Where NOT to get fishing tackle: Why to avoid Walmart

Please post Businesses that cater to us and are helpful in the area and Boatless Fishing related links here with a detailed title thanks.
shmegger
Weekend Warrior

Where NOT to get fishing tackle: Why to avoid Walmart

Post by shmegger »

A bunch of my fishing buddies give me a hard time for paying too much for fishing tackle. They say "you should go to Walmart!". I say you should definitely NOT go to Walmart, and here are the reasons why:

Why to avoid:
  • -Items not properly restocked, especially common hook sizes
    -No live bait
    -No customer service (you could ask the shotgun counter guy, I guess)
    -Low quality merch.
Why to use the local shop instead:
  • -Supports a local business, easy one
    -Good shops don't price gouge, and are only slightly higher than the Mart
    -Not factory rejected merchandise
    -Live bait, supports a local fisherman too
    -Customer service: get help and buy the right tackle the first time
    -Free fishing report
There is a rumor that one of the popular bait shops in Tampa Bay is folding. Its just a rumor, so I'm not repeating the name, but it kills me to hear it. Let's stop buying the garbage Walmart is pushing off as name-brand product. Walmart brow-beats their vendors into selling at a loss, but assures them it will be made up in volume. They have no choice but to push down quality.

Maybe I'm being a conspiracy theorist, but it seems like my Mustads are different depending on where I buy them.
Support local fisheries. Buy wild Gulf Shrimp.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Where NOT to get fishing tackle: Why to avoid Walmart

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I don't shop at Walmart for anything unless I can absolutely avoid it, for the same reasons you listed. That said, I have to admit I like the Marathon sabikis they carry for .99...they work just as well as the $3-4 sabikis from regular tackle stores. I buy about 30 of them at a time once or twice a year, and I am set on sabikis.

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Couldn't agree more schmegger.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

strizile wrote:Rory

you can get the same bikis for the same money from K-Mart if one is closer to you than a wally world.
K-Mart / Sears / Wally World

Same chit different names.

And hey I did buy my first setup @ Wally World. Now they only see me if my wife wants to visit the crafts department. Luckily they do not have so much so I am spared of going there often.

Besides if you are good with a tackle shop you are way better off in the long run anywho besides supporting a local store.
:stupid: 100%
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

cybereagle
I FEAR NO FISH

Post by cybereagle »

Funny thing is that now some Walmart's are selling shimano reels. Like the spheros, stradic, saragosa and if not wrong 2 more brands that I don't remember.

cybereagle
I FEAR NO FISH

Post by cybereagle »

They had the Spheros 4000FB for 109.00+tax. Ill wait until they put it on clearance. LOL

jedd
Fisher

Post by jedd »

Bought my first rod sets in Wally mart. Returned and refunded in less than 30 days. I like BPS's no-hassle return policy.

shmegger
Weekend Warrior

Post by shmegger »

Visit www.peopleofwalmart.com to see the most epic Walmart denizens from the safety of home, and avoid the possibility of getting hep A from one of them.

Surge101
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Surge101 »

jettypark28 wrote:Those new Shimano 6500 baitrunner in this picture.... well i pick them up at Wally world
for Dirt CHEAP!!!.... :shock:

Don't know about you guys but i will still buy fishing stuff at wally world...

Pros> right down the street, cheaper for the same chit, and i can also buy anything
else i might need, and also might get a laugh or two
Walmart shoppers late at nite are a hoot.... hell i bet people look at me funny sometime,
sell like fish and at time wet and blood stains all over my shirt...

Con's > Don't sell everything i need but hell who does...Even BPS doesnt have it all :pistols: and No i don't work for Wally world.... :tongue:
How much did you pay for those baitrunners?

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

jettypark28 wrote:wet and blood stains all over my shirt...
Next time you show up in a Wally World like this, find an associate and ask for help finding:

Duct tape, heavy duty garbage bags, a shovel and some bleach....I wonder what kind of reaction you would get.
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

shmegger
Weekend Warrior

Post by shmegger »

mmcauliffe wrote:
jettypark28 wrote:wet and blood stains all over my shirt...
Next time you show up in a Wally World like this, find an associate and ask for help finding:

Duct tape, heavy duty garbage bags, a shovel and some bleach....I wonder what kind of reaction you would get.
LOL, its Walmart, I'm sure they have a procedure for this. But you also run the risk of actually being featured on peopleofwalmart.com

"Security, we have another wife beater on Isle 6...Security, Isle 6"

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Round here I price shop and can't afford the few B&T's we have left. Wallymart has good prices although the stock selection is minimal. But on the otherhand I find teh selection at BPS very poor also, Dicks prices to high selection better but still minimal, Sports Authority poor selection but better prices.

