Targeting Permit

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Targeting Permit

Post by tears143 »

How do you target these guys?

I only have been catching these around this time of the year in Tampa bay and most of them are by accident, while I was targeting pompano.

k5523915
Old Salt

Re: Targeting Permit

Post by k5523915 »

fleas, shrimps, and crabs are crustaceans that permit likes.. best bait is small (palm size) blue crabs imo b/c not many fish feed on them (permit, stingray, sometimes tarpons etc).. shrimps and fleas will be taken in a sec.. just my 2 cents i am sure other more experienced anglers can tell you more

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

From a boatless perspective these fish are found in skinny water even into the winter while the sun is out. If you are doing surf fishing I would try a couple of rods out with crabs with either one of them smashed for sent or maybe smash some larger crabs and chunk them out there unhooked.
If you can wade flats cast well ahead to avoid spooking them. Using a flies(not fleas) Shrimp. Or small crabs. You will probably also catch the area reds using these same ways. Always wade from down stream or current with sun to your back if possible.
If you are in a boat, I hear they really like hanging around wrecks.
I would probably start with 20# for surf and try lighter on flats.
Use the guideline of if you can see them that are designed to be hidden in plain view. They can see your big cabbage head way before that. And they don't like to see movement so a tourist can really mess you up by walking by.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Thanks for all the tips!

Permit for the west coast is a by catch when going after pompano for me. I usually catch them when jigging for pompano during the summer months. Just want to learn a good way to target them on the bridge during the summer months when I know they are around. They never stay at the bridge for too long and always moving in and out of it.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Well if you are talking bridges, I would scratch all that 20# crap and go with at least 40 main line and leader. Use shadows and obstuctions to your advantage. If on a single bridge instead of a driving and then a fishing bridge like in the keys, put a rod out on both sides if possible.
If you really want an education hit the archives for 2006-2010 or so and you will learn. Still some bs in there but nothing like it is now.
The bridge how to thread can be understood if you have an IQ of 95 or so. If not just re-read till you get it like I do :pistols:

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Most of the permit that are caught here isn't really that big. The biggest that I heard is around 24-26". As long as they don't run under the bridge it isn't that bad. I am guess the archives for the keys?

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

There are big permit on the west coast, but on offshore wrecks..but if there are any beaches that have deep troughs or if there are any inlets, I'm pretty sure you can find permit..I don't see why there wouldn't be any on the skyway, just probably no one fishes for them...but only way you're gonna find out is if you try...toss out a half dollar size blue crab or cut a big one in half on your 20-40lb setup and cast far...look and see if you can find deep flats, but permit are even known to cruise the reef patches...so, just go and give it a whirl..you just might bring up that 20lber! Good luck. :)

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

tears143 wrote:Most of the permit that are caught here isn't really that big. The biggest that I heard is around 24-26". As long as they don't run under the bridge it isn't that bad. I am guess the archives for the keys?
The keys archives is a good place but also that how to thread about fish in the bridges would be excellent.

I generally measured the permit to the fork so you're saying 26 inches to the fork that's a decent fish. If you're saying 26 inches overall that is a good eating fish

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Green Tide wrote:
tears143 wrote:Most of the permit that are caught here isn't really that big. The biggest that I heard is around 24-26". As long as they don't run under the bridge it isn't that bad. I am guess the archives for the keys?
The keys archives is a good place but also that how to thread about fish in the bridges would be excellent.

I generally measured the permit to the fork so you're saying 26 inches to the fork that's a decent fish. If you're saying 26 inches overall that is a good eating fish
Not too sure if the person told me 26" saying it's from the fork or full length. I would guess full length but the one I have caught are around 18" fork. I saw with my own eye one that is around 22"-23" fork length. Maybe there are other out there that are 26" fork length.

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

tears, I would think that small live swimming crabs would work best on the outgoing tide, since their probably are small crabs flushing out of the bay. It probably would not hurt to cast out a live crab with some weight, while you are working the artificials for pompano and the other usual suspects. I know how well you have done catching pompano, so I have a feeling you will figure out how to catch permit more regularly.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

lkatze2 wrote:tears, I would think that small live swimming crabs would work best on the outgoing tide, since their probably are small crabs flushing out of the bay. It probably would not hurt to cast out a live crab with some weight, while you are working the artificials for pompano and the other usual suspects. I know how well you have done catching pompano, so I have a feeling you will figure out how to catch permit more regularly.
A lot of pass crabs been floating out... I'll net some and use that at bait. Permit do bite at night right?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

tears143 wrote:
A lot of pass crabs been floating out... I'll net some and use that at bait. Permit do bite at night right?

Yes

Return to “Species info--Dedicated to Targeting”