Juno Fishing Pier Reports 2008

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
anubis10111
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Juno Fishing Pier Reports 2008

Post by anubis10111 »

Fished at juno yesterday, water was still murky, was there early morning till sundown. People were catching nice size macks and bluefish by the T. I only caught 4 bluefish and one mack. No pompano were being caught. Another thing there were lots of desent size croackers being caught by the middle hut. Weather was perfect.
R.I.P. Johnny
10/31/69-02/06/08

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

anubis10111 wrote:Fished at juno yesterday, water was still murky, was there early morning till sundown. People were catching nice size macks and bluefish by the T. I only caught 4 bluefish and one mack. No pompano were being caught. Another thing there were lots of desent size croackers being caught by the middle hut. Weather was perfect.

Thanks for the report....you guys have got water too murky and us - Too clear...... :rambo:
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

HMLHMLHML
Fisher

Post by HMLHMLHML »

Fished there from 2:00 am sat morn till 8:00am, 2:00-7:00 nothing around but 1-2 foot sharks, at sunrise the blitz was on, water was a bit murky, toss out any white jig, gotcha plug, or spoon and got macs, pomps, blues, jacks, ongoing blitz with 30-40 jigs and plugs going in an out on the T. :reeling:

Tony2
Weekend Warrior

Post by Tony2 »

I haven't fished Juno for a few weeks now. Is the water always murky like it has been? I got spoiled by the good summer fishing and look forward to it again. Is pompano the main species to target at Juno in the winter?

Thanks, Tony

Intheslot
Fisher

Post by Intheslot »

Was there Thursday PM. Water quality just borderline from murky.

Was inbetween sheds, saw some action on the T but didn't wander out that way. Caught three decent pomps on fleas, none on jig but saw only two others caught on jig. Makes sense given the just slighly murky water. At dusk some blues.

Heard the AM was better.

Good time of year just need the water to clean up a hair.

Intheslot
Fisher

Post by Intheslot »

Saturday morning :cry: ....nada for everyone except one keeper king.

Water was clear, too clear and too calm.

Need a front to mix it all up again.

Fishygoddess

Post by Fishygoddess »

Sunday afternoon to early evening - windy and cold, we caught a couple of blue runners and a blue fish. Some young ones caught more of the same and some whitings, but that's about it from Juno. By 6:30 pm, there were just two guys left fishing in the cold.

Fishygoddess

Post by Fishygoddess »

rob762 wrote:Boy - you get around... Anglins was much of the same....
:) And that's between trips to the museum and South Beach this weekend! Not always like that though. Too busy.

clubhunter
Fisher

Post by clubhunter »

Has the water cleaned up any??

Fishygoddess

Post by Fishygoddess »

Not too clear, but better than how it was a couple of weeks ago.

TarponRob
Fisher

Post by TarponRob »

It is cold in south carolina and I am not happy to miss the next month or so of fishing. The cobia should start moving in earnest by Thanksgiving. It is good to hear the water is clearing up a bit. If I only had the time, money and ability to come down in early December. Good things are coming.

I look forward to pictures and updates, so please keep them coming.
If your not there you can't get the bite.

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

Bluefish and sharks on the T and bluefish along the rail Tuesday night. Fished from 7:30 pm- 10:30 pm.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Thanks for the report Goat.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

Fished the pier again tonight. When I arrived at 5:30 one guy had a triple tail that was about 17 pounds and another guy had one about 10 pounds they caught sometime earlier. They had one more on shortly after I arrived but lost it. This was on the "T" and they were fishing close to the pilings. They left and the rest of the night only thing being caught was small sharks and there were a lot of them. I think they were Atlantic sharpnose. I gave up around 9:00 (Only 4 people out there when I left) and went to the Jupiter inlet. It was the same thing there. Only 4 people fishing and they were catching the same small sharks.
Juno police officer was on the pier for a bit. He threw out a couple of guys beers and let everyone know about the no alcohol ordinance. Only two guys were drinking and they weren't about to fess up that it was their beer. Anyhow I talked with the officer for a bit (was a good guy) and he said there have been quite a few car breakins along the beach and to be sure to take all your stuff with you and not leave it in the car. He also mentioned an armed robbery at the Gardens Mall, some Pizza place in WPB and also at a Dunkin Donuts in Delray.

Fishygoddess

Post by Fishygoddess »

Another slow day yesterday at Juno pier till mid afternoon. A few lil jacks and supposedly a couple of kings caught by the T, and that's about it. Water was crystal clear and weather was gorgeous.

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

Fished the pier again this evening (Monday 12/8) from 6:30 - 8:30. There were blue runners, small sharpnose and some spots. Soaked a ladyfish for 2 hours on the "T" but no takers. Nice night out though.

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

Fished the pier last night (12/16). Mostly runners and small sharks being caught.
The main group there was keeping all the runners to eat and the put them in coolers but they were tossing everything else they caught on the deck to die. One guy caught a big puffer and left it there to die. I couldn't stand watching it laying there so I questioned him if he was going to eat it and he said no (at least that is what it sounded like but could not really understand the language) so I asked him to put it back in the water. He tossed it back in.

Same thing with the small sharks. One guy was throwing them in the garbage can or on the deck to die. I got him to throw them back in and after that they threw everything back they weren't going to eat. I think they were calling me names but sounded more like clanking pans.

It was a nice night out and hopefully the blues, macks and pompano will show up again soon.

bigboyjames11
Old Salt

Post by bigboyjames11 »

Goat wrote:Fished the pier last night (12/16). Mostly runners and small sharks being caught.
The main group there was keeping all the runners to eat and the put them in coolers but they were tossing everything else they caught on the deck to die. One guy caught a big puffer and left it there to die. I couldn't stand watching it laying there so I questioned him if he was going to eat it and he said no (at least that is what it sounded like but could not really understand the language) so I asked him to put it back in the water. He tossed it back in.

