Bakers Haulover Inlet - 2009 Fishing Reports Only

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Bakers Haulover Inlet Fishing Report Thread

Post by njp32 »

went fishing today for the first time in almost a year.
i caught 2 small snook lost a couple more and caught a couple of undersized mangos. got cut off a few times by mystery fish. there were runners, cudas, mackerel, and small muttons caught. wildlife came over and caught a guy with undersized mangos in his cooler and gave him a ticket. bait was readily available all day by sabiki or cast net by the rocks. now that they have this metered parking it seems that now finding a spot to park wont be that much of a problem anymore. :lol:

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

nice work :toast:
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

malibuminix
Old Salt

Post by malibuminix »

Thanks for the parking info.Nice Snook.

chum on her face
Old Salt

Post by chum on her face »

nice little snook.

islandkitty
Weekend Warrior

Post by islandkitty »

Nice work. :toast:

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

BigBoiFishing wrote:
FriskyMullet wrote:We caught one off of bill bags on the rocks by the platforms that was 6ft long and took two guys to bring onto the platform. What can I say it was a slow day. :oops: The eel was so fat it couldn't ball up like the little ones do. It was unhooked and released. I do have a pic but i got to look for it as it was taken with an old school camera.

The secret is a really big hook and a large chunck of bait.......shhhhh.....don't tell anyone. That record is as good as yours. :thumright:
Thanks for releasing it.....I've caught his a$$ too, I bet yours was caught by the platform closest to Stiltsville...if it was.....THANKS. :mrgreen:

BTW, I cut the line close to the mouth to save my sinker & swivel. So I released him too for the enjoyment of others. :biglaugh:
The secret to eels is wire to close line with a 10/0 hook and a sqished live bait. Dip the bait between rocks at any jetty and boom there you have it yank the eel as fast as you can.

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

went to hauover again today. got 3 small cudas lost 3 more and half of a mutton snapper :lol: .man those cudas are fast. there wasnt as much bait around as last time. the school of big jacks came through in the late afternoon to harass the bait schools. the locals tell me that is rare b/c they havent been around very much lately... heres the the biggest cuda i caught today at 27 inches not big but good fun on 10 lb test.

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

went fishing late last night with the night crew to fish for the SECRET OVERSIZED POMPANO SSSHHHHHHH!!!!!! LOL when i got there there were 20 million 12 ft rods all of the lines crisscrossed over each other reminded me of something like a spiderweb :roll: . anyways i say to myself thats not worth it and go out to the little unoccupied corner. instead of casting to the bahamas like everybody else i cast about 10 ft from the rocks to see what sea monsters prowl the rocks in the dead of night in search of a crab dinner. :twisted: well after about a half hour im sitting in my chair dozing off thinking to myself man that was a stupid idea and then i see my rod double over :pale: :shock:. wide awake now i jump up and grab the rod and i instantly knew it was a big fish. after about 5 mins of tug of war in and out of the rocks my buddy shines the light in the water and i see a big silver fish with a long black lateral line. i hand off the rod and leader the fish up took a quick pic and threw him back. the whole time i had him up people were asking me for it and even when i threw it back some a-hole who i wouldnt give it to goes climbs down the rocks with a gaff while it is trying to swim off. :evil: i almost flipped when i saw that :mad: lucky it swam off before he could get to it. LUCKY... if he did get to it he would have went in the water with it. i dont play that sh*t. :auto: but any ways at 36 inches it was a new personal best :dude: . who woulda thought on a crab of all things... not the best pic as it was taken with my phone but you can make out the fish at least.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Congrats on your snook. It is cool to see a nice size fish swim off.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

BigBoiFishing
With skills like these "Who needs a boat"

Post by BigBoiFishing »

Even if it was slot and in season others must respect your decision on the future of YOUR catch. :toast:

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Love the oversized pompano secret spot. Nice snook!

BigBoiFishing
With skills like these "Who needs a boat"

Post by BigBoiFishing »

rebel33i wrote:
BigBoiFishing wrote:Even if it was slot and in season others must respect your decision on the future of YOUR catch. :toast:
Respect at Haulover?? Have you ever fished there?
Once upon a time not long ago.........

malibuminix
Old Salt

Post by malibuminix »

That is the reason a lots of people stopped fishing at Haulover.Most of those people would keep anything and have no respect for fish nor humans.And then braking into peoples cars and S...t.Not a people friendly place to fish.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

I missed Haulover Pier. :cry:
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

You all miss it or missed it?

Well, here is a pic with Haulover pier in the back ground it is from 1989, 1990 or 91 my daughter was about 4 or 5. It was taken at Balharbor jetty, I asked her to get me a sardine and she ended killing all the ones in my bucket so she brought my line in and gave me the one I was fishing with, LMAO

FysherKing
Seasoned Fisher

Post by FysherKing »

I have a question what is the best spot in haulover to fish cause the only spot I know is the part that is by the bait store and the marina and also by the bridges right side coming from golden beach but I really dont like that spot cause all the boats pass by there to close thanks in advance for any help
"A Bad Day of Fishing is Still Better than a Good Day at Work"
...Team Reel Life...

