Pompano Pier Fishing Reports 2009 "ONLY REPORTS"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Pompano Pier Fishing Reports 2009 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Thanks for your fishing reports for this 2009 year
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

gotants?
Old Salt

Re: Pompano Pier Fishing Reports 2009 "ONLY REPORTS"

Post by gotants? »

Any reports? Might be heading up this afternoon..
Fishing is ZEN

Catching is incidental

The sea, my church

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

Fished today 1/6 from 2-5ish.....nothing. I caught one small wrasse while trying to catch bait, I saw one cowfish caught, and about 10 minutes before I left I saw a huge blue runner get caught and swam back out with no takers. Water was a clear green, saw a couple schools of ballyhoo hangin' out about 100 feet off the pier but nothing crashing them, and no bait around the pier itself. Rough day, but nice weather atleast.
Hold Fast

mikes
Fisher

Post by mikes »

Was there monday night midnight to 3am. A few jacks rolling around the pier earlier from what i heard and pretty much nothing else. A couple of hits on a xrap lure but no hookups and nothing bottom fishing with live shrimp. Lucky shrimp. Only about 5 people out there everyone pretty friendly. But I'm pretty new at fishing the piers so what do i know :reeling:

Lazy Pelican
Fisher

Post by Lazy Pelican »

Fished Sunday from 7:00 till 12:00 and cought 1 mack. There was no current to speak of but plenty of sand perch for bait.

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

Are those livewells still running on the pier? Haven't been to Pompano in a long time. Curious about the livewells because if they're there I wouldn't have to truck around my big one.

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

I decided to go to the pier. Shouldn't have went. There's no livewells, for anyone wondering.

There was a chumbag out with a billion ballyhoo underneath. I caught a few. I tied on a Gotcha on my brand new Spheros 4000 I got a few weeks ago as my personal Christmas present from my money and money I got, since my family couldn't afford me a Christmas present this year. I worked the Gotcha, no hits. I put it down to go catch more bait.

About five minutes later some guy says, "Hey, man, your rod is flyin'." I turn around and couldn't believe it. This freaking pelican apparently ate the Gotcha that was in one of my rod guides and is now flying off with it. My $100 rod, my $70 reel, my $30 worth of line, fluorocarbon, wire and Gotcha. This damn bird lands about 50 yards off the north side in the water and the rod falls in. My rod is gone. Freaking bird can't land by the beach where I can dive in and get it. Can't land next to the pier. Can't eat normal fish like a normal bird, has to eat shiny lures on a rod. I don't even know where the rod exactly is. So of course these guys are laughing as I'm tying up a 4 triple hook snatch set to try to get it back. I dragged the rig on sand for about an hour trying to get my rod back with no luck.

Figured I might as well try to catch a fish. We get a ballyhoo out there, about twenty minutes later it goes off. We get a nice Mac right to the pier, right next to the piling and the treble falls out.

Then a bird craps on me.

I'm done with fishing for a long time now.

If anyone finds a Spheros 4000 with 40# yellow PowerPro on a 7 ft red/black falcon seahawk inshore rod with cork, please tell me. The bird landed about 50 yards off the middle of the north side of the pier. It might show up on shore, I don't know. If anyone finds it, please tell me. That was all the money I had.

Clarke

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Bummer man. I'll be on the lookout.

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snakehead terror »

dude that really sucks
BEAST
snapperkiller

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

I still can't believe my rod/reel is gone. The whole concept of the idea of a pelican flying off with a 7' rod attached sounds humorous. I want to laugh. I really do.

:nopity:

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

That is too funny. :biglaugh:
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Sorry to hear it Clarke - I saw ALMOST the same thing happen at DFP on Friday.....
The rod was a beater, he ate the squid hangin, but someone grabbed the rod.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

That's understandable, a piece of squid. But a Gotcha sitting in a rod guide? Do I need to start attaching a float on a snap swivel to my next spinning rod when I'm not using it?

REEL CAST
Seasoned Fisher

Post by REEL CAST »

Same thing at dfp two birds got hookup best action all morning.Sorry about your gear.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

I had several experiences with birds also. You ain't the only one. I was fishing at Sebastian inlet one day and the bait thick everywhere. Redfish started to move in and the Tarpon too. Throwing only a 3oz spoon and letting it drift out the inlet 100yd's, I soon started to retrieving it. As I got the spoon close to the jetty, out of nowhere, a bird(the kind that swims) nailed the lure from underneath the water. Man! how can that just happen. It's unreal how im reeling a lure and a bird under the water hits it.