Same thing with the small sharks. One guy was throwing them in the garbage can or on the deck to die. I got him to throw them back in and after that they threw everything back they weren't going to eat. I think they were calling me names but sounded more like clanking pans.

It was a nice night out and hopefully the blues, macks and pompano will show up again soon.

have you been out there when the bonita are running? everyone that comes over is left to die and then cut and thrown back in. its funny that people do that and then they say how there are no more fish around, or that they cant understand why they schools are so small. idiots.
only the big and strong survive

fishinChris
Seasoned Fisher

Post by fishinChris »

doesn't make sense to me
Chris

Catch and Release into the grease

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

bigboyjames11 wrote:
have you been out there when the bonita are running? everyone that comes over is left to die and then cut and thrown back in. its funny that people do that and then they say how there are no more fish around, or that they cant understand why they schools are so small. idiots.
No bad deed goes unpunished.

Intheslot
Fisher

Post by Intheslot »

Thanks to all who extend the effort to request other return unwanted fishing back to the ocean. You're absulutely right, if it isn't to be eaten it should be thrown back.

And I've been call a d*$# in clanging pan and many other languages as well. But you know, it's still the right thing to do.

I'm with you on this and you know if enough of us say something perhaps others will eventually get it.

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

Fished the pier tonight from 7:00 - 9:00. Saw one bluefish caught. I had my Diawa 50W with me and a couple of lady fish so I put one out. Nothing but crabs and smaller fish seemed to be tugging on it and it was torn up when reeled in.

Then I found a bonita head on the cutting board (I thought it was was strange to find a bonita but now I was feeling lucky) so I tossed it out of the north side of the tee. After about 30 minutes I saw a big hammer fin on the surface and then it went down and my line started to run slow. Then it stopped and then started slow again. I had a 7/0 circle (think it was owner) with another circle on wire as a trailer. Leader was about 5 feet of 300 mono (was planning on blacktips), then 100 yards of 100lb with the rest filled with 80lb. I haven't used circles much but I did what they say and held the rod straight at the fish and pushed the lever drag to set. Everything tightened up and I was on. It proceeded to spool me and I had things locked down as hard as I could and still hold on but it never stopped. With no line left on the reel I just held on and after the final big tug the line went slack. Reeled in and still had both of my hooks so maybe I was on the jaw and never really sunk in.

I usually use regular 9/0 carbon steel mustads so they will rust out if they stay in the fish but changed to circles recently to minimize damage. That is as big a carbon steel hook that I have been able to find. Used to use the bigger 12/0 hooks when I fish the Jupiter inlet with my 14/0 but they were not carbon steel and felt bad if I couldn't get it out and probably would not rust out.

Fun night.

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Nice report Goat!
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

fishinChris
Seasoned Fisher

Post by fishinChris »

very nice report.
Chris

Catch and Release into the grease

JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JDL »

Goat wrote:Fished the pier tonight from 7:00 - 9:00. Saw one bluefish caught. I had my Diawa 50W with me and a couple of lady fish so I put one out. Nothing but crabs and smaller fish seemed to be tugging on it and it was torn up when reeled in.

Then I found a bonita head on the cutting board (I thought it was was strange to find a bonita but now I was feeling lucky) so I tossed it out of the north side of the tee. After about 30 minutes I saw a big hammer fin on the surface and then it went down and my line started to run slow. Then it stopped and then started slow again. I had a 7/0 circle (think it was owner) with another circle on wire as a trailer. Leader was about 5 feet of 300 mono (was planning on blacktips), then 100 yards of 100lb with the rest filled with 80lb. I haven't used circles much but I did what they say and held the rod straight at the fish and pushed the lever drag to set. Everything tightened up and I was on. It proceeded to spool me and I had things locked down as hard as I could and still hold on but it never stopped. With no line left on the reel I just held on and after the final big tug the line went slack. Reeled in and still had both of my hooks so maybe I was on the jaw and never really sunk in.

I usually use regular 9/0 carbon steel mustads so they will rust out if they stay in the fish but changed to circles recently to minimize damage. That is as big a carbon steel hook that I have been able to find. Used to use the bigger 12/0 hooks when I fish the Jupiter inlet with my 14/0 but they were not carbon steel and felt bad if I couldn't get it out and probably would not rust out.

Fun night.
Nice report. Truth is, hooks of any kind usually do not rust out of fish. Barbed hooks can dig deeper over time, and the fish tend to form cysts around the hooks. If the fish are ever able to shed the hook it takes a long, long time.
Image Image Image

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

JDL wrote:Nice report. Truth is, hooks of any kind usually do not rust out of fish. Barbed hooks can dig deeper over time, and the fish tend to form cysts around the hooks. If the fish are ever able to shed the hook it takes a long, long time.
Thanks JDL, that was some great info. I always suspect that hooks dont rust as fast in the water compare to it when exposed to the open air.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

bolo wrote:
JDL wrote:Nice report. Truth is, hooks of any kind usually do not rust out of fish. Barbed hooks can dig deeper over time, and the fish tend to form cysts around the hooks. If the fish are ever able to shed the hook it takes a long, long time.
Thanks JDL, that was some great info. I always suspect that hooks dont rust as fast in the water compare to it when exposed to the open air.
http://www.worldwideanglermag.com/issue ... okrust.php

I wonder too...
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

Thank you for the information. I was going to do my own experiment but this answers the question.

Thanks for posting

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”