Anyone have an idea for storing pre-made leaders?

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
Dragon
Seasoned Fisher

Anyone have an idea for storing pre-made leaders?

Post by Dragon »

Does anyone have an idea for storing pre-made leaders so they will be ready at a moments notice and easy to untangle or unroll? When I use a tackle box I store them individually in a zip lock baggie and mark the outside with the line test and hook size with a sharpie. They lay nice in the bottom of the box, but I need a method to store them in plastic lure boxes with dividers. Thanks in advance... :)

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Anyone have an idea for storing pre-made leaders?

Post by krash »

Dump the plastic lure box with dividers idea nd use a tupper-ware style storage container similar in size.. and stick with the labelled baggies stored flat.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Dragon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dragon »

I thought about that but I need my lures and gear, and I travel very light (Ninja fishing requires that :lol: ).

tom222
Weekend Warrior

Post by tom222 »

If you wear a back pack you should have lots of room for a tupperware leader box - with both hands free.

Dragon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dragon »

I figured out a great way...store them in plastic CD-ROM cases! Cheap, slim and they are perfect for the leader, swivel, hook, and even a small lure such as a fly or jig...Keeps them untangled and the wide loop won't create a memory as much as wrapping them smaller...

bigseank22
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigseank22 »

i put together a milk crate /gear carrier/ rod holder thing for my kayak but I have been using it more for bridge stuff. On the tops of the milk crate I drilled little 3'16" holes so i can stick the hook in and it wont stick you or your great and the rest of the rig can hang freely inside or outside the crate. Ill put up a picture when I get a chance later.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

I use a storing zip binder from basspro with the zip lock pages that I carry in my bag, works great and I usually put 2 per page.

eagle
Weekend Warrior

Post by eagle »

Go to home depot or dollar stores and get some pipe insulation foam. It's a foam tube that comes in all kinds of lengths you can cut up as you need. Tie your leader and wrap em around the foam tube.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

nice set up man

clambellies
Fisher

Post by clambellies »

Here in the cold Northeast we use leader wallets. They are wallet sized, and have small attached ziplock type bags inside. I don't know if we're allowed to post websites here, but they are sold at: thesurfcaster.com - they're pretty rugged and cost about $13 I believe. I have a few of them, and one is always in my plug bag.

Dragon
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dragon »

Thanks guys! All great ideas! :dude:

ikaika
Weekend Warrior

Post by ikaika »

I keep my leaders, teasers and pre-tied rigs in a Bass Pro Shops Tackle Binder.

It's a cheap item and holds a good number of rigs.

It's better than tuperware or a plastic or wood spindle since it does,'t take up too much space in a tackle bag, surf bag or backpack.

Charlie2
Weekend Warrior

Post by Charlie2 »

Empty oatmeal box. C2
A Game Law Violator is a Thief

BigSkyDave
Fisher

Post by BigSkyDave »

eagle wrote:Go to home depot or dollar stores and get some pipe insulation foam. It's a foam tube that comes in all kinds of lengths you can cut up as you need. Tie your leader and wrap em around the foam tube.

Walleye fisherman use a similar tube device to store bottom bouncer leadrs, It has little plastic hooks running down the sides. You hook the leader loop over the plastic hook, wrap your leader around, and then stick your hook in the foam or rubber, The tube is hollow with end caps so you can store hooks and sinkers in it.

For heaviers leaders sturgeon fisherman use plastic leader rings, around 8" in dia. These also catch the loop and hook. I use them for shark leaders.

For smaller leaders there are fly fishing leader wallets.

Dave

tartan23455
Fisher

Post by tartan23455 »

eagle wrote:Go to home depot or dollar stores and get some pipe insulation foam. It's a foam tube that comes in all kinds of lengths you can cut up as you need. Tie your leader and wrap em around the foam tube.

The foam pool noodles work really well too. I use em in my yak and around the lip of my milk crate.

pescando
Seasoned Fisher

Post by pescando »

No ninja more like a bump :idea:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zeke
Fisher

Post by Zeke »

I take a wine cork and cut a slot in each end. I have my hooks and leaders pre-tied with a swivel on one end and a hook on the other I mark both slots with a felt tip pen. I insert the swivel end of the leader into the cork and pull it tight into the depth of the pre cut slot. Then pull the leader so the swivel is tight into the side of the cork, then tightly wrap the length of leader around the cork. The hook can then be secured by anchoring it into the side of the cork or into the hole made by the cork screw. I make many of these with different lines and hook styles and mark the line type on the end of the cork with a felt tip pen. These all fit nicely into a Plano model 3600 tackle box

Charlie2
Weekend Warrior

Post by Charlie2 »

I make my short leaders up and store them on a Styrofoam board(for lack of a better term).

Shook the hooks into the end of the board then stretch the leaders lengthwise along the board where I secure the ends with a large rubber band. Works for moi! C2

Charlie2
Weekend Warrior

Post by Charlie2 »

Dragon wrote:Thanks guys! All great ideas! :dude:
Do you know the origin of the picture that you post as a signature; the one with many rods? Thanks in advance. C2

Charlie2
Weekend Warrior

Post by Charlie2 »

I make my leaders at home on the dining room table. I store them on a long Styrofoam 'board'. I hook the hook into the end of the 'board' then stretch the leader lengthwise, securing it with a rather large rubber band.

The insulation foam idea also has merit. Hmmm!C2

ricky9
Old Salt

Post by ricky9 »

on the boat i use a bucket that i attached foam to the lip. from there i just place the hooks on the foam and let the rest of the line stay in the bucket.

jedd
Fisher

Post by jedd »

There's a small tackle pouch from BP that works well for me.

cocoaken
Fisher

Post by cocoaken »

B. P. tackle pouch. The label says its for spinerbaits and is in that section. cocoaken

TOMMY
Weekend Warrior

Post by TOMMY »

same as this but i used a plumbing tube and wrap around cork
works wonders

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

:stupid: Cheap and functional, I have about 6 feet in my garage and I am never out.Last time I changed it... Can't remember

fishbait
Fisher

Post by fishbait »

I use the old pool noodle idea, cut up sections 5 inches or so wrap the rig and set the hook, works really well...I was shoving them in plastic bags, and then had a tangled mess....

Manny
Weekend Warrior

Post by Manny »

Robbycicco
Fisher

Post by Robbycicco »

**RIGRAPS**

I agree. Love them, but have only found them on e-bay' Just watch the prices and the shipping. I usually can put 3 or 4 leaders in each one.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40

I have also used the Swimming Noodle sliced down the middle as someone showed above. Those are particularly good for Sabikis.

Robby

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Check out a worm bag. It's basically a book with plastic pouches for pages. Great for leaders, king rigs, soft baits like DOA's.

They're cheap and expandable plus they take very little room compared to 6 or 8 spools of fluoro mad mono in a leader box.

Most guys I fish with use em because they can load em up with endless hook size and line type and weight.

Saves allot of screwing around in a hot bite.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Winand
Fisher

Post by Winand »

I saw this one yesterday but I have not had a change to try it out yet.

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/techn ... infoil-tip

Return to “How To's Articles”