A new standard, the Accurate Valiant?

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
Hoogan
Fisher

A new standard, the Accurate Valiant?

Post by Hoogan »

Wow, I still see tackle stores ( some long standing ones too, land marks in the sport fishing industry) that still carry a large inventory of 50-80-130lb. class rods and reels, I remember fighting mid size amberjacks, sharks and tunas with my 50W’s and bulky Senators (I still love my Senators) with my Mildrum roller guide glass rods, I was wiped before the fight even started. Aside from Wahoo trolling, the largest of billfish, sword, giant bluefin and land based shark fishing, we’re catching mid size tuna, amberjacks and everything in between with incredibly light tackle, braided line, Kevlar/carbon rods and tiny lever drag reels capable of putting out 30 even 40lbs of drag! No need for heavy glass rods and bulky reels. Sorry about rambling on...
The new reel from Accurate the Valiant, I just worked on 12 of them (pre-service tunning and blueprinting) several 500’s, 600NN, a 300 and 500N’s. These reels IMO are going to where no reels have gone before... easy 30+ lbs of drag with ZERO spool bind, and sleeved spool shafts! These things weight from 9 ounces for the 300 to 18 ounces for the 600 size reel! Any Jigmaster/Trinidad/Saltiga size reel weights at least an additional 7-8 oz. In taking them apart I found a well built, all SS hardened gears, no plastic parts ( sorry Shimano) lubricated carbon drag washers, and now 2 SS antireverse bearings instead of just having 1 non-corrosion proof ARS like previous models.
Pair up a 2-speed Valiant 500 with capacity of 475 yrds of 50 braid at 16ounces with a 10 oz. carbon fiber rod and you have a 26 oz. 2-speed rod/reel outfit with 30lbs. of drag, you can hold that thing all day long and cacht a 150lb. Yellowfin tuna! I still have my Senators and my Saltigas star drags are not for sale but maybe this is the future?

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: A new standard, the Accurate Valiant?

Post by cudaman »

Very nice reels. I might buy the accurate Valiant BV2-400 or a 500N. I think these will be good all around for jigging and bait. I think Rory has a single speed one.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

First off I don't speak reel geek I just fish so that being said Accurates are the Porche or Lambergheni of the reel world in my opinion of the 12-14 I've owned. When they work they work great they look good they turn heads but they are constantly in the shop. Mine are in the shop every year or two considering I only fish with them a few times a year that says a lot. I've had one issue with my torsa and its my go to reel. The Variant may be accurates final attempt to fix their shitty bearings and locking drags plates of the previous generations but I'll hold off on buying one.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

mvnray
Weekend Warrior

Post by mvnray »

i think its the future for boats but off the pier there is nothing like landing a nice fish on a old school hurricane blank with a shimano speedmaster and some 30lb mono

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I tried this reel a few weeks ago...very smooth... My first impression was good... It may be a good jigging reel... But no 2 speed is needed for jigging... Rod backbone bending acts as another gear...

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

I’ll stick with my Makaira SEa II’s. Twice the reel at half the price. And 5 years free service. Never had a single problem with any of them and they have handled some big fish. Super smooth drag sick freespool that’s great for casting live baits away from the boat. And they hold s ton of line. Basil packed 700 + yards on my 30 and almost the same on my 20. Frigging reels are Crain winches in low. Even the smaller 15 drug in its share of big fish topping out at a 185 pound yellow fin.
Okuma really raises the bar with this one. I won’t be selling my accurates, but for my money the Makairas are a much better reel.

I also tried out the Avet 3 speed 50w ATD last couple trips. Try as I might I couldn’t find a fault with that reel. Very impressed.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

cudaman wrote:Very nice reels. I might buy the accurate Valiant BV2-400 or a 500N. I think these will be good all around for jigging and bait. I think Rory has a single speed one.
I use the 500N, I can honestly say ive never hadan issues with a fish. I have been broken off or sharked but never spooled
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

kblue wrote:I tried this reel a few weeks ago...very smooth... My first impression was good... It may be a good jigging reel... But no 2 speed is needed for jigging... Rod backbone bending acts as another gear...
low gear on the reel is to turn a fish, one hes in the right position its high speed power
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

cudaman wrote:Very nice reels. I might buy the accurate Valiant BV2-400 or a 500N. I think these will be good all around for jigging and bait. I think Rory has a single speed one.
I actually went with the BX-400N for my slow-pitch setup. Those Valiants are really nice though.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

kblue wrote:I tried this reel a few weeks ago...very smooth... My first impression was good... It may be a good jigging reel... But no 2 speed is needed for jigging... Rod backbone bending acts as another gear...
Ok, so this is how it works. You jig on high gear, you hook a fish and you switch to low gear. This way you will not have problems turning the handle when fighting a big fish or bringing any fish from deep water.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
I actually went with the BX-400N for my slow-pitch setup. Those Valiants are really nice though.
Still a nice reel.

