this better than most or all in here. We did have the "BIG" patrol vessel Gulf Sentry that pulled us over and aboard the boat somewhere in DT. They measure every fish and asked them same question. Each of us were separated. Is this a charter boat? No! We are friends and helped with the fuel. No ticket - no nothing. Each case is different so i can only speak of experiences on what happened to us.

steveo2627
Fisher

Post by steveo2627 »

Want to start back on boat was down in keys 10 yrs then personal problems brought me back now living in Aventura would love to help crew on a boat can do most stuff on my boat I had 22 Grady I know things have greatly changed with GPS I only had what did they call the three radio towers ltd or lsd i dont rember. but can tye hook on can rig bally i a good guy who is self taught but on your boat its your way so, im retired can go any time, id prefer week days because less people out there. 786 320 5567 steve leave message if no answer

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Do we all remember the member in here who caught a Cobia on my CC than immediately said he was sick. We brought him to he dock and said leave the fish we will bring it to the bbq tomm. He said no and left with the Fish. He was never on that boat again
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

gdm phil wrote:Do we all remember the member in here who caught a Cobia on my CC than immediately said he was sick. We brought him to he dock and said leave the fish we will bring it to the bbq tomm. He said no and left with the Fish. He was never on that boat again

Jarred?

Good luck to 3 of or boys out with Yuri since yesterday! :toast:

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Na another guy Jared was there. I don’t remember his name but we were all pissed
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”