BE ADVISED: Proposed Ordinance Banning Shark Fishing

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
penn-reel-ryan
Fisher

Re: BE ADVISED: Proposed Ordinance Banning Shark Fishing

Post by penn-reel-ryan »

hey this whole shark fishing thing made front page on the Sun Sentinel pick one up if you get the chance

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Goat; Reguardless of history we still need to at least challenge this with facts. However 300 people showing up to the Delray C/C meeting in support of stopping this ban would not hurt either.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Sean Paxton
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sean Paxton »

This deserves and demands as much representation and presence as possible; meaning anyone that is an angler of any definition AND / OR anyone that values their rights as a citizen and has a concern for broad, undefined, sweeping changes proposed by a few that could potentially affect the rights of many.

No need for signs and picketing, but solid, respectable, concerned, informed, representation, en masse.
SeanPaxton.com
AdventureAndWildlife.com
LandBasedSharkFishing.com

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

I would like to attend and support you. Can someone post directions or an address to google and the specific time/day of the meeting?

I had one name wrong in an earlier post. One of the people who helped was a guy named PeeWee and not Peanut.
Thanks

Team rebel
KING MACKEREL

Post by Team rebel »

Yes it will be tuesday the 21st at delray beach city hall at 6pm The more Bodies the better to attend and show support for what we are doing here. it is about 2 miles east of 95 on atlantic ave. we will post more specifics on directions and meeting as we get them

-Zach
" Welcome to the Greatest Show on Surf"

http://WWW.TEAMREBELFISHING.COM

Team rebel
KING MACKEREL

Post by Team rebel »

Sean Paxton wrote: No need for signs and picketing, but solid, respectable, concerned, informed, representation, en masse.

Sean, these are words of wisdom that EVERYBODY needs to heed. We can't go in there screaming and yelling like a scene from Jaws. But be absolutely dignified inside the city hall..

And as for the sun-sentinal front page article, we are aware ofthis and I was interviewed for this as well. They were the same articles we posted on here yesterday and there will be a video release coming about this soon from Sun-sentinal and its affiliates.

But again we have asound strategy to approach this matter with , involving some high profile names and a lot of very good and level-headed forum memebrs whom have stepped up to help us and everybody protect thier rights as Florida, and American Citizens.

and we cannot stress enough WE NEED PEOPLE TO SHOW UP , TO HAVE A LARGE PRESENCE TO SHOW HOW MUCH THIS MATTERS TO THE COMMUNITY AND CITIZENS. BECAUSE THIS ISN'T ABOUT DELRAY OR SHARK FISHING, THIS AFFECT EVERY SHOREBOUND ANGLERS AND IT WOULD BE FOOLISH AND CARELESS NOT TO JUMP INTO THIS ISSUE ALONG W/ US HEAD FIRST

If anybody would like to talk more about this or is interested in the details or the meeting shoot myself,Boatless,Sean Paxton, or Crash Mister a PM.

-Zach

Sean Paxton
Weekend Warrior

Re: BE ADVISED: Proposed Ordinance / Origination Memo

Post by Sean Paxton »

Thanks. We're gradually, but surely, boiling this down to its essence.

On that note, the following is a draft memo I attained that sheds some light on the where, why and how of this proposed ordinance and its origination. We're finding there may actually be more to this than what one might gather reading the basic statement below. As part of our case and position, we're working to bring whatever supporting facts that may exist to light.

MEMORANDUM

TO: Mayor and City Commissioners
THROUGH: City Attorney
DATE: June 16, 2009
SUBJECT: AGENDA ITEM - REGULAR COMMISSION MEETING OF JULY 7, 2009
ORDINANCE 37-09

ITEM BEFORE COMMISSION
Ordinance 37-09 prohibiting shark fishing within three hundred feed of the municipal beach.

BACKGROUND
As Commissioners may be aware, we have recently been contacted by residents concerned that fishing
for sharks from the municipal beach may create hazardous conditions for swimmers at the beach. In
response, the City Attorney's The attached Ordinance 37-09 enacts a new Section 101.37, "Shark
Fishing", to prohibit shark fishing and/or chumming within three hundred feet (300') of the municipal
beach.

RECOMMENDATION
City Commission discretion.
Page 1 of 1
http://miweb001/Agendas/Bluesheet.aspx? ... tingID=211 7/2/2009
DRAFT
SeanPaxton.com
AdventureAndWildlife.com

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

This is on the WPTV.com site:

http://www.wptv.com/content/news/topsto ... KAibg.cspx

Not sure if the link will work. Article and a movie up to the right.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

WE NEED PEOPLE TO SHOW UP , TO HAVE A LARGE PRESENCE TO SHOW HOW MUCH THIS MATTERS TO THE COMMUNITY AND CITIZENS. BECAUSE THIS ISN'T ABOUT DELRAY OR SHARK FISHING, THIS AFFECT EVERY SHOREBOUND ANGLERS AND IT WOULD BE FOOLISH AND CARELESS NOT TO JUMP INTO THIS ISSUE ALONG W/ US HEAD FIRST

I will be there to show support.

