Pompano Pier Fishing Reports 2007

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
Forum God
Weekend Warrior

Pompano Pier Fishing Reports 2007

Post by Forum God »

This thread is for Pompano Pier Fishing Reports.
Last edited by Forum God on Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

Written at 10 am Thursday, 21 December, 2006:

The Pompano Fishing Pier is now OPEN.

It is $3.00 for Adults to fish, $1.00 for Spectators, Children under 12 are FREE

Current hours of operation: 7 am - 11 PM

After Xmas, they expect to open 24/7/365

3 Rod limit.

Parking is $2.00 weekdays, $4.00 weekends. The area in front of the buildings are designated for the handicapped. Use the public lot across the street.

The Bait & Tackle shop have frozen bait. Waiting for their license for live bait, which should be a matter of days.

There are vending machines with beverages and snacks.
Restrooms.
The live wells on pier have new pump & are running strong.

I have verified independently that the pier IS OPEN now, however other information posted may be subject to change.

It was obtained during telephone conversations with the City of Pompano Beach, and additional contact with the property lease holders and pier management operators. I am not responsible for the information provided, although I believe it to be accurate.
Master Baiter

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

I will confirm it is open, I was there first thing this morning after reading in sun Sentinel that it was to open at 8am.

Spanish macks were there and chaseing the Pompano tube rigs with the water bobers as normal, the macks at this pier love live shrimp. just a little of info if your going try a live shrimp.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

WHOOOO HOOOO !

WTG BF with the first report of the NEW PP Era.

Cannot wait to get back to my old haunt, though because I Work closer will still fish DFP more often I am sure.

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

Decided to try Pompano Pier today. Stopped at Atlantic B&T for some live shrimp, They had a sale box by the register with Gotcha's at $2.39 each. Pretty good price.

We arrived at the pier about 3PM.

Before I get to the catching, or lack of catching part, there are some other things that need to be said about the pier.

First, they need trash cans. HELLO! Trash cans on the pier, please.

The 3 rod limit is enforced. Not 3 rods and a bait rod. It is a 3 rod limit. (We tried. But they let us leave the extras in the tackle shop instead of returning them to the car. Said we could come back and switch out if we wanted to.)

Did I mention trash cans are sorely needed.

OK, on with the "fishing report".

Conditions were windy and surf was up. Tough conditions. Put a chum block down, hoping for bait to no avail.

Second cast, my fishing buddy hooks up on a Gotcha on his throwing stick. Big fight, turned out to be a very nice 5 lb jack.

Someone with a "cobia" rod and big reel asked for and received it to use as bait.

We continue to toss arti's hoping for some mack for dinner. Reached into my tackle box and also tried several other's in my arsenal of ole fashioned fishing techiniques, and finally switched to a popping cork and live shrimp.

We lost a few, and kept 5 between us. Fresh fish dinner has been consumed. A backup fish in the fridge for tomorrow.

Also saw mutton, grouper, runner, jack, mack, margate, cuda, and others I've forgotten on the pier.

Than the fellows with the big "Cobia" Rod, Reel, and 5 lb live jack for bait are on. I scurry for my camera, because I want to see a cobia that ate a bait that size.

Fish on:

I think we need a bigger pier net:

Sheesh, some blacktip ate the cobia bait. Surprise surprise.

The line was cut. Hope the hooks rust out quick and the fish continues to thrive.

Tourists came out, and xtheline played really nice guy and let little Tim catch his first fish! That's his Pa behind him.

My name is Tim, and this is my first fish!

The action was not what I had hoped for, the conditions definitely not optimal. Plenty of fish caught.

That's my story as I remember it, and I'll stick to it.
Last edited by Master-Baiter on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Master Baiter

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

wildcat wrote:THERES SOMTHING WRONG WIT DA PIC.........i dont see the live wells r they still there
This morning at about 10 am, after spending over an hour on the telephone gathering, and verifying the accuracy, of information I received, I wrote,
"The live wells on pier have new pump & are running strong."
But since a picture is worth a thousand words, .....

