New to fly fishing looking for help.

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
kahukuchuck
Weekend Warrior

New to fly fishing looking for help.

Post by kahukuchuck »

Hi all, My boss gave me a fly rod from when he was a kid so he doesn't remember to much about it. the reel is a 7-9 weight,he doesnt remember what line he put on it because it has been years. I think the guy at Bass Pro Said it looked like 8 weight. but the rod that he gave me with it it a Pfluger medalist that is a 5weight rod. My question is if the reel has line that is 8 weight,is this going to put more flex on the rod and kill casting,and make it more difficult. I did a class at bass pro and they gave me a matched 8 weight set up,and I noticed there was less flex in the rod while casting when the set was matched.

bsfl
Fisher

Re: New to fly fishing looking for help.

Post by bsfl »

You can have less line out the tip when casting and create the proper flex, but with an 8 wt on a 5 wt it could be as little as 10-15 ft, so yes an 8 wt line will overweight a 5 wt rod too much to cast effectively. Most lines are tapered, with the front head being heavier than the running line. You could cut off some of the forward taper if you do not want to buy a new line, but it will never cast as well as a matched line and rod.

kahukuchuck
Weekend Warrior

Post by kahukuchuck »

BSFL Thanks for that info. I was going to buy a salt water set up in the next month or so, but I think today I am gonna go look for a rod, so I can practice untill I put away the money for the salt reel,backing,and line.

bsfl
Fisher

Post by bsfl »

Those classes at Bass Pro are great. Gary is a certified FFF casting instructor and a nice guy, can't be beat for free. For a fly rod a TFO Professional series will keep you happy until you know what you want.

kahukuchuck
Weekend Warrior

Post by kahukuchuck »

bsfl wrote:Those classes at Bass Pro are great. Gary is a certified FFF casting instructor and a nice guy, can't be beat for free. For a fly rod a TFO Professional series will keep you happy until you know what you want.
That's exactly what I got. All those guys were recommending it for the price. I already noticed an improvement in the cast. Thanks again.

kahukuchuck
Weekend Warrior

Post by kahukuchuck »

I'm gonna try and go this tuesday. I,ve been out all week with the flu.

hern1982
Fisher

Post by hern1982 »

Nice post, I've always been interested in fly fishing since I was a kid. Now that I'm an old man I really want to learn (especially since Comcast added the WFN channel). What can I expect to pay for a decent setup? I don't need anything too fancy, just something to begin with. Also, I live in SW Florida (Cape Coral), so where are some good spots around here (general area)?

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Hern,

for 99 bucks you have a redington 8 wt rod n reel combo which I bought and love it! Comes with a carrying case and all, and it is a 4 piece rod which means you can store it anywhere and take it on trips as well! It will handle bass and I have caught small to medium sized salt water fish on it. Give them a look! If you want something fancier, look at Orvis

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_dire ... V-_-117553

I was told these are solid setups for the price by a guide I know, and they have them all the way to 12wt for the bigger pelagic fish! Good luck!

-swordfish

hern1982
Fisher

Post by hern1982 »

Thanks! I will definitely check them out. There's someone in the area selling an Orvis setup for $50, I may have to give him a ring

SVH
Fisher

Post by SVH »

Everyone develops their own casting style once they get the hang of a cast. Some prefer faster/slower rods. Don't buy a flyrod based on a "deal" unless you know what you're getting into. Buy one you like the feel of.

Return to “FlyFishing Help”