DeezNuts
Seasoned Fisher

Post by DeezNuts »

This is sad. One would think that in order to make a case for outlawing it they would have to prove that shark fishing causes or promotes attacks. Has there been any documented cases of shark attacks in delray? On a seperate note- where does the public beach end?

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

DeezNuts wrote:This is sad. One would think that in order to make a case for outlawing it they would have to prove that shark fishing causes or promotes attacks. Has there been any documented cases of shark attacks in delray? On a seperate note- where does the public beach end?
Deez; I have found one from 1976 where a surfer was attacked however there is no info other than that. There was a guy last year who was bitten trying to remove a hook. However I can't confirm it was in or on Delray beach. It's a youtube video. And the bite was very minor I did find a very intresting statistic. More people are killed by falling coconuts each year than by sharks. Depending on location it's between 8 and 12 x more likley you will be struck by lightening than attacked by a shark. It's difficult if not impossible to determine wether fishing was in any way a factor as there is no mention of it in any account I have found.

Team rebel
KING MACKEREL

Post by Team rebel »

Pat you are 100% right there was only one attack at delray in 1976 and the one that is not on the ISAF of the dumbazz surfer who stuck his hand in the BT's mouth last year on delray. no attack officialy since 1976 though

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

OK, I have read some of the great insight here so far and have to say I am really impressed that this important issue has been able to stay focused and on topic.

There are some really great points made by many here....

Zak is spot on, show up well dressed, hair combed and like you were going to a job interview !!! Nobody cares if they upset what appears a few beer drinking pickup drivin ye-haw boys, in fact it may add weight to their arguements about element thy would be driving off the beaches. However a sizeable well spoken crowd that appears to mimic a % of a demographic that no political aspirist would care to chance alienating is another matter entirely....

OK guys any Laywers in the house? I am not one but do know a thing or two about legal precedent... See Modern Law id based on "precedent" Meaning when a judge looks to make a runing if a case is not clear cut such as an eyewitness to taking of a life " He/ She will look back at how similar cases were resolved....

So - If you have "interpretable" rules, not only do the police have leeway in enforcement, but so do the judges when your day in court come up. Short term, that stinks because you could get arrested and possibly fined in court etc etc....HOWEVER, the real damge comes after this happens a couple dozen times....

The really dangeous thing here IMHO would be to have not only undefined borders both to the N and S but E to W too, but really the thing that got me really scared was how does one interpret a :shark rig:? Is it by the wired end? It is by the # test being used?

I mean before you know it, any kid fishing with a ling shank heavy duty J hook with wire for bluefish is going to be whisked away as a violator....Pretty soon it will be a standard for anyone with a fishing pole between X and Y hours to be chased.

As I mentioned guys, I am not a sharker, but do see this ordinance as a way to slowly start moving towards the ultimate " No Fishing Allowed" sign getting posted.
ALL Fisherman should be alarmed at this...Already, I cannot tell you how hard it is to find a great place to sit with my 2 and 4 yr olds at the beach and throw a line....We just cannot afford more negative pescatorial legislative activity to go unopposed.

Further - I do not think that by playing cutesy on equipment will help us here ( ie by calling your 6/0 and 9/0 Reels Cobia setups for example ) and saying that whatever happens when I Toss out a bait is beyond my control, will allow a large enough loophone to be created. It may work in the short term, but best effect here is to totally repel the ordinance if at all possible...

Another Suggestion...
Get a mole. Take a few secretaries out to lunch - Show up W A tray of Starbucks and a bag or bagels at the place that this stuff originates.....I know that is over simplifying it, but I cannot tell you, in my experience how true the "You get more with Honey that Vinnegar" addage is. I have won countless bids by knowing what is written between the lines of the proposals I respond to because I took measures to ask the right people the right questions.......the right way. Nothing illegal, just being nice to an unaprreciated secretary or assistant.

Find out what exactly they are looking to accomplish with this legistalive initiative....Is it noise based? Is it fear based? Is it litter based? doe they want to get rid of fishing altogether? If possible, lets not be assumptive, but factual. That will ultimately help in forming a defnse and in negotiating a compromise, by understanging wat the purpose is.

Just some things off the top of my heads guys....I hate to see the bad guys win.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

Team rebel
KING MACKEREL

Post by Team rebel »

EXCELLENT addition to this thread Ant.!

a lot of valuable input in there, this is exactly what we want to shorebound community to do to help be ivolved w/ this issue and stay ontop of it.

And let me tell your first hand Cookin' that much of what you suggested is already being considered behind the scenes and let me assure you that we have a great plan to take on this issue..

I hope you can possibly make it to the meeting on Jul 21st 6pm at delray beach city hall, you would be a great addition to help fight this issue.

and like cookinamn said

WE CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH THAT THIS IS NOT JUST FOR SHAR KFISHERMAN BUT FOR ALL SHOREBOUND ANGLERS AND EVERYBODY WHO FISHES FROM SHORE SHOULD STRONGLY CONSIDER ATTENDING THIS MEETING

KEEP IT UP GUYS!

