Dania Pier Fishing Reports 2012 "ONLY REPORTS"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
Green Tide
SHARKER

Re: Dania Pier Fishing Reports 2012 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by Green Tide »

You need to read the snapper regs again. You are heading the right way bait wise and I will bring the brewskis when you find the 10# snappers.
Good luck and keep the reports coming.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

talme002:

Snappers are regulated, but not totally banned. Download the Saltwater Fishing Regulations here:
http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/

I wouldn't get my hopes up for 10lb snappers from any local piers though, that's a once in a lifetime catch from there. Snook get that size frequently though, but the season's closed on them til Sept.

:reeling:

talme002
Fisher

Post by talme002 »

Green Tide wrote:You need to read the snapper regs again. You are heading the right way bait wise and I will bring the brewskis when you find the 10# snappers.
Good luck and keep the reports coming.
HAHA thanks yeah I re-read the restrictions and that only pertains to Red Snapper, which is closed 7/11-5/31. I'm a new fishermen so I'm rather ignorant as to what's near the pier, however I've been doing a lot of research!

goodolmikey
Seasoned Fisher

Post by goodolmikey »

also includes vermillion snapper

talme002
Fisher

Post by talme002 »

Caught what appeared to be an 8" Lane Snapper using squid today at Dania (threw it back), windy as hell and not much bites.

talme002
Fisher

Post by talme002 »

Got to Dania at 9am two gentlemen were fishing on the T when I got there and one gave me a 12" Blue Runner he reeled in. It was windy and rainy as hell! I kept getting my line snagged at the bottom, any ideas on how to avoid that? Lost about 3 leaders :x BTW I use 30# mono leader on 20# braid with a bottom fishing rig using a 2 oz pyramid weight.

xmarlyx
Seasoned Fisher

Post by xmarlyx »

try a bank or egg sinker next time. itll help with snagging
- Anthony

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

:stupid:

only use pyramids when you need to hold bottom in an area with only sand or mabe a little grass..other than that stick to the round stuff

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

8) Yeah, egg sinkers don't roll in the current and fall into a hole eh? Any weight can get stuck on the reef at any given time. Btw, I have fished the T the entire day with only pyramids and not a single hangup. Matter of fact, I fish all over that pier and around rocks out there with only pyramids.
............... Image

Don't even think about it

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

im sure you know the area very well and that's the reason for the lack of snags

just saying...from experience pyramids get stuck more than bank/egg sinkers..of course EVERYTHING is capable of snagging...trial and error i guess

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

agonzalez0 wrote:im sure you know the area very well and that's the reason for the lack of snags
8) No it isn't. Rocks are rocks. They don't get up and move. The entire 2nd half of the pier is basically reef. One big thing when someone goes to reel in their line it to start cranking fast and don't stop till you are free. Doesn't mean a thing with your shape of lead.
............... Image

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Zebco wrote:
agonzalez0 wrote:im sure you know the area very well and that's the reason for the lack of snags
8) No it isn't. Rocks are rocks. They don't get up and move. The entire 2nd half of the pier is basically reef. One big thing when someone goes to reel in their line it to start cranking fast and don't stop till you are free. Doesn't mean a thing with your shape of lead.
Yep that is the biggest thing I have found...lift your rod tip up high and reel fast to get your rig off the bottom.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

i guess i'm just scarred from getting hung up so many times when i first started fishing jetties/piers etc.... it wasnt till someone told me to reel in fast when catching bait off the haulover jetty that i started to keep my rig.

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

8) Btw,.. there were some Muttons out there yesterday. I wasn't there, but I talked to someone that was and seen the proof.
............... Image

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i heard the same thing tommy
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

malibuminix
Old Salt

Post by malibuminix »

Fished the pier this afternoon from 4.30-7.30.When I arrived I saw some bait at the front but when I looked at the T and I saw the big pod of bait I had to go there.I don't like to fish at the T because of the crowd but I had no choice.Lots of Asian's catching blue runner left and right and some guys fishing the north side catching Mackerel.It was pretty hard to pass by all of those blue runners and small Jacks but ended up with 5 Mack's between me and my friend and I saw 3 Bonito and 2 keeper Snook caught.Around 7 the fishing slowed down and the bait was chased away from the pier and you can see the Snook ant whatever else was there busting them.
On the sad note.I heard about some Asian's catching and keeping a lot's of under sized Snapper, When they were leaving I went to the front and told the lady about it and she told me that she can't do anything.I told the 2 guys about the illegal Snapper and they showed me the cooler which was completely full of blue runner's.You could have hidden a Snook in there and no one would even see it from the blue runners.

