Saltwater Federal License is coming

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
onshore
Seasoned Fisher

Saltwater Federal License is coming

Post by onshore »

So, what do you think about the Federal SW license proposed to go into effect this year with no fee and with a fee next year.

Writeup yesterday in Florida Today says we are one of the states with a state license that does not fully comply with the new federal regulations.

Should our state bring our license into compliance? or,
Will we have to purchase a federal license to fish in federal waters?

The feds want Florida to be part of their program because we have 1/3 the SW anglers on the Atlantic Coast.

What do you think ?
Bill
Beach & Bay Inspector

DeadBait
Weekend Warrior

Re: Saltwater Federal License is coming

Post by DeadBait »

Don't know much about it. Tell us more!

I'd rather have one license myself.

onshore
Seasoned Fisher

Post by onshore »

DeadBait wrote:Don't know much about it. Tell us more! I'd rather have one license myself.
Congress passed a bill for NOAA requiring a SW license in federal waters - beyond coastal limits which is 3miles on the atlantic coast and 15 miles from the gulf coast of FLa. Registration free in 2009 but will cost between $15-25 / year in 2010. Only a few states now have a SW lic. and they have the option of making their's compatible with the new fed. lic.
Florida has wording to do just that in their 2010 appropropriations bill. In the minds of those states that now have a lic. the biggest question is what proportion of the fed. lic. will come back to the individual state if they comply and make it one lic. in, let's say Florida.

The feds are reallin pushing for FL to join them cause we have nearly 1/3 of the total SW anglers on the Atlantic coast.

If we join the fed program, undoubtedly our lic. fee will go up in 2010. If not, and you fish offshore, you will have to have two lic in 2010 unless you fish only on a charter/head boat or hold a HMS permit.
Bill
Beach & Bay Inspector

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

It doesnt bother me if I have to pay for a SW license as long it helps our fishing overall.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”