Flounder question

Ronmoll
Fisher

Flounder question

Post by Ronmoll »

Hello all,

Having recently moved from NJ, just wondering if anyone fished for founder here from inshore? If so, where is a good place to go?

Thanks and tight lines!!!

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Re: Flounder question

Post by baseball4life702 »

Inshore would be probably the only place you see them down here around bridges and docks. Summer flounder, imo better than any northern flounder.

bluesea
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bluesea »

There is a guy that catches flounder very often at key Biscayne at the end of the bridge, I saw him catch 4 flounders while I was netting bait 3 months ago.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

bluesea wrote:There is a guy that catches flounder very often at key Biscayne at the end of the bridge, I saw him catch 4 flounders while I was netting bait 3 months ago.
God damnit giving away the spot lol :nilly:
But now that it's out yea that's where I'd go for flounder.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Come Oct/Nov keep an eye on Sebastian Inlet. Nov/Dec when them cold fronts moves in is where you want to be

Ronmoll
Fisher

Post by Ronmoll »

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

what's the best bait by the way?

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

k5523915 wrote:what's the best bait by the way?
Jig tipped with shrimp or some bottom rigs with a shrimp.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

At SI, the bigger flounder are caught with mud minnows & finger mullet. They also use jigs, strips of bait, shrimp. Just to give you an idea of the size of them there if you go there to target them. When you see them at the tide pool you know what they are targeting. Keep focus on them....Its hard to do when the macks, reds, blacks, pomp etc are also thick. Keep super lite- hit the local bait shops and they will help you tremendously

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

:stupid: he's 100% correct and if you want the bigger ones and more action go to SI. I was only speaking for key biscayne it's nowhere near as good just the only place down here I know they are consistently caught.

DragonFire
Weekend Warrior

Post by DragonFire »

Ponce/Cape and Si has two main runs> spring and fall.... the fall run IMO is a lot better... we also have what we call
Local fish, these are the smaller ones that you will catch yr round...

And imo that's what you will catch at SI right now.... If you look at those pictures you will notice one thing... all the guys are
wearing warm clothing... meaning that all those fish were caught during our cold spells... just saying... :pistols:

Oh I just listed those three areas, because I have fish them for flounders during the winter months.... the further north you go
the nicer the flounders get inshore...

Ronmoll
Fisher

Post by Ronmoll »

Those are awesome fish and awesome advice too!!!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Just an FYI. SI is very well know so if you don't mind a mash pit style gathering while fishing you will be okay. Every family member will be there including their great grandfather with an oxygen tank.(I'm not kidding) They use other family members or friends that don't fish to secured their area and hold their ground and protect there gear. Like I said pick a fish you want target and go there lite to move in,out and around. Never leave your stuff unattended....

DragonFire
Weekend Warrior

Post by DragonFire »

He isn't kidding about leaving your stuff with no eyes on it... but remember that happens on most of our piers down here.. when I fish the pier alone and I'm waiting to hit other spots... I run
a cable thru my cart and every rod I have out there with me...

and as far as combat fishing goes... SI is well known for people that push their way in as a group and you also have your Locals that believe they own the whole pier...
I stay off the pier at all cost... I rather fish the dark wet rocks.... not many people down there.. and the best time to hit SI during the weekday (nite) and even better
if a big storm rolls thru... those rats takes off running when its raining over there... :mrgreen:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I had a bad experience by "intruding someone else's territory"
I was at Lake Worth Beach pier 6 AM to catch goggle eye... And I was yelled by a regular Vietnamese grandpa because I put my cooler too close to T. There were only him and I. I was speechless... Obviously, he thinks he owned the whole pier... lol

Return to “Species info--Dedicated to Targeting”