:roll:
Last edited by Master-Baiter on Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

JohnnyBlaze wrote:
3 rodsssssssss ugh
That does suck, 3 + Bait stick is perfect imho.....but hey, we DO NOT WANT DANIA PIER IN POMPANO....lol

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

Glad to hear that Pompano Pier has reopened. That was my old stomping ground growing up down there as a teenager. Looking forward to fishing it again, as well as Anglins, next time I'm down. :toast:

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Anyone know the # to the pier offhand - I need to get some info straight

3 Rods....
24 hours yet?.......
Parking paid at pier or at lot stand?......
Live Shrimp yet?
Crabs?
Chum and bag available at baitshpo etc.......

Just exactly what the deal is....Yknow?

Thanks !

Gonna try to hit it Sunday AM couple hours just to get reaquainted, but only if they are open early early - I like to have chgum slick goin and bait in the well long before sunup, since I will need to turn back into a pumpkin and help Mrs Cookin by 9 or so.

Anyone been out this week?

Sharkman954? I know you been dyin to start slingin that new AVET Santa brought ya.....lol
Hammerhead?

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

HammerHd wrote:
you pay the lot guy for parking but you even have to pay for the parking in front of the pier now.
That Blows....I used to get there early and park free. Wonder if they get pissy about folks parkin there before they get there and surf fishing in the meantime....sheesh......Hope the new owners do not Yahoo that pier up too badly.

Does not sound good so far.

I'll go when it turns 24/7. Lete em work a few kinks out - get the baitshop stocked up a bit.

DFP is close to work so the lunch - prework thing will not change....Anglins is a bit $$ but damn empty most weekends so I will keep on there for early AM weekend action I suppose.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

HammerHd wrote:Its going to be the same as Deerfield pier and Juno pier because its the same guy who runs those piers. So same rules and everything like that.
Its only going to be better in the long run
Do not know his name at DFP - I think he is 'the man" though...Guy about 5-9 or so dark hair possibly aisian decent?

If so, nice guy and I LOVE what he has done at DFP. Did you know thay powerspray that baby down EVERY AM ! It always sparkles. and admission and parking combined at $4 covers it.

They really do not enforce the 3 rod limit though...but the folks there at the gate/baitshop are super nice, clean and friendly....

Would be nice if Pomp did allow beer again though :(
It made the all-nighters a bit more fun for those of us over 21.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Nice Fishing !! For some reason the chill brings them AJ's closer in I think.

Next time you see Tom ask him for the Handout on the way to tell Lesser from Greater AJ from Banded Rudderfish. Best method I have ever seen and definately foolproof unlike most others. Good Keeper Grover and it is funny - all summer long I caught Cero's identical in size to that one trolling pilchards in front of the pier just to the S of the T when it was closed.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

HammerHd wrote:Thanks cookingman. So what are those? lesser ajs?
I think so, but you cannot tell without looking at the gills to be 100% sure. IF you open up the plate, the striations on the gills start at the rear of the gill plate and stop just before the skull on one and do not stop but contine to on and meet the skull on another. That elimates one from the 3 possibilities. Then from there you look at where the eye lines up to the end of the mouth, I think.....I do not have it with me - it is in my box.

Tommy is that right?....I forget exactly.

Man, we should scan and post that thing online. Too many AJ's are coming up this year, which is a great problem to have I suppose :) Folks should not have to guess as I / most folks have over the years.

Tom, If you can fax me a clean one to my office tomorrow, I will do it if I can....

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

Cookinman wrote:
HammerHd wrote:Thanks cookingman. So what are those? lesser ajs?
I think so, but you cannot tell without looking at the gills to be 100% sure. IF you open up the plate, the striations on the gills start at the rear of the gill plate and stop just before the skull on one and do not stop but contine to on and meet the skull on another. That elimates one from the 3 possibilities. Then from there you look at where the eye lines up to the end of the mouth, I think.....I do not have it with me - it is in my box.