Another thing that happened to me was when i was fishing in a canal and i catch a pinfish. Losing track of time, I reeled the fish up to the pavement, left the rod with the fish still on the hook to go to the car to check the time. Since the car wasn't far at all, I dint think it wouldn't be long enough for a pelican to get the fish. And sure enough, i was wrong. A pelican did.fly over to get the fish. So I rushed from the car to the rod and dove for it. But it was to late. the pelican had flew off and landed across the canal in a park. Then i thought to myself, I'll go to the other side and try to grab the rod for a second time. So i drove 2 or 3 miles to the park to find my rod and reel. when i get there, i walk down the embankment and guess what, the pelican was still there struggling to free the hook in it's mouth. I ran as fast as possible before the bird would fly off again and i grabed my fishing pole. What luck was that. All i did was brake the line and the pelican flew away. Good, i got everything back.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

i was at pompano's pier saturday i saw you i was the one who ask you what were you trying to get i tell you a story it wasn't with a bird .i was trolling offshore and this big wave lift the boat i had to let go the rod i had in my hands to keep myself in the boat it was a custom made rod with a 6/0 red hope it make you feel better sorry for your loss kid that last bird story very funny

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Rebel you are the friggin man.

Clark you know I had never even though about that happening. Always worried about my rods walking away not flying away. I feel for ya brotha.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

rebel33i wrote:Damn dude i am sorry to hear about you're rodnreel/financial problems.So this is what i'm going to do, i run a pawnshop and the next rod reel i get comprable to what ya had i'll hook ya up like fer free.I get them in from time to time i dont have any now but next one i get i'll pm ya and u can come get it.
That's awesome of you :toast:

IM CHUMMING
- Who Run It -

Post by IM CHUMMING »

:stupid: :toast:

Jluna
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jluna »

wow thats great man
pain is weakness leaving the body

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

Rebel it's guys like you and the two who haven't posted lately that make this place something special. :salut:
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

clarkemp3
Seasoned Fisher

Post by clarkemp3 »

permitchaser wrote:i was at pompano's pier saturday i saw you i was the one who ask you what were you trying to get i tell you a story it wasn't with a bird .i was trolling offshore and this big wave lift the boat i had to let go the rod i had in my hands to keep myself in the boat it was a custom made rod with a 6/0 red hope it make you feel better sorry for your loss kid that last bird story very funny
Yeah, I remember you. You probably thought I was crazy when you see this kid dragging a rig with four trebles on it, like he's trying to snag some fish. :lol: We looked at that topic you told Ben and I to read, it was pretty funny.
rebel33i wrote:
james380 wrote:Rebel you are the friggin man.

Clark you know I had never even though about that happening. Always worried about my rods walking away not flying away. I feel for ya brotha.
Thanks James the story just really got to me i'd hate to hear he stopped fishing for lack of having dough or gear.Hey Clark i dont have any 4000 series reels i just checked i'm on the case i wanna help.If you want i have the new black penn 3000 on a penn pursuit rod but its a series lower don't know if ya want it but its yours if you do.My buddy Tank just used it at Flamingo he had fun with the lil snookies on it and he said he loved the way it cast.
Are you serious? Man, I would love if you could help. I'd really like a 4000 series reel, preferably a Spheros because I really liked it (lightweight, good drag, smooth) but beggars can't be choosers. Stradic, Penn, Quantum, Daiwa, it doesn't really matter to me, as long as it's a good reel. The combo I had was good for everything from snook to macks to dolphin offshore, basically casting artificials and jigs.

I could never accept a combo for free. I'll give you a nice Penn 4/0 and a few nice rods to sell in your store if you can help.

Thanks a bunch more man. Seriously. :toast:

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Anybody know if there's been any shrimp running at Pompano Pier?

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Ok, went last night since nobody else has. :roll: Yes shrimp were running.

Tried throwing some shrimp to entice some snookies under the moonlight. Nada. I'll never know if I was just chucking shrimp at barren water though, since it's so damn dark there now without the old lights. I wonder if this poor lighting means the end of night-time snooking at Pompano?

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”