Servicing Spinning Reels

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Servicing Spinning Reels

Post by anas473 »

I know most of us here really put the hurt on our precious fishing gear. From this forum, many even learned how to make their own rods from the advice of our fellow Boatless members. I personally would like to learn how to service some of my spinning reels, and maybe some of my conventional reels. Would it be a good idea to get together some of our forum members and do a small teaching seminar for this type of thing? It sure would be useful to pass the time with some of the bad fishing days we get in South Florida.

Rare
SHARKER

Re: Servicing Spinning Reels

Post by Rare »

Hard enough to get a good amount of people for some great food bbq, fresh caught fish, and great members at the events...

Good luck!! :toast:

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Fishing Reel Repair by Alan Tan, google it!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Never head of this tani guy. You were looking more of a sit down/talk/reel work thing.....right?

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

I've seen some of Alan Tani's work. Very thorough guy and a professional at what he does. But I was thinking something more along the lines of what Rare has mentioned.

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

Also, is there a reason why this thread isnt showing up in the active posts page?

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

It is showing up in active topics, it's where I found it. And Alan is one of the input designers of the Okuma SEa II Series reels. Guys a genius.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

Proper oil and grease + freshwater rinse will keep your reels going for a long time... Most other replacements/upgrades/fixes can be done by looking at a schematic and the tons of other info on the Internet. A seminar would be a waste of time better off trying for a get together. Most people go wrong in maintenance by not writing down or placing parts in the set order and also losing parts.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

I have a question is it bad to use WD-40 on reels? When I mean using it on reels I'm not talking about on the inside. I'm talking about on the outisde of the reel, on the whole reel. Everytime I use my reels first thing I do when I get home is I hose them down with fresh water. Then I let them air dry and I spray the entire reel with WD-40. Is this a bad or good thing to do?

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

WD40 is fine. A better product for what you're doing is Corrosion X.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

So Cal guys soak their reels with this stuff a couple times a trip. They don't seem to have any problems and their reels look new.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

dunking the reel in a bucket of fresh water helps to
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Nearly the whole last year of my stay I totally screwed up my reels cuz I just did not service them the way I did before. No hosing down no grease no nothing but the rare one fixed it I guess.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Fisher

Post by 0119 »

xtremeh18 wrote:I have a question is it bad to use WD-40 on reels? When I mean using it on reels I'm not talking about on the inside. I'm talking about on the outisde of the reel, on the whole reel. Everytime I use my reels first thing I do when I get home is I hose them down with fresh water. Then I let them air dry and I spray the entire reel with WD-40. Is this a bad or good thing to do?
Bad...... never do it. Wipe it down with it maybe but never spray it. It'll get into the roller bearing and under the bail arms. WD stands for water displacing and that means it'll also displace oil and grease. It's not meant to be a lubricant only a water displacer. Never spray water to get the salt off either. Yes lots do it with no problem....yet. Or maybe they don't care if their reels squeak. Wiping it down with a wet rag is better, use your nails to get into the grooves. Always drop a drop of oil on to the roller afterwards even if your reel only has a bushing there. Also drop of oil on each sideplate screw to allow it to seep into the threads to avoid them rustings and seizing when you do want to use them to get inside.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Never spray water to get the salt off either. Yes lots do it with no problem....yet. Or maybe they don't care if their reels squeak
So, if reel squeak.....oil? What other problems beside the squeaky reel?

I dont care and spray water or dunk reel in water. Or maybe i do....Hmmm

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

crashmister wrote:So Cal guys soak their reels with this stuff a couple times a trip. They don't seem to have any problems and their reels look new.
Yup....we swear by that stuff. I don't know if it works on the other of the country though.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Kingofthesea wrote:
crashmister wrote:So Cal guys soak their reels with this stuff a couple times a trip. They don't seem to have any problems and their reels look new.
Yup....we swear by that stuff. I don't know if it works on the other of the country though.

LMFAO!

CELLFISH
Weekend Warrior

Post by CELLFISH »

Those flip flops look like they could use some oil, or better yet throw'em out... Cellfish...
... sand under my bare feet is better than subway steps with steel toe boots on ...

Return to “How To's Articles”