Deerfield Pier Fishing Reports 2007

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

mikeypbg wrote:First good report in a while man.

Congrats on the fish. I got a new 8ft rod for my 3/0 so I can now start learning the art of trolleying out there on DFP. Cant wait for my first king.
1 - Use enough weight! 6 oz pyramid at least. Most of the Goggleyes caught at that pier are at least 7 inches long and are downright huge at other times.
2 - Make sure you buy big beads as it is possible for small ones to aid in the snap swivel opening.
3 - Cast straight and buy a big A$$ Gaff :) :) :)

Good Luck Mike !
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Hey do gog bugs work at night on deerfeild?????

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

i think bikis work better in the lights. my friend wayman (spends the night almost every weekend gets em like that

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

A glow in the dark bug might be worth a try but have always done well at night with a goldie and bobber with a small piece of bait drifted around the lights.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: 6 oz weight

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

rob762 wrote:
1 - Use enough weight! 6 oz pyramid at least.
And if you're using that much weight, use a shock leader..., or alternately, get ready for lead shock. As it hits the back of your head or a spectator.

Broke my own rule today, and snapped off a 3 oz weight on 17lb test. whistled right past the old ears.. :oops:
I broke a 5 oz off with a large calico crab off casting the other day with 30# test. SSSSSSSSSNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAPppppppppppppppp :roll: How embaressing.

DeezNuts
Seasoned Fisher

Post by DeezNuts »

Decent action today. Steady flow of spanishs, with a couple kings. Gogs were present but werent bugging to well, and hoo was there but not sabiking so well. I ended up getting 3 keeper grovers 2 undersize mutton(1 15incher) and a spanish mac. There was also a crapload of rods per usual (the monday regulars). All in all good tho

kellsdad
Fisher

Newbeeee

Post by kellsdad »

Been fishing here less then a year, found pier few weeks back, had been going to Anglins, love the reefs around it........still trying to learn the area. Caught some flounder on a biki, no goggles. Still learning how to put squid on a hook so as not to feed the fish but feed me. I'll be there weds am about 5:30, I'm the one with the kids red wagon.........Peter........like to get to know some of you guys

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

You'll meet lots of people there, if you stick around lunch time you'll meet anthonty( cookinman) with his usual gotcha run. Saturday you can find me and the usual deerfield crew out there which is a good number.

Good luck
facebook.com/landsharkfishing
youtube.com/landsharkfishingtv

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

A Damn Fine AM today !!!

Post by Cookinman »

So This AM, I get up eary because I need to go to WIC and pick up some checks.....Grrr.

Turns out they are operating on time and I am in and out with enough time ( an hour ) to spend at the pier before work, so I head out.

Spanish macs were chewin on the mojarra that was being trolleyed as well as chasing Gotcha's. I landed a couple as well as a couple snakes this AM - Nice....Gogs were hard to come by in the AM, but folks were trying on sabiki.....

AND FOR GODS SAKE FOLKS, STOP TRYING TO TROLLEY DEAD FROZEN BAIT IN THE FACE IF AN EAST WIND!! It only creates long loops and takes up far far too much casting space. Just freeline the damn thing and man your rod...OK, rant over :roll: :P

When all of a sudden a slow sweeping presentation of a Green Gotcha on the bottom starts my reel SINGING Sweet Mary Jane ! I was WAY undergunned for the king on the end of the line and with only a 20# Fleuro leader, figured it would be a short fight, so
I backed off the drag and hoped he would clear out deep....

Low and behold, he took off East and I let him run and run and run.....lol

OK, now he is far out and away from everyones line, I tighten the drag a bit and start to fight him in open water, gaining back line lil by little.

Like all good lil kings do, he tires himself out way off the pier and I just reel him in....WHEN all of a sudden like 4 rods go off at the same time and Nobody has a hand for the gaff :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ARRRGHHH!!!

Oh, well, a wave takes my straignt up and down 25#er or so under the pier, the 20# fleuro hits a tooth and PIIIING, away to fight another day

:( :( :(

On total, I lost a pretty nice king, 4 Gotchas to cutoffs and landed a few decent macs ( All released ), then went to work by 9. ALSO landed in the AM were 2 Bonita and a real Dino Mac - I was messing W/ my king and did not get a measurement, but he was damn big. 7 I am guessing conservatively ( fat fat fat boy! )

GOT to work to find my boss outfitted us all with brand new jammin LARGE flatscreen monitors.... ALL in all a cool day !!

