Jigging for Pompano from the beach.

Help to add helpful posts on catching specific species.
Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Jigging for Pompano from the beach.

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

How productive is it? I have dreams of jigging pompano while walking up the beach. In my head I see pompano jigged from the sand and have tried a couple times, probley the wrong times of year, but tried all the same. The only luck Ive had jigging pompano from the beach was over on Sanibel last year. Worked good over there. Ive only read one post where it was done up in Juno.
Ive jigged many from the piers but thats not what I want to do, I want to be "Sportey" about it.
I got my 6' jiggey rod set with a 2ooo sized reel, 10#mono and 14# floro leader and the typical pomp jigs we all use rigged up.
Anyway I'm gonna try in the morning. :toast:

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Jigging for Pompano from the beach.

Post by fishnfool73 »

I have tried it a lot and never really done well from the beach trying it.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Its been done BJR, others have had better luck and some not so much but if the fish are there do it. Bounce that Jig along the sandy bottom creating a nice fluff on the pop and it should get them going. The jig you are using, is it a short feathered bright colored round head?

Floridahogfish
Old Salt

Post by Floridahogfish »

Chevy Juan wrote:Its been done BJR, others have had better luck and some not so much but if the fish are there do it. Bounce that Jig along the sandy bottom creating a nice fluff on the pop and it should get them going. The jig you are using, is it a short feathered bright colored round head?
which is called a nuckle ball jig
Team Ruff Around The Edges
"Make Money Take Money"

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I ususally bring a light spinner to the beach, but have had very limited luck, unless the pompano are right in the first trough, it is hard to keep your jig in the strike zone very long. Also, good pompano fishing days are often somewhat rough and windy, which makes it tough to fish a jig from the beach. I much prefer them on the piers, it is easy to cast them down the trough and work them through.

coolcow
Seasoned Fisher

Post by coolcow »

Done it once standing on the first sand bar with an old setup I used for sabikis. We were diving through waves and actually hooked up to and landed a couple behind the sand bar. It was a lot of fun, but waist deep water and pompano in the area may mean bad things for chunks of my legs.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Yes jigging from the pier is much easier. Done it many times and caught many Pompano. I'm using regular ole pompano jigs like Docs 3/8th oz for everything. I do sometimes use a boxing glove style silver head with pink skirt but have only caught jacks and bluerunners on that style and color. I walked up the beach north of Mar a lago today. Looked fishey but nothing happening. Thought where to go, Juno I'm close, or Lake Worth Pier. Ended up at Juno Pier about 730am with only my pompano jiggin rod and jigs in hand. Man Juno was a ghoast town. Crystal clear water and no fish at all. Heard its been a brutal winter spring up there. Dosn't stop me really liking going up there though.
The wind deffinitly comes into play when jigging pompano from the beach. I'll just wait till they come to the pier, and dream the dream of someday catching them left and right off the sand of the beach.
:toast: :toast:

AndyB
Fisher

Post by AndyB »

I've caught them on banana jigs with a teaser right off the beach, I've done best tipping the teaser with a chunk of fresh shrimp. It's hit and miss, if the pompano are running the beach and current/waves are not too strong they will attack those jigs. My only experience has been on the gulf side in April and May, last hour of the incoming tide in the morning has been best for me.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Nice the only place ive jigged them from the beach is on the west coast as well. Welcome aboard and glad my post grabbed your attention! :toast:

AndyB
Fisher

Post by AndyB »

You bet...Pompano is my favorite fish to catch/eat....unfortunately living in the north I only get to Fla. once a year and it's hit and miss with weather/tides/water temps...from what I've read the east coast Sebastian Inlet and south is the best place to go for them March-April....looks like they use longer rods to get out there farther as the surf is rougher over there. Someday I'll retire down there and fish for them hard....great forum, just found it.

GetFish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by GetFish »

I was thinking of trying this today around North Beach. Does anyone have any input? Would I be wasting my time?

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

is jigging for pomps at night a horrible idea? thinking about trying it out sometime with a goofy w/ teaser tipped off with some shrimp

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Never heard of anyone catching them at night. I think for the most part they are sight feeders. I have caught them in the early morning low light conditions however.
Fish Crazy

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

I've caught them at night with bright moons plenty of times, but not on the jig.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

mil7950 wrote:is jigging for pomps at night a horrible idea? thinking about trying it out sometime with a goofy w/ teaser tipped off with some shrimp
Need moon or light into the equation. Without them.. jig won't work that well.. Maybe tipped with shrimp.. might work but haven't try that.

Hathaway614
Fisher

Post by Hathaway614 »

Caught this 15" pompano while jigging off a pier in Fort Pierce at about 10:30. Mild condotions. Live shrimp.

Return to “Pompano Info”