Pompano Fishing Pier 2010 "ONLY REPORT"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Pompano Fishing Pier 2010 "ONLY REPORT"

Post by Jordan »

splitshot wrote:Fished Sunday afternoon 3-8pm. SE wind, slight North bound current decent water color, lots of seaweed. Saw a few pompano come over the rail, nothing steady. Jigged for them for a bit with a goofy jig, then switched to a gotcha. Managed a decent mac, & got cut off a few times as well. Good amount of sharks around.

Spoke with Lanie a while before I left. She said the city was taking over the pier as of Wed. morning. She also said new hours would be from 7am to 7pm. :thumbdown: Bait wells will not be re installed and they have in fact been thrown out. Trees that were planted there are just temporary. The will be moved to Atlantic blvd. Sad news for those who fish this pier. She recommended emailing the mayor and city commissioner for those who are upset with these recent developments.
Dude that f%$*ing sucks! 7am-7pm? That really really really sucks.

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

JordanConnorSharp wrote:
Dude that f%$*ing sucks! 7am-7pm? That really really really sucks.
Pretty bad - From late spring through early fall, you won't be able to catch sunrise or sunset :(
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

Yeah..

But are they now not gonna charge people to get on?
Are they still gonna sell tackle at the bait house?

We pretty much would get on free.. the older guy who worked there always cut us deals where he'd throw us a thing of chum or let one of us get on for free.. really nice guy and it'd suck for that bait house to not be there..

C-MONEY

Post by C-MONEY »

Looks like im gonna need a ladder to sneak on :cheers:

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by TeEnAnGlerPro213 »

7am-7pm? WOW and i thought LWP was bad.....
JordanConnorSharp wrote: the older guy who worked there always cut us deals where he'd throw us a thing of chum or let one of us get on for free.. really nice guy and it'd suck for that bait house to not be there..
he was so awesome! this is some bad news guys.... :cry:
"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." -Doug Larson

splitshot
Fisher

Post by splitshot »

Bait shop will still be open. Not sure to what capacity.

Here are a few articles

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-0 ... -dockswell

and

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-0 ... ing-garage

City Commish email - dennis.beach@copbfl.com
City Mayor - lamar.fisher@copbfl.com

PoOn113
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PoOn113 »

All they need is some pier security. That guy Will stole my GOLD AVET MXL. If anyone sees him with one please contact 954-235-1173. And I will be right over. :auto:
Anglins googan...

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

splitshot wrote:Bait shop will still be open. Not sure to what capacity.

Here are a few articles

and

Never should have F'd with it in the first place IMHO....
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

Anyone know if the pier's gonna be open tomorrow? My buddy was out today and said they closed off the T while he was there.

TAILTEASIN
Seasoned Fisher

Post by TAILTEASIN »

Cookinman wrote:
splitshot wrote:Bait shop will still be open. Not sure to what capacity.

Here are a few articles

and

Never should have F'd with it in the first place IMHO....

I couldnt agree more!! That pier was alot of fun at one time!!
WHEN THE SEAS GET ROUGH GET ROUGH WITH IT!!!

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

RIP Pompano Pier...

Was out today for the last day I guess. Sporadic schools of sharks with like 20-30 in each group came about randomly but no takers.. other than that, just nothing. Couldn't even get any bait. I managed to get a runner on a sabiki but nothing hit it.

offtrackk
Old Salt

Post by offtrackk »

well there goes my morning fishing............df is too packed and not a big fan of atlantic! guess ima have to go elsewere! we can fish from land because of cops and now there taking the piers! might as well :auto: :reeling: .

we shall re taliate
team BLACKFIN TUNA!!!!!!

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

I have the fondest HS memories of hangin at that pier and the beach next to it in the early-mid 80's....then after that seeing Crazy Fingers do the DEAD sghows regularly there....tiki bar was a great laid back place to spend a Sunday afternoon or cool off after a hot day on the planks after I got back from the USAF - It is a slice of old florida, that we dont see nearly enough of anymore...sad - I have lots of history there.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

TAILTEASIN
Seasoned Fisher

Post by TAILTEASIN »

Crazy fingers! :drunk: Good times! Now its a dead area! Sucks!!!!

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

PoOn113 wrote:All they need is some pier security. That guy Will stole my GOLD AVET MXL. If anyone sees him with one please contact 954-235-1173. And I will be right over. :auto:

always check your rods ,or leve someone checking :wink: sorry for your lost hope you find it.

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

C.J. wrote:There are pompano at pompano.
Besides fishing anglins and deerfield a few times, pompano's the only pier we fish and to this date we've never seen a pomp caught there.

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

No, I agree with you about that. I've just never seen one caught there. I like pompano more than any of the piers.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

C.J. wrote:Most people who fish don't know what they are doing. I have fished pompano for many years (20 years) and caught everything from cobia to pompano at that pier. Problem is people fish it once or twice and say this pier sucks. You have to put your time in, does'nt matter which pier you fish.

