What is the best speargun for begginer

Ask your spearfishing questions here Gear, Location ideas, etc.
ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

What is the best speargun for begginer

Post by ccoope29 »

Im looking to buy a speargun for begginer. I dont want a piece of crap one that will break just because im a begginer. I want more of an intermediate one that i could use when i get even better after starting. Also where can i get my license and do you need a license really to spear.

ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

Re: What is the best speargun for begginer

Post by ccoope29 »

Check this one out on craigslist. What do you guys think

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/spo/741019851.html

fishinDave07
Old Salt

Post by fishinDave07 »

Hey man, that gun is "ok" but i would recommend going bigger. I have a Biller 42 Special and im starting to "out grow" it. For reef definately get 42 or larger.

just my .02 cents
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

Bigger is better for the most part. Florida Freedivers has a Spora Sub 90 for 125. It is a great deal and what I have. The price dropped because Spora Sub name was canned and rebranded by their parent company Mares. That is why their gear is on clearance all over the place now. The 90 is big enough for small hunting on reefs. If I wanted to go out into the blue, or hunt anything larger than 3 foot, I would need something bigger. I suspect I will get a bigger speargun soon. The key is using the right tool for the right job. My buddy is doing fine on the reef with a pole spear, but he plans on buying a really large pole spear for $200. It really depends on what you like to spear with as well.
Kizer

ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

Post by ccoope29 »

thanks im going to take a trip up to that store sometime this week to start collecting some equipment. Whats a good mask that you can recommend

EHC342
Seasoned Fisher

Post by EHC342 »

i would suggest an ab biller 42 or the 48 in stainless steal, its as good as the mohagony but about 35 dollars cheaper... if you are worried about the sound a metal gun makes you can just get a plastic guide for the barrel so the shaft doesnt make that clicking when it hits..they run about 5 to 15 bucks...

fishinDave07
Old Salt

Post by fishinDave07 »

ccoope29 wrote:Whats a good mask that you can recommend
I personally like the Omer abyss exclusive. its nice because the mirror on the outside and the yellow tint on the inside reduce glare and really bring out the colors of the reef. My bro has the alien exclusive and its a pretty nice mask as well.

What ever mask you get, be sure to treat it with coke over night and then with a routine toothpaste regimen to get off the film.
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

Return to “General Spearfishing Talk”