I will be back at lunchtime, as the winds were dead east at 10 or better and the water was greening up nicely. Should be a good day out there.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Re: Newbeeee

Post by Cookinman »

kellsdad wrote:Been fishing here less then a year, found pier few weeks back, had been going to Anglins, love the reefs around it........still trying to learn the area. Caught some flounder on a biki, no goggles. Still learning how to put squid on a hook so as not to feed the fish but feed me. I'll be there weds am about 5:30, I'm the one with the kids red wagon.........Peter........like to get to know some of you guys
I did not see a wagon, but was kinda busy most of the AM. I was the guy cursing a bit dressed like he was goin to church....lol
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Beachbum wrote:That sucks Anthony....at least you got a fight out of him! Either way a king that size on a gotcha with light tackle is hard to beat!!!
Ya, really !! It was great to hear that reel scream like a prom date!

He just scorched my 4000 Sahara...Thought it was gonna melt the drag..haha Thank got for Power Pro, I swear, he more than half spolled it on the first 3 runs.

I had plenty of Mac in the fridge cleaned and iced from yesterday.
I was kinda more bummed because it was my last silver gotcha....lol

I went back at lunch and bugged a couple gogs, freelined one or 2 but could not keep them from getting blown in QUICKLY....

Hey Deez, anything pick upafter I left?
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

DeezNuts
Seasoned Fisher

Post by DeezNuts »

Not really I left at 3 for an apointment. I ended up walking away with a little aj and a fat mac.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

DeezNuts wrote: and a fat mac.
Ya, that one you held up when I was walking up was pretty nice !
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Awesome report Cookin... :toast: I see that Sahara has caught plenty of if fish on your hands, I kind of like that reel.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

cudaman wrote:Awesome report Cookin... :toast: I see that Sahara has caught plenty of if fish on your hands, I kind of like that reel.
Thanks bro, and me too - Simply cannot be beat for about 50 bucks

Y'know, I keep hearing about some folks that do not like em. Really all I ever do is rinse it off ( usually ) and put a lil oil on it from time to time ( like once or twice a year max, which is really not enough for a reel used 3-5 times a week in the salt ) ...

OH ya, the one time my kayak dumped in the surf like 2 yrs ago, I tore it apart, hit it W WD 40 all over to clean it and push the sand out of the cracks and crevices, then slapped some white lithium grease into the "guts" and away we go....Simple.

Has been squeeled alot alot over the last 3 years, as it is my main everyday rig for tossing artificials, w 20# PP - so it had been outmatched with Kings big and small, more Macs that are countable on an almost weekly basis when they are in, Bigger Bonito, overslot snook and plenty of AJ's...(They kinda hurt because they NEVER stop runnin...lol

I am kinda curious as to how / when it will die one day. It will be like loosing an old pal. hope it never happens.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Today at lunch saw Green Water Great breeze Stirred up conditions, ballyhoo and Goggleyes easily caught.

a few kings reported in AM and a few scattered macs, yes the bigger ones.

I nailed a dinner sized mac on a Yellowhead Silver Gotcha at lunch quickly and left. The fishing was slow for as good as it looked.

Trollety and bottom live baits being fished off the corners of the T - Mayhem being the word for the middle....lol

Nice to see you again BeachBum...and nice to finally meet you too Gotcha!

:chef:
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Gotcha
KING MACKEREL

Post by Gotcha »

Paul you mean your not going to VENT? nice to meet you cookinman.
Last edited by Gotcha on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Simple, man it is a F*show.

Sad fact of life at DFP these days....A good place to start would be to enforce the rod limit.

Once it gets colder out, folks will drop off, gauranteed.
Beachbum wrote:Ditto Cookinman, as far as that info we were discussing about the certain technique that I was doing different and wasn't getting touched....that all changed right before dark :lol: I done got smoked!!!
Right on. Thw water looked far to good to be dead all day....
Last edited by Cookinman on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

and Joe Cortez is the Pier Manager - NOT a fisherman, but a good guy and quite reasonable. He would be a place to start.

The reason this does not fire me up as it does others is really because the fishing I do there is usually A during the weekdays and B with an arti, so the "Spioderweb" is kind of a drag, but usually I am not competing for a corner spot, I just slide in and cast between the lines with ease.

To me it is not worth the hassle.....Also I am NOT making excuses for anyone, but the guys you speak of barely speak english and come from a land that has NO FISHING RULES AT ALL, so to see then put back all the undersized fish and adhere to size and bag limits is a good thing. Rod Limits and courtesy would be noice too, but hey Rome was not built in 1 day. I remember a time that ANYTHING on that pier was harvested, no matter what the rules....So progress is being made believe it or not !

