Vertical Jig Rod and Reel Weight

This Forum is all about Boat Jigging
subbie268
Fisher

Vertical Jig Rod and Reel Weight

Post by subbie268 »

Hey All,
Just wondering for those that vertical jig, what does you estimate your weight of your rod and reel combo to be?

I think my combo might be more on the heavy side

Chaos Custom with Penn Battle II 6000 is my current setup

Rod Weight: 10oz
Reel Weight: 22.1oz
Combined: 32.1 oz

So is that on the heavier side for jigging? What are your thoughts?

Thanks

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Re: Vertical Jig Rod and Reel Weight

Post by HJared »

You can get the rod down to 8 Oz with getting a super light blank. My blank was less than 5 oz.

Reel weight around 18 or 19 oz
doesn't get any lighter

subbie268
Fisher

Post by subbie268 »

HJared wrote:You can get the rod down to 8 Oz with getting a super light blank. My blank was less than 5 oz.

Reel weight around 18 or 19 oz
doesn't get any lighter

Thanks for the reply so I am not to bad then where I am at in terms of weight wasn't sure what to expect but that clarifies it.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

IMHO:The weight overall is not a real issues since you are not casting and just dropping down. Jigging overall is pretty lite with the rods they make for them. Has weight been an issue with you?.....just thinkIng what got you to ask this question. .

subbie268
Fisher

Post by subbie268 »

Rare wrote:IMHO:The weight overall is not a real issues since you are not casting and just dropping down. Jigging overall is pretty lite with the rods they make for them. Has weight been an issue with you?.....just thinkIng what got you to ask this question. .
Weight hasn't been a problem, I just am getting in to VJ in salt water and was not sure if that was an ok setup or if I should go lighter. I have done tons of jigging in freshwater so I just wanted to be sure that from a gear perspective it was ok.

Very helpful, thanks

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

The rod with the correct jig weight is where your focus should be at. The right rod with the correct jig size is key. It can either make the jig dance with the correct jigging from the fisherman technique or shut down from improper jig size

Questions is what are you going to target? Base that on the rod and jigs you will buy.

subbie268
Fisher

Post by subbie268 »

Rare wrote:The rod with the correct jig weight is where your focus should be at. The right rod with the correct jig size is key. It can either make the jig dance with the correct jigging from the fisherman technique or shut down from improper jig size

Questions is what are you going to target? Base that on the rod and jigs you will buy.
I have a couple different types of jigs.
I have some butterfly jigs similar to http://anteaterjigs.com/products.php that range from 100g up to 200g

I have some smaller shaped jigs similar to http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-CAIVO-3D- ... 1635853247 that are 150g

I have some one off variations that I have picked up around town but mainly those jigs above are what I have.

In terms of target I would love to say snapper family (mutton, red etc), king, but I know others hit jigs like AJ etc which is cool with me but definitley table fare is better :) I guess really anything else that will bite them. I am really wanting to get in to the VJ space its one area I would love to grow knowledge in.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

I got your message I'll message you tonight after work
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I am intrested to see how a battle 6000 holds up to an aj of any size. (tommy
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

fishnfool73 wrote:I am intrested to see how a battle 6000 holds up to an aj of any size. (tommy
second.

I just got the new torium hga to try for slow jigging. Looks just like a trinidad a

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

fishnfool73 wrote:I am intrested to see how a battle 6000 holds up to an aj of any size. (tommy
Seen a few caught in the 20lb + range or so. Might have been a 5000....How many long runs can the reel handle before the gears gives is unknown by me. Even Ricky fought a poon about 20/30lb range with the battle 2000/3000 (?) for an hour when we anchor at Marquesas. It was smooth drag the hold fight not jerky or missing a beat on the gear... the reel still in use today. As an entry lvl to jigging that is the way to go & see if he still wants to further jigging. Or he can upgrade later to all them bling jigs $$$$ and them nice gear and not want to jig anymore and sell them at the other site or can show us all the nice grouper they are catching when slow jigging. All the nice fat hard fighting red grouper that is (tommy

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

Just wondering would this be a okay outfit?
A shimano saros 4000f
and a custom rod 10-25

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

my 02 cents

Forget all these custom rods and high end reels to start off with. first you have to figure out if your going conventional or spinning. Personally I use conventional. I just feel I have more control of the fish but that's a diff story.

If your going spinning pick yourself up a star or shimano trevalla rod. it will run you around 125-150. now for the reel Okuma makes a really nice reel called the cedros, Miguel use the same reel and has put it threw hell it its still kicking. he got his first wahoo on it.

conventional same brand rods. I my first jigging reel was a AVET JX purchased from a member here (thanx) I have caught a huge black fin and numerous 30+ pound kings.

throw some 65# braid on and have some fun with it. don't over analyze it. my rods and reels are off the shelf nothing special. believe me its not the rod and reel that catches the fish
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

grouperking wrote:Just wondering would this be a okay outfit?
A shimano saros 4000f
and a custom rod 10-25
no u def Need a vert jig rod doesn't matter it's custom like phil said. It bends In half it will break a normal rod and won't work the jig right as rare said

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

gdm phil wrote:my 02 cents

Forget all these custom rods and high end reels to start off with. first you have to figure out if your going conventional or spinning. Personally I use conventional. I just feel I have more control of the fish but that's a diff story.

I seem to like conventional better too ... Just to me, spinning was a little awkward to jerk... But maybe because I crank spinning with right hand..

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I have had the fancy Spinal and JM jigging rods and my $100 Star jigging rod is the one I kept. Landed ajs to 75 lbs on it no issues.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

I vj with a battle 5000. If I recall correctly it has the same drag as the 6k but weighs about and ounce less. I've landed mutton, gags, kings, ajs, and so forth on it. Never had any problems.

Return to “Jigging”