Palm Beach Surf Fishing Reports 2011-2012 "Reports Only"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
BateMaster
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Palm Beach Surf Fishing Reports 2011 "Reports Only"

Post by BateMaster »

Thanks! I was actually looking to know about the Jupiter area, so that helped!

migs24
Old Salt

Post by migs24 »

So I decided to walk the beach yesterday afternoon in hopes of getting at least a snook or two around Boynton/lake worth area. I got to my location at just the beginning of the outgoing tide and started throwing a lure around. Just started thinking to myself "hey there should be some tarpon here by now".... As soon as I said my that my lure gets SLAMMED about 4 yds from shore and the fight is on. This tarpon took about 250 yds and then beyond the sand bar before I stared to feel the heat from the reel creep up on to my right hand on the rod. I didn't realize how hot my reel got until I tried to tighten my drag.. I couldnt leave my hand on the spool to slow him down and I was afraid to tighten down more worried the reel would get too hot. I had no choice and threw some salt water on it. It's a Penn it'll live. The fight went on and it was a tug of war between this tarpon and my 30lb braid for 37 mins.. as I was fighting him in, another tarpon swam up next to him (or her) and kept side swiping at it. Either it was some feeble attempt to save his friend or trying to rape the vulnerable lol... no idea... my arm is still pretty sore. Anywho, after releasing the tarpon healthy I walked the beach for about another hour or so and ended up with 3 medium jacks, a small snook and one 12in mangrove snapper. The fishing is starting to pick up. Here's a couple of pics..
oh and my scale only goes up to 45lbs and was wondering if anyone could help me guesstimate the weight of this tarpon. I don't wanna be over-dramatic and give too high of a number. Thanks.
Lure removal.

Holding the fish.

And the little mangrove.. tarpon and mangrove were both caught on the same lure :biglaugh:

And no pics of the jacks or snook.. too small.

mogenmyle
Seasoned Fisher

Post by mogenmyle »

tarpon roll together during there spawns they stay together ive caught 150+ tarpon in biscanye bay and for the whole fight on the flats 1 or 2 tarpon would be be following them rubing and what its cool

skee
Seasoned Fisher

Post by skee »

Nice catches!! What type of lure did you use to catch that tarpon and snapper? Awesome! :D

migs24
Old Salt

Post by migs24 »

Thank you.

coolcow
Seasoned Fisher

Post by coolcow »

Hearsay of a large, large, large hammer off south PBC beaches within the last day. I don't want to say the size because I'd sound like a maniac. Does anyone have info about this?

Greenlaw
Fisher

Post by Greenlaw »

Awesome catch!!! Nice job... What type of lure was it?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Went up to Hobe Sound for a few hours this afternoon to get some sun at the beach, brought a couple rods to try and get a few whiting for dinner. Lots of whiting in the first trough but they were small. Put one out live on my Stradic 4000 and it got nailed by a big snook, fought him for a while and then he frayed my 20 lb flouro leader. Got a surprise keeper pompano on a whiting rig on dead shrimp, wasn't expecting that on a flat calm day in August.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Nice report, Rory! Looks like you guys had a really nice day! Nice Pomp, too! Was that dinner?
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

WetWillie wrote:Nice report, Rory! Looks like you guys had a really nice day! Nice Pomp, too! Was that dinner?
Yes sir, I have a strict catch and release policy when it comes to pompano...they get released into a broiler pan with butter and lemon :mrgreen:

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Like I told you they are there year round just like in Sebastian. That pomp looks like it has a good size to it. Dinner for two and left overs for work I should say. :toast:

Permit53
Old Salt

Post by Permit53 »

nice pomp PP
Fish like its the last cast you will ever make.

migs24
Old Salt

Post by migs24 »

Nice pompano PP. I was trying to get some whiting myself 2 Saturday's ago and ended up landing 11 pompano on cut shrimp off lake worth. All were small minus one keeper that measured at 15in. Went back to the same spot this weekend and ended up with no whiting and the pomps disappeared. Friend of mine was on lake worth pier yesterday and said he saw 2 pomps get pulled up. I think our seasons are all screwy... I don't even know what's going on anymore lol

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Nice pomp. :toast: :toast:

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

rare wrote:
cudaman wrote:Dinner for two and left overs for work I should say. :toast:
That must have been some strong beer Ricky had at the pier. Dinner for 2? I see a snack...