However IF I DID fish there in that fashon often, there would be some elbow room made one way or another. I would dtart at the Rod Limit being enforced. That Pier is equiped with Video survaillance. not sure of the extent of it's use however, though I have seen drunkards excused from the pier by one of the many BSO hangin out at the baitshop.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

8) I am going to write a book and sell it only in the city of Deerfield.
"How to trolley multiple rods of chicken rigs rigged with squid"

I will be doing this only in the language of Korapenietnamese!

Chop Chop Grasshopper! :wink:

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

8) Now that the lights are down at Anglins, come this spring, I shall be kiting my fleas.

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

Beachbum wrote:
Zebco wrote:8) I am going to write a book and sell it only in the city of Deerfield.
"How to trolley multiple rods of chicken rigs rigged with squid"

I will be doing this only in the language of Korapenietnamese!

LMAO..ya jacka$$, and I will teach them to trolly out sand fleas lol
definetly will be a best seller

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

pier-afficionado wrote:
I thought Venezuelas friend from Dania was in that pic, guess I know who Gotcha is rolling with now days. Atleast they updated their gear a few years back and actually got some decent stuff. Nice to see him catching his own kings for a change. Perfect example of where putting in time, and watching and learning paid off.
Y'know - I was trying to tell the kids a few months back I get zero poop there because I take ZERO. I am a pretty mellow kind of guy but grew up in a not so nice place.... These guys out there now are like a pack of dogs...They will snarl and yipe but really in reality you did it just as it needs to happen. Genarro is a pretty mellow cat, and can actually fish to the conditions as opposed to just trollying out a pack of bait to do it....but his lil sidekick can get a lil lippy from time to time.

We had a quicl lil "come to Jesus talk one AM". He tried the " my english is bad" crap with me, so I gave it to him in spanish.....They had no idea this gringo "se habla"
We do not really speak much now....Wonder how he lost all them front teeth....hmm :roll:

They aint really bad guys, just bully's and should be handled as such.

Zuki and Genarro have always been cool to me, and gentlmen to all that I have seen...Good Fisherman and old school....even moving their bigger rods away from the rail so I had room to cast my gotcha's once they figured I could cast straight and play a fish ........the other foo's I just bulldog around a bit and make room for myself as I like, suggesting at times they tighten their lines or use more weight from time to time.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Respect is like a mirror, you get back what you project forward in equal amounts. Many folks just do not get that. For that matter Tony and I have always fishe OK next one another also.
Beachbum wrote:...and yes I will still be swimming my baits out, dirty looks and all
I would as well 8) Maybe things will change there. The pier is ruled only by who is there and what is tolerated/accepted as the norm. You guys show up a lil from time to time and you will have room to fish I am sure of it.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

I'd have to say that from all the the regulars who fish the pier Zuki has great patience for them. He always teaches me things lets me use his wire straightener. Never an fishing if your not to him. Then there are other regulars who you just want to smack for being rude, but yesterday me and tony one of the VeneZulans I belevie fished the nw corner together, but I asked first of course and you coudl tell no one else tried to move in, Tony ended up getting aroudn 6-7 macks all on ballyhoo which was the key bait on saturday, More kings and macks were caugth on ballyhoo then on live gogs. I got three spanish one 20 in, on sardines and live ballyhoo that just hit the water.
Soem short muttons were caught and My buddy mike got his fisrt tiger on someones elses, brand new torium star combo lol.
A decent day, but liek everyone has been sayign the muttons which many people fished for all day jsut havent shown also two short Cobia were caught.

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

To add on
Once again some a-hole at deerfield stole two of my friends rods and dfp
an infusion combo and a star rod. My friend mike immediately ran down to the baithouse and asked to see the footage on the camera, but no one knew how to use the software :(
Why hire people who cant do anything.
Now we have to wait until Monday and ask Joe the pier manager how to run the previous footage, whiel soem a-hole is enjoying his stuff.

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

Team rebel wrote:to many problems at deerfield..last few times i have been outthere have almost resulted in my friend being stabbed and twice two t clearing fights/ b/c if they want to be an fishing..ill be a bigger one and well..they dont like that apprently...and i hope that tiger was released
the tiger was released immediatley after photo and swam away
the Deerfield thread is starting to look Dania's

kngfshman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kngfshman »

frentals wrote:Then there are other regulars who you just want to smack for being rude
I hear that. :lol:
GET THE GAFF!!!

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

There is WAY too much thievery goin on there.

Lemme just catch someone..... :twisted:
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

So any fish getting caught?

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”