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

FysherKing wrote:I have a question what is the best spot in haulover to fish cause the only spot I know is the part that is by the bait store and the marina and also by the bridges right side coming from golden beach but I really dont like that spot cause all the boats pass by there to close thanks in advance for any help
In my personal humble opinion, the answer is "NOWHERE". Every time I have ever fished there, I have lost more rigs, weights and set-ups than at any other spot in the country :mad: , and have NEVER caught anything worth catching :( . But that may be because I'm a googan :biglaugh:
It is a far better thing to have caught and lost, than to have never caught at all.
Courage is not a lack of fear, but the ability to act while facing fear

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

:biglaugh:

snookman954
Seasoned Fisher

Post by snookman954 »

I would of thrown him in the water

ddratler
Old Salt

Post by ddratler »

FysherKing wrote:I have a question what is the best spot in haulover to fish cause the only spot I know is the part that is by the bait store and the marina and also by the bridges right side coming from golden beach but I really dont like that spot cause all the boats pass by there to close thanks in advance for any help
first of all way way to go strizzle :dude:

there's plenty of nice fish to be caught at haulover you just have to be willing to put up with some annoying googins to get to them.
if you walk out on the south jetty most of the rocks stop where the jetty starts to turn south. from the start of the curve to the end of the jetty out on the rocks is where ill fish for macs with lures. on the inside of the jetty (not the channel but facing towards the beach) are plenty of big and small barracuda along with snook and tarpon. snapper can be caught around the rocks of the whole jetty but youll get snagged allllotttt so i wouldn't even bother. free lining, or a fish finder rig with a small egg weight long leader and a long shank hook usually catch most of the fish for me. i would also bring a rod to cast out far with a bigger live bait because sometimes jacks bonito snook tarpon, whatever, are crashing baits pretty far out. also maybe a heavier light rod to freeline baits for snook and tarpon, and maybe to cast bigger lures at crashing fish. also watch out when using a sabiki, the bait like to stay close up to the rocks so make sure when you cast you have a good opening in the rocks to reel them in. the people who normally fish there do everything overkill, heavy wire leaders huge hooks, heavy weights, tall surf rods, and dont catch didily squat. always use the lightest leader possible smallest hook, lightest weight and i guarantee youll hook and catch more fish. i love going there on a crowded day and watching the peoples faces when i leave with a cooler full of nice macs and barracuda and all they have is a cooler full of warm bear and some left over rocos con poyo from last night..................... :patriot:
fishings only boring if you suck at catching fish

Dani D

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

ddratler wrote:
first of all way way to go strizzle :dude:

.... i love going there on a crowded day and watching the peoples faces when i leave with a cooler full of nice macs and barracuda and all they have is a cooler full of warm bear and some left over rocos con poyo from last night..................... :patriot:
Warm bear sounds quite good right now. Oh. Sorry. You meant BEER. Oh well. Danny, someday you're gonna have to go with me to haulover, and show what the HELL I'm doing wrong.
It is a far better thing to have caught and lost, than to have never caught at all.
Courage is not a lack of fear, but the ability to act while facing fear

Spear'em!
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Bakers Haulover Inlet - 2009 Fishing Reports Only

Post by Spear'em! »

Halover is a tough place to fish. North or south. With the new rules you can't even fish the north side from the wall out to the tip depending on the lifeguard arrival. It used to be when the lifeguards arrived and then you could fish the inlet from the rocks but no more.
You used to also be able to sneak in the park at night by parking by the charter boats or fuel dock. Not anymore. They catch you in the park and they might arrest you for trespassing. Last year the guards I know let us stay and some guys were fishing the wall and started being really loud. I walked over and told them if were quit we can fish. These drunk guys started yelling and asking if I could hear their echo! Yes i could and so could the people with power in the building. The police arrived and thru us out. Its been about a year but from what I've been told the people living the new Harbor House have complained that the night time fisherman are too loud and you will be arrested for trespassing if fishing the park. This is not by the rangers but park officer with badges. They are not friendly!
Now if you get caught in there look out. Also no fishing in the prime spots once the lifeguards arrive.
I've shot so many commercials there I even have a key to the gate but don't even risk it anymore.
Also the ticket you will receive on your car isn't a $22 parking ticket but $43 for some other volation.
The south side is a free for all good luck.

Great PICTURE with the pier in the background. What a great pier that was! That pier held more snook than you could imagine!
Lock & Load!

Spear'em!
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Spear'em! »

Wanted to edit my post but couldn't. cont.,

Just two days ago I went to see if the mullet where around. After a hour of netting I had a few herring and 3 mullet.
Went and and started drifting baits in the inlet. A guy comes out and see a guy hook up with a tarpon and sets up right next to me.
His rig. a small pyramid sinker and a pre-rigged 2/0 hook and leader using dead shrimp. he casted out and let the current take his line. It snagged mine. I reeled the mess up to my rod tip. as i think he knew he was wrong. I was using PP and the knot was not going to come undone. I tried my best to untangle it without cutting his line. It didn't work. I cut his line at the swivel. handed him his rig and his weight and said sorry it was a bad tangle. he went off and it almost went to blows. my line was still in the water and luckily I saved it from the rocks.
We all know cutting my PP wasn't the answer as the knots are hell and i still had 50 feet of line out.
Thats what you can expect. If someone up at SI did that kind jesterI would be amazed. Those bucktailers / plugers are brutal.
Lock & Load!

fishbox
Fisher

Post by fishbox »

FISHING REPORT Bakers Haulover Report Only

WOW at bakers haulover on the southside of the inlet: The blue fish run has been incredible for the last two days. Every one on the inlet have been making a killing of the bluefish as well as keeper size SNAPPERS. Also on both days some guys has been getting some amazing barracuda's on tube lures. bait sardines have been very plenty full to the point that bait boat had been seen several times aday making net cast and bring them in full all over the inlet.

caprifisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by caprifisher »

Bluefish??? Or do you mean Blue Runners....at least thats what I saw last weekend .Yeah there are Snapper ,but most of them are undersize............

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”