Example comparing apples to apples, I use a lot of DOA product and a blister pack of 3 DOA shrimp is priced like $4.50 at Wallymart compared to over $6.00 at Dicks, and mid way between at BPS.. where the local B&T would price it at $6.50-$6.95. Each of the above stores has a minimal supply, DOA stuff comes on 30+ colors, none of the above stores has more than 6 colors. Good news for me Wallymart usually carries the main color DOA Shrimp I use the most of.

Local B&T, recently I came across a ballyhoo rig I wanted to try. Online its $8.50, called the company and asked if there was a local distributor the girl said yes gave me a name of the local B&T said she just shipped a new supply a couple days before. Stopped by the local B&T they get $10.50 for the same rig. They also charge $13.95 for a dozen frozen ballyhoo, same exact package of ballyhoo at BPS $9.95, and another local B&T where I normally get them is $11.95

Sorry locals, I know biz is tough all over but my hard earned $$ have to be stretched as far as can be..
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Surge101
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Surge101 »

So I was planning on going to my local shop (the only one I know of) to buy some new rods/reels, if I was planning on saving money I'm guessing that is a bad idea?

yankneck696
Seasoned Fisher

Post by yankneck696 »

For 95 % of our stuff, we use the local B&T Fishin' Frank's. Support the ones that can supply you with live bait !!! He beats BPS or anyone around on rods & reels.
That being said, I do get bulk hooks at Wallyworld when they have them. Also, I get my snap swivels there.

Ed
Some people build bridges. Some people fish off the bridges. Some people burn their bridges. Others should just be pushed off the bridge.
Caught by hand.

shmegger
Weekend Warrior

Post by shmegger »

There is no question that many B&T's charge premium prices for basic items. These are usually the small shops, on the water, with little room for inventory. These are the convenience stores of fishing, and not a solution for buying all your tackle.

I'm talking about local shops, like Mastry's in St Pete, and Southeastern Liquidators or Tampa Outfitters in Tampa, with full product lines and fair prices.

If price is the only thing that matters, then buy tackle online.

And if you think not buying tackle at Walmart is going to put them out of business, then you probably also think that Exxon cares if you forward one of those stupid emails about boycotting gasoline.

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

strizile wrote:
shmegger wrote:......And if you think not buying tackle at Walmart is going to put them out of business, then you probably also think that Exxon cares if you forward one of those stupid emails about boycotting gasoline.

Not at all. For me I do not care if they are in or out. Is a personal preference. I support local shops and especially made in USA where available.
Yea - it's not about "trying" to hurt Walmart, but trying to help the local B&T.
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

crossbow
Seasoned Fisher

Post by crossbow »

I agree the only time I shop there is when I have forgoten something after everything else is closed. I go into B&T's all the time just to talk with the guys and see who is catching what and where. As far as the prices go I have never noticed that big of difference maybe a buck or two. But you can't put a price on a good fishing story.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

shmegger wrote:A bunch of my fishing buddies give me a hard time for paying too much for fishing tackle. They say "you should go to Walmart!". I say you should definitely NOT go to Walmart, and here are the reasons why:

Why to avoid:
  • -Items not properly restocked, especially common hook sizes
    -No live bait
    -No customer service (you could ask the shotgun counter guy, I guess)
    -Low quality merch.
Why to use the local shop instead:
  • -Supports a local business, easy one
    -Good shops don't price gouge, and are only slightly higher than the Mart-Not factory rejected merchandise
    -Live bait, supports a local fisherman too
    -Customer service: get help and buy the right tackle the first time
    -Free fishing report
There is a rumor that one of the popular bait shops in Tampa Bay is folding. Its just a rumor, so I'm not repeating the name, but it kills me to hear it. Let's stop buying the garbage Walmart is pushing off as name-brand product. Walmart brow-beats their vendors into selling at a loss, but assures them it will be made up in volume. They have no choice but to push down quality.

Maybe I'm being a conspiracy theorist, but it seems like my Mustads are different depending on where I buy them.

i buy my tackel from the big K

screw wallyworld
an screw most of the locals should in northmiami an south broward
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

mogenmyle
Seasoned Fisher

Post by mogenmyle »

the walton family donate money too anti-fishing funds thats enough for me

Return to “Businesses and helpful Links that cater to our needs.”