Jetty Park "fishing Reports" 2012

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
opiato
Old Salt

Re: Jetty Park "fishing Reports" 2012

Post by opiato »

Yeah, its only one piece of the puzzle. Still gota consider surf conditions, water clarity, weather, seasons/temps, winds, and then count your lucky stars... But I say if you got time to fish, just go fish. Its the ocean! Some days will be better than others, but theres always fish there

Eman305
Weekend Warrior

Post by Eman305 »

What do you mean dredging, like for gold?

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

How longs that process go on for?

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Thanks guys! Opiato, I caught the red on a live mullet on a Carolina rig right next to the Pilings. it was 21 inches so i managed to horse it out from under the pier, but if I had hooked anything bigger I would have been schooled... Flounder was pretty much the same way, the drum was on shrimp on a chicken rig Chucked out... Hopefully the weather is good next weekend, because i will definitely be out there!!

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

I am heading out tomorrow, and hopefully i will get some fish. Will post report soon....

Cannible
Weekend Warrior

Post by Cannible »

Never been to Jetty park

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

jettypark28 wrote:Damn i'm falling behing ... i need to get right in my head and hit the park more
often.... the only down side right now is all the freaking people fishing for Ribbonfish.
I know its wrong but i waiting for Gozilla to jump out of the water... well i was
actully yelling it :lol: My gf kept yelling of me to quit.. and thats enough
of that rant.. You know who you are... :scold: :scold:
:uplol: yeah, i cant wait for some time off from school so i can go on a week night and have that whole pier to myself. thats the best. thanks for the report. that cobia's amazing. i'll be trying my luck tonight. hopefully ill get my red this time. no ladyfish :wink: last night?

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

I heard about the cobia, but i would have never believed it if i didn't see that video!! Today was a bust... I fished from 1 - 8:30 , I was fishing a spot in the park and at about 4:00 these two idiots in a boat come and set up right on top of me, and i was pissed... They apparently didn't speak English or understand sign language so i decided to move. They left in about an hour and i went back to my spot and hooked 4 big fish, but i kept on loosing them due to the circle hooks i had on i think? What rig do you guys use for fishing 2-3 inch mullet on the bottom? i use a Carolina with the hook in the mouth but Even though i gave the fish 20 seconds to chew the bait (BIG flounder or reds based on the fights) it would spit the hook right at the rocks, and there would be teeth marks halfway up the mullet.. I am thinking of using a homemade rig exactly like a Carolina but with two hooks kind of like a stinger rig? what suggestions do you guys have? The mullet are THICK!! and good sizes too!! But i am not seeing too many fish feeding on them? I kept on seeing the guys with green floats last weekend , and wondering what they were up to, but now it makes sense. It was a nice day, but hopefully next weekend the fishing will be a little better...

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Thanks for the tips! I normally don't use rod holders, what i do is i cast out, and slowly bounce the rig on the bottom and when i feel a tap i let the fish eat and aim my rod tip at the fish and reel really fast.. I usually hook flounders and reds in the corner of the mouth but this was weird.. These were BIG fish, and were not fighting like ribbons. I usually free line too, but after dark it gets tricky because all the guys i have talked to said not to flash a light on the water where you are fishing cus it spooks the fish and i free-line right on the rocks for snapper , but it is hard to track the bait in the water so after dark i usually stick to bottom rigs? you have any tips for free-lining after dark? Thanks for the help!!

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

do u set the hook at all or just start reeling in? I still set the hook even with circles, but not as dramatically as with j's. Wonder what ya had. There was an awful lot of ribbon fish out there. I was even gettin em in my cast net when lookin for mullet. but those skinny guys cant feel that big. all I hooked was a grunt and catfish. My friends girl got a 2-3ft blacktip on a dead finger mullet out in the middle. Thats about it. Sunset-bout 3am. Mostly lowtide, which didnt help either. But that water was diiiiirty. Cant wait for them to finish dredging

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Hopefully i will find out this weekend lol. Thanks for the report and i will make sure to let you guys know how it goes on saturday!

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

I am heading out tomorrow. I will post report after...

pinoyboykev
Weekend Warrior

Post by pinoyboykev »

HAHA I know what you mean by all the asians man. I'm half asian myself, but dang do they get annoying sometimes. Over at the skyway they love to cast their sabikis over your lines non stop. Best is when I hooked up a king and they all start throwing their spoons with trolling weights right where I hook up. Nevertheless they broke me off cause they were using braid and I was done for that day. I just about ran them all over with my truck if I didn't keep a cool head lol.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Lol, :uplol: i prefer day fishing so i am not experiencing this problem. Took the yak out and fished the beach next to the jetty today, and i managed 2 keeper flounders :happyfisherman: !!
The weirdest things happen at the park. last week it was mullet central, and my 4 dozen live shrimp went to waste so this week i got 1 dozen jumbos and 1 dozen regulars and guess what? the mullet are no where to be found!! :scratch: :scratch: so anyway after a long time i manage to net around 2 dozen good sized ones and my friend and i paddle out. We were using jig-heads bouncing the mullet on the bottom and total tally was 2 flounder, 1 jack, 6 mango's(all undersized)and that was it. Coolest thing ever happened though. I was sitting on my yak drifting and out of nowhere a tarpon explodes out the water no more than 10 feet from the yak, probably feeding on some bait fish... At around 4:30 stopped yak fishing because a storm was approaching... it was terrible fishing and terrible weather for the rest of the afternoon so we left around 6... Anyone know what happened to the mullet?

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Yeah, next week I am going to be stopping in the river to net... This week I was completely unprepared.. Showed up at the park and looked around and I was like WTH, where is the mullet lol..
Jettypark28- thanks for the tip, I like snapper, but I love flounder lol... Snapper have been a by catch for me recently, but when I start hitting the park at night that is when I target them, I find that I catch the bigger ones then... I also noticed those huge bunkers, and I was thinking those would probably make good baits, but I never tried them out... Going to be out there next Saturday too so maybe I will see someone out there...

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Guess im not too disapointed I skipped the park this wknd. if I have to see another ribbon fish, im gona punch the angler that hooked it. Last time I was there, I felt like I was at a rave not a fishing pier. I think im gona make the journey to sebastian next week. :reeling:

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

opiato wrote:Guess im not too disapointed I skipped the park this wknd. if I have to see another ribbon fish, im gona punch the angler that hooked it. Last time I was there, I felt like I was at a rave not a fishing pier. I think im gona make the journey to sebastian next week. :reeling:
the mullet are very thick there. im talking very thick.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Yeah, next week i will definitely not depend on the park for bait... I sometimes stop at the boat ramp, but on Saturday there is a lot of traffic there... Hopefully the fishing is going to get better as the run goes on...

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”