Best flies and fly set up

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
James7412
Fisher

Best flies and fly set up

Post by James7412 »

What's the best flies for catching snook

mcond
Fisher

Re: Best flies and fly set up

Post by mcond »

Snook will eat a pretty wide variety of flies. Size and what the fly resembles are the most important factors. Color matters but much less but can be everything in certain situations. I've tied some pretty funky things that just barely resemble any one of their preferred prey items and they will still eat it. I tend to stick to small baitfish and shrimp for most my snook fishing but for my area that's usually just "match the hatch" selection.
As far as a rod, reel, and line... 6-9wt (medium to fast action) is enough for everything short of a 45in snook. Once you have some experience fighting fish with a fly rod a 7 or 8 will do. TFO mangrove is an amazing rod for the money. If you are willing to learn how to palm a reel, then a reel is little more than line storage, that said it's going to take some practice. :lol: I wouldn't waste money on it up front. As for line I say a short belly taper. I really like RIO bonefish quickshooter. Doesn't last more than a year and a half of hard fishing but shoots and handles like no ones business.

Goodluck
Miami/Key Biscayne/Homestead/Keys
Devoted spearfisher, Obsessive Fly Fisher and Avid spinfisher
Mitch

cgreene
Fisher

Post by cgreene »

You might also want to invest in a good fly fishing vest. My years of experience fly fishing thought me that its always great to be ready for anything while fishing. This is where the pockets come in handy because you can store a lot of items in them. If youre looking to get one, you should visit click this link.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

White/Yellow Clouser will do the trick..

7 or 9 wt fly rod/reel setup. You can get a starter setup, or go all the way overboard and spend well over a grand on a Rod/Reel/Line/Backing.

Look at the TFO Signature series rods and Orvis Hydros reel, you should be able to get away for around $300.00, if you shop well, and have a pretty good setup... that's just mpo there are many other brands in that price range that will serve you for years.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Return to “FlyFishing Help”