Flyfishing, Melbourne beach & sebastien Inlet

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
tom123
Weekend Warrior

Flyfishing, Melbourne beach & sebastien Inlet

Post by tom123 »

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and have just moved to Melbourne beach, and need some advice on fly fishing around and about.

Whats the fly fishing like at Sebastien inlet. Not off the jetty but fishing from the rocks and further in towards the Indian river lagoon. Is it best to fish with floating or sinking lines? what species of fish are likely to be caught? And what sort of fly patterns are best to use to target the species you are likely to encounter around that area.

In addition to this, when the conditions are permitting. What is fly fishing from the beaches like in the area? Again what sort of flies are best to use and species likely to be caught?

Thanks

jayhawk
Fisher

Re: Flyfishing, Melbourne beach & sebastien Inlet

Post by jayhawk »

http://www.floridaflyfishing.org/rag/index.html

I've lived here for about 10 years and have surf fished Melbourne Beach quite a bit. There is a bait store there, Black Dog 321-725-1200, 207 Ocean Ave, Melbourne Beach. I'm only just starting to fly fish the beach so can't give much worthwhile advice. The surf hs been a total swash of white stuff up to last week, but I was out there anyway and caught a 18" flounder about 30 feet off the beach freelineing a shrimp. Black Dog should be able to tell you something. The link I tried to attach above is for a fly fishing club that meets in Cocoa. I joined it a couple months ago and it is a nice bunch of people. Most of them have been fly fishing here for many years and are great at sharing places. The next meeting is the hot spots program where people show powerpoints on their favorite places. It might be worthwile for you to join just to get the lay of the land here for fly fishing. I'm going to Canaveral Seashore tomorrow and walk the beach with my rod. I'll be chunking Clousers and BIG poppers. We'll see what happens. Let me know how you do; maybe we can get together some time.http://www.floridaflyfishing.org/rag/index.html

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Flyfishing, Melbourne beach & sebastien Inlet

Post by fixed80 »

IMO fly fishing isnt that great around here. its hard especially when you got currents and most fish prefer lures and not the fly itself. but if you can reach a school of busting fish anywhere from the lagoon/beach/inlets south side then yes the fly could work. but again its my opinion that it aint all that around here. unless you actually see a school of fish pushing through like jacks, ladyfish, or reds in the river/beach. but trout you can certainly target without them busting bait.

Return to “FlyFishing Help”