Hoogan
Fisher

Post by Hoogan »

First off I don't speak reel geek I just fish so that being said Accurates are the Porche or Lambergheni of the reel world in my opinion of the 12-14 I've owned. When they work they work great they look good they turn heads but they are constantly in the shop. Mine are in the shop every year or two considering I only fish with them a few times a year that says a lot. I've had one issue with my torsa and its my go to reel. The Variant may be accurates final attempt to fix their shitty bearings and locking drags plates of the previous generations but I'll hold off on buying one.
I wasn’t sure I wanted to post this thread in Boatless given that the Valiant is clearly not a pier/land based reel, I opted to post anyways just to contribute to Boatless, as far as “speaking reel geek” I’m it sure what you mean by that... I service reels and I do reel reviews, been at it for 40 years, have no interest in expanding or profiting from it. I recall building a reel for you , and you were happy after pulling several Black groupers. I too had my share of issues with the smaller Accurates, but decided to give this reel a shot given its unparalleled light weight with so much power, currently no other reel offers that. My comment about Shimano having too many plastic parts, they do, when I compare the Trinidad to the Saltiga. Torsa... I’ve had a few of these, issues: overbuilt, too high speed, too heavy, and only Shimano would sell a small single speed reel for $800 fifteen years ago. On another note, I had the opportunity to work on the new Saltiga VS the 2017 JDM Ocea Jigger, in comparison the Saltiga is a much more solid reel inside and outside. I was disappointed with the Ocea Jigger reducing the size of its drag washers by a good 30% from the older version Ocea Jigger, and they did it to make room for a plastic rachetting device which replaced the old Ocea Jigger’s metal piece, loved the new handle, the automatic gear engage, and also the ergonomics. problems with the outside finish on the new Trinidad/Ocea Jigger actually peeling off! The new Saltiga, machined out of billet stock, two gear options: fast 6.4 to 1 for speed and 5 to 1 for power, the size 35 in JDM version very nice jigging reel, all metal internals, nicer handle than the US version. In the 10 and 15 size, not enough drag power to fish with braided lines. But overall Daiwa did it again with the new Saltiga. Now we have to wait and see what the new Okuma star drag Tesorodoes, but you can see the quality is not at the Saltiga level.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I haven't pier fished in about 3 years I do mainly boat now and I do appreciate you posting this thread. Reel geek is knowing the inner workings of a reel as well as you do. Where I would say the drag binds you could explain to a part why said drag binds so don't take it as a shot but a compliment Art. I sold out fully to Accurate for about 20 years and with each new model hoped they would fix their issues but never did. Maybe the Variant will finally make them live up to the hype. I am looking forward to the Tesorodoes as well as Okuma seems to have come a long way with their purchase of Tiburon. That 4/0 you tricked out still catches fish :patriot: .... I need to fish it more vs the fancy gear I do now. :lol:
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Is Tesoro coming out with a lower ratio, Art? 4:1 - 5:1?

Hoogan
Fisher

Post by Hoogan »

Sorry Chris and Nilsen for the looong delay. :toast:
Accurate reels have a history of the freakiest reel issues! Reels having the side plates literally falling off the reel due to side plate screws backing off, a guy returning (6) Accurates back to T&R tackle because all six reels frozehad the spoos froze in the middle of a Kingfish tournament, I have many other happpenings with Accurate reels, most significant the ARB freezing or giving out. Reportedly the ARB issue has been resolved, but Accurate continues to have some “ odd issues here and there” and they are in fact the Ferraris and Lamborghini of the reel world, but they have some very attractive features like: zero spool bind unlike other lever drags and now with the new and revolutionary SPJ craze which depends on the lightest possible gear having a reel with 30 lbs of drag at a weight of 9 ounces is unparalleled, we shall see how well the Valiant holds up, they do come with a 2-year service warranty. Rare, the new Tesoro only comes in 6.2 to 1, but if you are looking for a top of the food chain star drag with power gear of 4.9 to 1 like the old Saltiga or 5 to 1 like the new one, but not crazy about the $449 retail prize, I can probably hook you up with a BNIB Saltiga 40 with the 5 to 1 gear for about $320.
PS. I definitely qualify for the “reel geek” label.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

One of the guys at Crooks and Crooks told me way back that they stop carrying them because issues they had with them. This is the first Gen they stopped many year ago. Now they have them in stock again. Thanks, Art. I have one of the old saltiga star drags 50 all in blue.

Hoogan
Fisher

Post by Hoogan »

If you decide to part with it, I have a buyer for any blue Saltiga, local young charter boat captain out of Fort Laud.

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”