Jetty Park "Fishing Reports" 2009-10-11

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
Tuftsfisherman
Weekend Warrior

Re: Jetty Park "Fishing Reports" 2009-10-11

Post by Tuftsfisherman »

Holy crap, there's actually a lot of meat on those things, looks pretty decent too. That guy's electric knife seems to be as dull as a spoon with the effort he was putting into the cuts. I'm sure if you sharpen your fillet knife it will be just as good if not better than his. Maybe I'll hook into one tomorrow! I'll also be soaking a big piece of bonita to see if there are sharks around. Has anyone caught any redfish/snook lately?

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

What a night! :happyfisherman: I fished last night from about 10pm - 9am (little before low tide to a little after high tide). After I got there, I was about to walk out to the pier, but heard some mullet splashing around by the rocks near the parking lot, so I thought I'd climb down there and try to net some. They were all just out of range, but on my second or third cast, I pulled the net in, thinking I had nothing, opened it up, and out plopped an atlantic spadefish. He flopped back into the water, so I put the net away and got my rod. Threw out some shrimp and quickly ended up with a keeper flounder and a little ray. After the action died down, I took the ray down to the end of the pier to try for a shark again. All night, nothing touched it, but I got bombarded with baby sharks on my light gear. Mostly hammerheads, but also a bonnethead and I think another atlantic sharpnose. They were hitting shrimp and cut mullet. I also got a big butterfly ray on cut mullet, but hooked him with my light gear, so I couldn't get him up to the pier. Also got a nice atlantic croaker on shrimp at some point in the night too. As the sun came up the bait fish came in, so I tossed out a spoon jig and landed a jack, which became the next shark bait (don't get your hopes up....nothing hit this either). Now that there was light out, I could see a big sheepshead below (bout 14" or 15"). He was gone by the time I got my line to his spot, but I hooked an undersized one by plopping a shrimp right under the pier. Tried again, and got a keeper snapper exactly on the mark. Wanted to keep going, but I ran outta shrimp. Tried a small finger mullet, but no luck, so I tossed him into the middle of the channel, and got a little whiting. Had to head back home after that. Gotta catch a nap before work tonight.

The little ray....what kind is this?

One of the many hammerheads. I lost count of how many I caught.

Atlantic sharpnose??

Keeper flounder

Keeper mangrove snapper

So that's an atlantic spadefish, a flounder, a bonnethead, an atlantic sharpnose, countless hammerheads, an atlantic croaker, a butterfly ray, another small ray, a sheepshead, a mangrove snapper, and a whiting....and NO catfish :cheers:

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Thanks for the report!! that flounder made it a success!!

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Yeah, man! I think it was a very fun trip. No monsters, but it was fun seeing over a dozen different species in one night. And I'd be lying if I said that not seeing anyone else catch ANYTHING all night didn't make things secretly more enjoyable for me :lol: Can't wait to go back...

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Sunday night - got there on the last of the outgoing tide and fished the whole incoming. Conditions are great out there. Was a little choppy at first, but calmed down. Water was clean, but fishing was pretty slow. Most of the action was around the tide change when I first got there. Some whiting and a butterfly ray on live shrimp and a pinfish towards the end of the pier on the outgoing. Moved down all the way to the end as the tide changed. Fileted the ray's wings for myself and threw the scraps out for shark bait. Got a good run pretty qickly, but set the hook too early and lost it. Tried a whiting for bait after, but didn't get any more hits on that rod all night. Dropped some cut pinfish and live shrimp under the pier. Got a snapper on the cut pinfish, and a shrimp got picked up by a conch! I dropped a whole live pinfish under the pier too, and after a long time of waiting, something heavy grabbed it and took off running. I kept tightening the drag, but could barely slow it down. He was running under the pier too, so it was hard fighting him. Eventually he came off. Looked like he bit through the line. What do ya think that coulda been? It felt heavy, but was way too fast to be a ray. Hopefully I'll get it next time. Those big ones always get away from me somehow :roll:

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

probably a snook. they can cut them leaders clean with their gills or the sharp barnacles on the pilings.

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

yeah, i was worried the most about the line snapping on a barnacle, but the leader was cut right above where the hook was, so that's what makes me think it was bitten through. ...snook? grouper? well, i'd be happy with either one. both would be a first for me. thanks for the support, jp. i always get at least one or two nice, hard runs at jetty park in the midst of all the smaller catches. just gotta work on getting those big ones all the way in :reeling:

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Hit jetty park yesterday. the tides were ultimate, and 1 hour after sunset was when high tide peaked... coupled with the full moon and it was a lot of fun ,got a lot of snapper, and kept the three largest for dinner. one of the snapper was a pig at 4 pounds!! (my biggest, probably small for most others lol)... the mullet run has begun up here and there were a lot of scattered schools in the surf and around the jetty, hopefully i will manage to get a snook this season... they have still managed to elude me... ill probably be going there for the next couple of months, mostly on Saturday so if anyone wants to meet up let me know and i would love to learn some tricks from the pros!

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

im not sure people catch most of the snook on the inlet side or from the jetty casting on the ocean side(well if they dont get caught that is :) ).

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

fixed80 wrote:im not sure people catch most of the snook on the inlet side or from the jetty casting on the ocean side(well if they dont get caught that is :) ).
Inlet side or beach side? 0.o :-p

I never really caught anything at Jetty Park... One hard place to catch stuff. Caught black drum, sharks, rays, random small fish, and a flounder there for all the time I went fishing there...

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

lol, i think i am slowly getting better... when i used to go there at first i would get skunked... then i figured out tactics for getting sheephead over there, then i got better at catching snapper, i learned how to use a gotcha and started to catch jacks, blues and Spanish macks . now i am working on perfecting my flounder fishing and trying to figure out how to get a snook!! Good luck and with time you will figure it out!

