FFF certified in Brevard?

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
Local66
KING MACKEREL

FFF certified in Brevard?

Post by Local66 »

I was wondering if there are any FFF certified casting coaches in Brevard/Melbourne. Debilitating pain in my right shoulder is leading me towards the conclusion that there may be a fundamental flaw in my casting stroke. I've been practicing left handed casting all week, and I get the same shooting pain through my right shoulder when I double haul.

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: FFF certified in Brevard?

Post by Frogfish101 »

Why don't you tape yourself and post it here? If I were down there, I'd certainly like to help in person.

I'm not FFF certified, but I'm pretty darn good at flycasting.
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

Local66
KING MACKEREL

Post by Local66 »

Frogfish, I could probably do that. I fish 3-5 days a week, and under most conditions I have better range and accuracy than most anglers using spinning gear. I have the physics down, that's why I'd like to find an FFF certified coach. If there's a problem, I'm not seeing it. I'm too young to be falling apart.

Jetty - I've been throwing spinners all week, that hurts too. Flounder season should give me a few months off from throwing 3 oz plugs and 5/0 decievers. Time to scale down the gear a bit.

islandflyfisher
KING MACKEREL

Post by islandflyfisher »

I should tape myself too. I have carpel tunnel in both wrists, and periodic shoulder and elbow pain.

Jettypark, my doctor told me something similar; "Stop fishing or eventually you will have to have surgery." Needless to say, I guess I will eventually be having surgery.

Local, try to find stuff called biofreeze. It is like icyhot without the hot. If you have any questions about it, PM me.

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Or, you should try changing your gear a bit? When I flyfish for stripers, I do a lot of blindcasting. With the wrong rod, this can be really fatiguing.

Throw a heavier rod or one not suited to your casting style can really give you shoulder problems.
-Juro Mukai

Local66
KING MACKEREL

Post by Local66 »

Frogfish101 wrote:Or, you should try changing your gear a bit? When I flyfish for stripers, I do a lot of blindcasting. With the wrong rod, this can be really fatiguing.

Throw a heavier rod or one not suited to your casting style can really give you shoulder problems.

HAHAHA! You really don't want to see my inlet snook rig. I blind cast for 4-6 hours with a 1pc shikari 11wt and a Ross canyon 6, underlined with a TS-350 shooting head. Most of my inlet patterns are 3/0-5/0 high ties/decievers. It's a heavy rig, but I don't do alot of false casting with the integrated heads, so it doesn't beat me up the way you would think.

-I have a friend coming up from Miami to fish and check out my cast, if I have to go see a Dr. I will.

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Lol! Just one question, why are you underlining? You like the TS-350 too much?

Overlining your rod could help out your casting. Less line to load the rod, and thus less stress on you!
-Juro Mukai

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

If you call The FlyFisherman in Titisville Im pretty sure they have people they can recommend. I was fortune to study fly casting with Chico Fernandez. Too bad I stop fly fishing 10 years ago. :(
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Local66
KING MACKEREL

Post by Local66 »

Frogfish101 wrote:Lol! Just one question, why are you underlining? You like the TS-350 too much?

Overlining your rod could help out your casting. Less line to load the rod, and thus less stress on you!

The 11wt isn't really that heavy. It's the weight of the line that wears you out. Using the 350 grain I get a much slower drift, and I don't have to worry about giving myself a concussion if a hard west breeze catches my backcast. I tried the 450 and it was too much work. You have to strip with both hands to keep it off the rocks, I lost quite a few flies figuring that one out. The TS-350 is pretty much a chuck and duck type of line, just throw it back then let her rip.

Return to “FlyFishing Help”