Tommy is that right?....I forget exactly.

Man, we should scan and post that thing online. Too many AJ's are coming up this year, which is a great problem to have I suppose :) Folks should not have to guess as I / most folks have over the years.

Tom, If you can fax me a clean one to my office tomorrow, I will do it if I can....

Find it here:

viewtopic.php?p=19183#19183
Master Baiter

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

Good report and nice pics. That Mutton looks like it was good eating. :toast:

bluerunner
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bluerunner »

Very nice reports guys. What type bait used??
Bluerunner say- If you teach a man to fish, then thats one less fish for you :)

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Good intel Robbie and thanks for posting the regs on the AJ's MB

Good on ya both !

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Sharkman954 wrote:It is 24/7 now.As of last nite it open 24/7
Right on - I have to hit it quite early also ( 4 A ) to be able to get some good hours in before I need to help out at home. Rijkaard, maybe we could do thjis as your 'welcome home' fishing? I should be good next weekend....

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE PHONE NUMBER TO POMPANO PIER??
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

GO4EM wrote:DOES ANYONE HAVE THE PHONE NUMBER TO POMPANO PIER??

954-773-1346
Master Baiter

phillybass71
BOATLESS FISHING Honorary Guide

Post by phillybass71 »

Nice to see your return give me a call and we'll find a time to hook up and go fishing. :D :D :D
Plz put back the small ones.

Gotcha
KING MACKEREL

Post by Gotcha »

yea it's open but what's biting? no reports

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Sharkman954 wrote:The last few days there has been a good amount of macks at first light and they showed up again as the sun was going down.There has been some mangroves i gave 1 away that was 17 inches and 2 other that were 13-14 inches.There has also been some undersized mutton caught each day i have been there.There has also been jacks and keeper AJ's.There has been some lil snook in the surf in the day and some tarpon around at night only.

Robbie
Nice report Robbie! Good work on the grovers ! Nice conditions today, looks like if they hold up - could be a good weekend.

Do you know a guy by the name of Ben who sometimes fishes for pomps there....Black guy? He was there this Am with live fleas and did not do well.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Sharkman954 wrote:Is he about 6 ft and 220????If so YEP
Nah, I am 6' and this guy was a lil shorter, but still prolly about 220 though -

Thin moustauche - Real nice guy.

Lomax
Old Salt

Post by Lomax »

Cookinman wrote:
Do you know a guy by the name of Ben who sometimes fishes for pomps there....Black guy? He was there this Am with live fleas and did not do well.
... I know Ben. He is a physical trainer. Nice dude.
Do me a favor next time you see him, and tell him Tommy said to go fish where he "is supposed to be" fishing at.
He'll figure it out. :wink:

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Stopped by for a quick look and ran into a few people who view the site they all wanted to know where I got the shirt and hat LOL.

I saw a nice mutton being hand lined up and he lost it on the lift, I cryed for him it was a nice mutton Snapper and another had been caught a little earlier, along with a few spanish Macks.

It was nice talking to all of you out there, if you are on the forum let me know who you are.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

HammerHd wrote:Is it Ben preston the running coach?
Yup - That's the Ben I am speaking of. I see him at DFP alot - Really nice guy !
Lomax wrote:
... I know Ben. He is a physical trainer. Nice dude.
Do me a favor next time you see him, and tell him Tommy said to go fish where he "is supposed to be" fishing at.
He'll figure it out. :wink:
OK - Will do ! - In fact he left DFP bout an hour too early yesterday and missed the mac fest.....
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

crevalejack
Seasoned Fisher

Post by crevalejack »

Who? Ben ? Ah he is a retired fire rescue of DF .After hes retirement , the department where he works as firemen give him a calcutta . ... what a lucky guy

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”