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

That's how I like to do it. You never know what the hot bait will be that night, so I bring a little of everything. I think pinfish and mullet work the best for me though. Shrimp can get ya sheephead or snapper under the pier or a whiting from the middle of the channel easily, but probably 9 out of every 10 shrimp are going to get pick off by something small.
My personal opinion is that the park is a very easy place to fish. Throw out a live bait with a very natural presentation, and you will get something. It's not necessarily overflowing with the more popular species like snook or redfish (though they are there), but there's always plenty of sheephead and flounder there to take home for dinner. Me personally... I just like to fish for that awesome feeling when something big's at the end of the line. It may involve a long waiting game, but I almost always get at least a few hard runs there. Still have yet to get them all the way to the pier though :nilly: Hopefully will be out there tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Thats right. Those strike out days sure hurt, especially when ya dont live near the coast. But striking out only makes me wana try harder next time.

Sorry for your loss, JP.

pinoyboykev
Weekend Warrior

Post by pinoyboykev »

Hey guys, I just moved to the east orlando area. I used to live in Tampa and fished the skyway pier and other piers in the area religiously. I recently discovered jetty park and its fishing pier and was wondering what are the general tactics over there? It seems that live shrimp and cut squid are popular for snapper. If I freeline a pinfish, should I keep near the pier or could I cast one out far away from the jetty and hope for something nice? Does the inlet drop off and if so how far from the jetty? Also, is there any good snook or tarpon action around the area? I was there on labor day weekend and saw 3 small schools of mullet, but nothing chasing them. They just swam by and minded there own business. ALso, I caught a lot of spottail pinfish and some small seabass looking things off the rocks on the jetty. THey were maybe only an inch or 2 long haha. Besides that when does the fishing usually heat up over tehre?

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

I have only fish there once and I did have some luck but not any of the keeper snook and flounder JP gets all the time. There was some construction going on by the boat ramps when I was there so it was all fenced off. As always put in the time and you will have favorite spots soon.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Sorry to hear about your loss jetty...

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Sorry about your Mom Jettypark, fishing has a good way of clearing the head.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

pinoyboykev wrote:Hey guys, I just moved to the east orlando area. I used to live in Tampa and fished the skyway pier and other piers in the area religiously. I recently discovered jetty park and its fishing pier and was wondering what are the general tactics over there? It seems that live shrimp and cut squid are popular for snapper. If I freeline a pinfish, should I keep near the pier or could I cast one out far away from the jetty and hope for something nice? Does the inlet drop off and if so how far from the jetty? Also, is there any good snook or tarpon action around the area? I was there on labor day weekend and saw 3 small schools of mullet, but nothing chasing them. They just swam by and minded there own business. ALso, I caught a lot of spottail pinfish and some small seabass looking things off the rocks on the jetty. THey were maybe only an inch or 2 long haha. Besides that when does the fishing usually heat up over tehre?
well i dont fish that park religiously but when i did i wasn't doing good. i have caught some stuff but not alot cuz i dont fish there actively. if you want snapper fish close to the rocks from the pier or from the walkway itself. no you cant legally fish from the jetty unfortunately just to clear that up. but for the snappers just use live mojarra they are the best if you can find them by castnetting along grassy to sand flats in the river/ICW. for snook you go to the pier inside the inlet and cast slightly to the rocks either with weight or freeline its your choice. tarpon i dont here to often caught or hooked up there. you can use live finger mullet for bait on a sliding sinker rig for blues and jacks by casting away from the pier like towards the shipping channel(you'll never reach it though). but besides that info the channel is like around 50 feet. casting distance you'll probably be in water near 15 to 30 feet depending on how far you can cast.

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

:nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :nilly: they got away again!!! at the beginning of the incoming tide, i had what looked like a slot red on the line from a live finger mullet under the pier. but he came off just as i was bout ready to lower the net :pale: then on the outgoing tide, i had a live black mullet under the pier....something hit it hard, but i missed the hook up. threw it back, and a few minutes later it went screaming out again. hooked it this time, but the leader broke off. didn't see what it was. other than that, more mangrove snappers than i can count. shrimp, clams, finger mullet, high tide, low tide.....doesn't matter. the snappers are there right under the pier, and they're not picky. some baby sharks still hanging around out in the middle of the channel, and hooked a small ladyfish out there too. saw a few more swimming around the pier also. black mullet and finger mullet are in pretty good numbers there, so bring a cast net.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

OPIATO- thanks for the report. if you are ever heading out in the weekend let me know, i would love to meet up, i will be out there Saturday and Sunday this weekend...

Jettypark28_ thank you for all the tips man, without your help i probably would have given up on jetty park long ago! now i know how to catch bait over there and some fish... lol, if you ever are heading out on the weekends let me know.

I will try to post a report when i get back tomorrow!!

jmwands
Fisher

Post by jmwands »

Heya JP, I know I'm not a "friend" of yours, but I wanted to say sorry about your loss. I'm just a fellow fisherman from landlocked Colorado but you helped me to have awesome success fishing down there. You shared your wealth of info without any reservations and helped me and a couple of excited teens to have successful and enjoyable times. Sure, we dont catch alot of fish every time, but where else can you see manatees, sea turtles , gun boats, submarines, and disney cruise ships while "fishing"? Just wanted to say thanks and sorry,,,

jm

johnmet
Fisher

Post by johnmet »

Hello all,
I am headed down there next weekend and I am wondering if there is any action this time of year, it has been a while since the last post. Any tips are appreciated, never fished this area before.

Are there any surf casting opportunities in the area?
Thanks,
John

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”