westcoast
Seasoned Fisher

Post by westcoast »

there were lots of short muttons caught today, and it wasn't just the "asians" who were keeping them
California-Florida fisherman

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

8) Welcome to Immigrantsville.

I have been giving you lame dogs a head start on the Snook. Watch out. I'm coming soon to knock them out again as usual. Googan rookies.
............... Image

kung-fu fisherman
Fisher

Post by kung-fu fisherman »

Ribbon fish were everywhere on Sunday, something that I usually see it on Winter.
Any Report lately after Tuesday ?

bluemack
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bluemack »

Took a 10 minute walk at dania pier, lots of bait in the surf being chased by jacks,runners,cuda, needle fish and snook..everybody catching runners on squid. Saw a guy from the beach about 100 yards north of pier hes hooked so i decided to go down and take a look, it was a monster snook!! Grabbed it and brought it under the pier, there were construction guys there so he borrowed their tape measure, he quickly made a mesurement from the eye to the tail and qiuckly shouted 32!!! I was looking at it and it was 36! He quickly tossed the tape measure to the guy and hauled the poor snook, there were 4 of us saying its too big but it fell on deaf ears..talking about poaching right in front of my eyes!..called FWC to report the incident..

zeenman1
Weekend Warrior

Post by zeenman1 »

bluemack wrote:Took a 10 minute walk at dania pier, lots of bait in the surf being chased by jacks,runners,cuda, needle fish and snook..everybody catching runners on squid. Saw a guy from the beach about 100 yards north of pier hes hooked so i decided to go down and take a look, it was a monster snook!! Grabbed it and brought it under the pier, there were construction guys there so he borrowed their tape measure, he quickly made a mesurement from the eye to the tail and qiuckly shouted 32!!! I was looking at it and it was 36! He quickly tossed the tape measure to the guy and hauled the poor snook, there were 4 of us saying its too big but it fell on deaf ears..talking about poaching right in front of my eyes!..called FWC to report the incident..

Tell us what he looks like. If I see him I'll make sure to keep an eye on him.
Get your Concealed Weapons License: http://www.homeandselfdefense.com

catch and release fisherman (fish are my friends!)

zeenman1
Weekend Warrior

Post by zeenman1 »

surfcaster wrote:I was on the beach fishing and saw this happen. Thank you for reporting it to law enforcement. They arrived within minutes and stopped the guy in the parking lot. As I was leaving they had his truck blocked in and he will face the music. He was claiming that he was new to fishing and did not know the regs - contradicted by what he said after measuring. Job well done to the law enforcement officers who responded so quickly. Could you post the phone number of Fish and Game to report further infractions? I'm going to start carrying my cell phone. Good job everyone.
Wow, my tax dollars at work!
Get your Concealed Weapons License: http://www.homeandselfdefense.com

catch and release fisherman (fish are my friends!)

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Awesome :toast:

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Wow, they rarely arrive within minutes! :thumright: Was the fish caught fishing from the pier? If not, I wonder if he had a snook tag.

al305
Weekend Warrior

Post by al305 »

Good stuff.

malibuminix
Old Salt

Post by malibuminix »

He caught the Snook on the beach north of the pier.I throw him my tape measure from the pier and told him that Snook look's to big.He measured it and said 32".He throw my tape measure back and took the fish to his truck.Then he came up to the pier to get his stuff.Next thing I noticed was the construction guys talking about him and calling the cop's.I was leaving the pier 5 min later and there he was with 2 cop's.They blocked his truck and put the Snook in the back of his truck.When I went there to look at the fish there came FWC.That Snook was 40".BSO came as well when I was leaving so I don't know what happened to him but FWC told me that was not his first offense.And I know him from the pier and his brother as well.

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

8) Who was it?
............... Image

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Wow, he's toast.