Not everybody eats the way you do. I don't think I have ever seeing you not chewing on something for more that 10 minutes straight, LOL....That beer was great and the 5 dollar one at the restaurant killed me and my wallet, LOL

cronced
Fisher

Post by cronced »

Had a pretty productive day yesterday, including a few firsts. In the morning I took my newly acquired stand up paddleboard (SUP) around the canals by Northlake Ave and caught my first fish from a SUP, a decent sized bluefish hitting a topwater. Saw a bunch of snook and tarpon too, but no luck on them.

Last night I hit the beach in Jupiter and got my first beach snook to go along with the jacks that were there as well, all on chrome spoons. Pretty sweet day of fishing and not bad on catching either!

firefighter 76
Fisher

Post by firefighter 76 »

Hey everyone was wanting to take my dad out fishing the beach somewhere not too far away.. palm beach and or martin county . Usually we go out on my boat but its buried right now.. any suggestions for a place to fish from the beach would be helpful..
thanks
Mark

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

migs24 wrote:oh and my scale only goes up to 45lbs and was wondering if anyone could help me guesstimate the weight of this tarpon.Image
in the 80 pound range. maybe 90.

Floridahogfish
Old Salt

Post by Floridahogfish »

fished the beach last nite, caught bluefish, catfish, ribbionfish, ladyfish, and 2 types of sharks. overall fishing was great basically as soon as i casted out my bait and hit the bottom i was on 8) cant ask for better action than that lol. going tonite as well heard that there has been some redfish around
Team Ruff Around The Edges
"Make Money Take Money"

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

It was a hot bite tonight. Hit high tide at 1030pm and slayed the snook. Caught 10 all shorts. Using a new sized plug that has for sure found a place in my fishing tackle. Oh yeah and the ocean is swarming with ladyfish. I can't shake them. I caught so many that I can now tell the difference between a ladyfish strike and a snook strike, in the dark with my eyes closed. I really don't want to catch any more ladyfish this year. I did reel in one third of a ladyfish that something chomped. I also almost got dumped on my stradic 5000 with 15# mono untill mystery fish fryed my 30# leader and lost my brand new 8 dollar plug. I hate paying 8 dollars for a plug. :toast:

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Great report. I'll be out this weekend in the Hobe Sound area, hope to fill a cooler up with bait for the Tortugas.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Where I was fishing there was very little to no mullet. It seemed the fish were just hanging around waiting to ambush mullet when, and if they were to run the gauntlet. :toast:

Floridahogfish
Old Salt

Post by Floridahogfish »

fished the beach again last night ended up with some bluefish again a couple of ladyfish and got myself a keeper redfish 8), overall fishing has been great from the beach
Team Ruff Around The Edges
"Make Money Take Money"

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I had a great thursday friday nights on the south county beach. Fished high tide from 1030pm till 3am both nites catching a total of 15 short snook, 1 overslot, and countless bluefish and ladyfish. Everything was right in the wash. Casted a short plug that casts well in the Wind, the blue color and red and white color worked very well. Slow retrieve bumping the bottom and rocks. Get out there its on for sure.

mgall08
Fisher

Post by mgall08 »

Hey Goliath,

You said bumping along the bottom. but also mentioned plugs? What did you mean... Just looking for tips

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

mgall08 wrote:Hey Goliath,

You said bumping along the bottom. but also mentioned plugs? What did you mean... Just looking for tips
He means he was bouncing the plugs off the bottom.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

mgall08 wrote:Hey Goliath,

Head to the beach or jetty and cast a small sized, wind friendly plug from the sandbox due east, slowly retrieve, and you will understand "Bumpin the bottom." Get out there and do it brah!! :toast: Good luck hope you catch um up.

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”