-Zach :dude:

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Zak, I figures some of the bright minds here had already considered some of that, but I would have been remiss to not bring it up.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

PM recvd/ rspndd.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Goat; I see he still has not answered your question. I think you scared him :lol: :lol:

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

I was just trying to understand the rules because the web sites showed it as if they were bringing them all in. Guess by the response that is the case. Does not help our cause.

I plan to attend the meeting next week in Delray and really hope the effort by everyone on this site is successful. It would be a great thing.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Goat; It wont be easy as we are trying to change perception. But we sure appreciate your support. :thumright:

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Goat; I just read the replys. You really scared them! I espcially liked the ( donate the meat to the homeless shelter) comment. They obviously never heard of the FDA.

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

I actually was not trying to scare them. It was a reasonable inquiry. I added the following response to the thread .
-------------
Response to FS forum site:

I actually support shark fishing and have been doing it from the beach here in Jupiter since the 70's and I fished with the shark club on the west coast that used to fish the Venice pier. Was pretty cool that they even sold bonita in the bait shop for bait.

The reason for my inquiry is that the shark kill tournaments have brought out the activists and we are having our shark fishing shut down over here even though we are not having kill tournaments. The tournament here is tag and release and everyone else not in the tournaments also lets them go. Juno Pier just added regulations stopping all shark fishing and Delray Beach commission has an amendment in the approval stages to shut down all shark fishing on the beaches.

There used to be a shark kill tournament in Port Salerno for many years and that got shut down and it sounds like you are aware of what happened with the "are you man enough" tourney.

Our group is all catch and release and we do fish all over the state (east/west coast) but we are being shut down over here in part because the kill tournaments on the west coast with big sharks hanging on the scales and a couple of charter boats bringing in large hammerheads drew out a bunch of the activists and they are looking at all tournaments and trying to shut all of them down. They are also now working to put many of the sharks on a protected list so no one can fish for them even from a boat.

I've eaten shark in the past and it is very good. Unfortunately when a hundred people are bringing them in all at once to hang on the scales it gets a lot of attention. I am sure the commercial guys are bringing many more in than the tournaments but no one ever sees them since the go individually to the market and stay pretty low key.

My intention was really to let you know there are people out there who will try to shut you down. I am not one of those people. What I am trying to do is figure out how to keep us all from getting banned from shark fishing.

Hope you have a fun tournament.

Sean Paxton
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sean Paxton »

Let's all work to remind each other to keep this on topic with the task at hand. It's easy and oftentimes tempting to lose focus with a subject like this that involves the related aspects of legal, ethical, moral and personal opinion.

Although, of vital importance, catch & release, and even shark fishing are less the issue here than what we've discussed previously. At its core, this issue is of importance to any angler of any definition AND / OR any individual that values their rights as a citizen, and therefore, has a concern for broad, undefined, sweeping changes proposed by a few (as few as one) that could potentially affect the rights of many.

Stay The Course,
stp
SeanPaxton.com
AdventureAndWildlife.com

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

Agree and thanks for putting it in perspective.

Sean Paxton
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sean Paxton »

With a few days left, let's start getting a head count for those planning to attend the meeting this coming Tuesday in Delray. I've talked to a lot of people in pm's and on the phone that are committed. Anyone else, go ahead and post up here and / or give me a call or pm. Zach, and others on the committee spearheading this effort also have growing lists.

Our thanks go out to everyone that's provided their time, opinion, thought and input. It will all make a difference when the rubber meets the road.
stp
SeanPaxton.com
AdventureAndWildlife.com

Brooks Paxton II
Fisher

Post by Brooks Paxton II »

Like MJ said "I'll be there".

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

I will try to attend if someone can let me know directions from I-95. I will be traveling south from Jupiter. Also time and date. I do not plan to talk but will show up for support.

Thanks

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

http://www.mydelraybeach.com/NR/rdonlyr ... egular.pdf

Public Meeting: Tuesday July 21st, 2009
Regular meeting is at 6:00 p.m.
Public Hearings are at 7:00 p.m.

Address:

Comission Chambers
Delray Beach City Hall
100 NW 1st Avenue
Delray Beach, FL 33444

TERMINATOR
Fisher

Post by TERMINATOR »

This and other "Shark" bans along the Florida coast are simply one step towards banning fishing from the beachs.

1) It bans any form of cut bait. So I assume anything less than a whole shrimp or fish is illegal. No cut mackeral or mullet for ANY fish. What if a fish bites half my shrimp off and I reel it in??? I am guilty of using cut bait I guess???

2) What exactly IS a "Shark Rig"????

3) How do you as an angler prove your NOT Shark fishing but are in fact fishing for something other than Shark???

This law like most of the other "Shark Bans" is so vague as to effectively make all fishing from the beach illegal. Which is exactly what all the "beach walkers" want.

Orange Beach, AL had a similar ban enacted but fortunately the local law enforcement issued a statement saying that the would not hassle anybody that wasn't actively "chumming" for sharks. Apparently boats were drifting not far off shore doing the "Jaws" routine of ladling out blood and fish parts...not real smart near a swimming beach. That got it rolling when some of the beach goers saw that.

DeezNuts
Seasoned Fisher

Post by DeezNuts »

Looks like ignorance and fear win again. God bless America!

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”