Spot on CJ. ....and thanks for the heads up -

I cant think of any other pier where you can consistantly catch grouper, like pompano pier....many are short, but they are usually there in some areas...othe areas are GREAT for Macs an Kingfish. One of the better Snapper piers IMHO. There are rocks where you dont expect em to be unless you know they are there and nice wide sand patches to cast out to if your accurate and long....all which makes for a nice fishery....I used to see the old timers pompano fish with success there when I was a kid. Im not a big pompno guy, only fished for em a handful of times....Dont even get me started on how the snook fishery there was/ may still be...I know walking the shoreline pierside at daybreak will get you a few linesiders whenever they are about...

I saw S/SE 10-15 W seas 2-3 predicted on the news while at the gym early this AM - almost left right there....lol.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

TAILTEASIN
Seasoned Fisher

Post by TAILTEASIN »

C.J. wrote:Most people who fish don't know what they are doing. I have fished pompano for many years (20 years) and caught everything from cobia to pompano at that pier. Problem is people fish it once or twice and say this pier sucks. You have to put your time in, does'nt matter which pier you fish.
I have seen the pomps thick on that pier!! I have even stood shoulder to shoulder cathing pomps with cj and the old timers back in tne day and as far as snook go besides juno I think it is one of the best in south florida. If you know what you are doing :lol:

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snakehead terror »

TAILTEASIN wrote:
I have seen the pomps thick on that pier!! I have even stood shoulder to shoulder cathing pomps with cj and the old timers back in tne day and as far as snook go besides juno I think it is one of the best in south florida. If you know what you are doing :lol:
agreed for sure on the snook part. Its a diffrent kind of snook fishing than most piers though. also the poons are the thickest i've seen of any pier there in the summer. I really hope its open this summer.
BEAST
snapperkiller

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

snakehead terror wrote:
TAILTEASIN wrote:
agreed for sure on the snook part. Its a diffrent kind of snook fishing than most piers though. also the poons are the thickest i've seen of any pier there in the summer. I really hope its open this summer.
I was so physced about fishing pompano over the summer too, I hope it's open.

TAILTEASIN
Seasoned Fisher

Post by TAILTEASIN »

C.J. wrote:Some of the biggest muttons have been pulled off pompano. It's crazy how underrated this pier is. Joe you know what im talking about.
Oh you know I do! Lots of sleepless days and nights on that pier! My biggest mutton was about 12 or 13 pounds from there but the monster grovers were more fun for me!

released
Weekend Warrior

Post by released »

[quote="C.J."]Yeah thoese were fun times.[/quote
X2. We would take the bus when I was 16. Had to hide the our poles and shrimp nets in the bushes or the bus would just pass us. I still remember the looks we got. Would spend Sat night and get picked up in the morning by one of our parents. 4:00AM was a majicial time in the summer. Would get some serious Muttons off the SE corner. Great memories.

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

released wrote: Had to hide the our poles and shrimp nets in the bushes or the bus would just pass us.
LOL!! That's good stuff...too funny!
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

released wrote:
C.J. wrote:Yeah thoese were fun times.[/quote
X2. We would take the bus when I was 16. Had to hide the our poles and shrimp nets in the bushes or the bus would just pass us. I still remember the looks we got. Would spend Sat night and get picked up in the morning by one of our parents. 4:00AM was a majicial time in the summer. Would get some serious Muttons off the SE corner. Great memories.

x3 - We called it the "Bannana Bus" ...pretty sure is was the #4 - Would pick us up at Burger King on the corner of Pine Island And Sample back in HS...Dropped us off at the bank outside the parking lot...
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

PoOn113
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PoOn113 »

Hey, went today and seen some pompano caught and got some shrimp last night :auto: But found out last night Will didnt steal my Avet. My bad, shouldnt say anything till you actually found out.
Anglins googan...

snookabogus

Post by snookabogus »

PoOn113 wrote:Hey, went today and seen some pompano caught and got some shrimp last night :auto: But found out last night Will didnt steal my Avet. My bad, shouldnt say anything till you actually found out.
I want a pompano so bad! never caught one haha. and thats good he didnt steal it, i think.

PoOn113
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PoOn113 »

He has them sometimes and an afro or braids. But really he doesnt mess with anyone. He didnt take it.
Anglins googan...

snookmaster69
Fisher

Post by snookmaster69 »

No pompano at the pier today.Some mack's and runners.

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Fished Pompano from about 9:30 to noon. I thought the pier was closed but I got a text from Kodi and she said it was open, so off I went kinda late. Got up there and the pier is just open to anybody. Nobody's working the shack and you can't buy any bait or snacks and stuff. Parking in the lot across the street is a buck an hour on a metered system. So, you can fish for free, anytime you want, I guess. Wind was really strong our of the SSE and waves were good enough for a bunch of surfers to work the north side. I scraped the sand to catch some fleas for bait and after an hour, only had two. Embarrassing, but that's also because the season is winding down. Saw one undersized pomp come over the rail, no blues, but someone said a kid on the tee got a couple macs on a white bucktail. It probably got better right after I left. Seems like it always does. Went home to watch the weather and see what tomorrow will hold. Tight lines, you guys! Out!
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”