Jetty Park "Fishing Reports" 2009-10-11

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
fishboy
Old Salt

Re: Jetty Park "Fishing Reports" 2009-10-11

Post by fishboy »

Haven't been to JP in a while, but if you are interested in surf fishing playalinda is on fire! 2 weekends ago I had nonstop whiting action, and this weekend in two hours I got three black drum, a flounder and a big whiting... Also had two hits that I think we're pomps...

johnmet
Fisher

Post by johnmet »

Thanks fo rthe tip, is "playa linda" North of Daytona Beach?

johnmet
Fisher

Post by johnmet »

Based on the tide data I could find it looks like I will be there for a falling tide, so maybe I will stick to the pier.
Can I expect to find shrimp at any of the bait shops and how does one transport and care for live shrimp?

Thanks again,
John

jezratty
Old Salt

Post by jezratty »

i learned a pretty nifty trick with the bubble box.. leave it in the plastic package and just punch a hole to connect the male and female parts... it will prevent water getting to it.. had the same one now for almost 3 yrs!!

johnmet
Fisher

Post by johnmet »

Thanks again, I should be able to keep the shrimp happy and I will put my aerator in a zip lock to keep it dry.

Maybe my last question: I don't have a net, will I be able to land a larger fish by hand or is the pier too high off the water? Will someone with a net offer to help?

Great forum.
John

johnmet
Fisher

Post by johnmet »

Thanks again for all the help. I was well prepared for my first attempt at fishing Jetty Park. It was cold and rainy, the fish weren't biting, I was informed by the lifeguard that there is no fishing from the beach (but he let me stay), and worst of all I didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted to.
It was still a lot of fun and I was able to figure out the rigging and casting of a new setup.

After some time on the beach I moved to the pier and managed to catch a pinfish(?) with a piece of shrimp on a #6 hook. I re-rigged with a bigger hook and tossed it out on the bottom. He got real nervous after a while and I felt some thrashing, but not enough to make me set the hook. I reeled him back in and found he was about 1/3 shorter, tail and some meat sawed off. Small shark, barracuda? Oh well at least some excitement.

I will be back someday, more experienced and with hopefully a lot more time. Until then, tight lines,
John

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”