Going out to Oakland Reef 07/04/08

Ask your spearfishing questions here Gear, Location ideas, etc.
Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Going out to Oakland Reef 07/04/08

Post by Kizer »

I am headed out for Oakland reef early on the 4th. We will swim out to the 2nd or 2rd reef line, and drift until right before Anglins.

If anyone wants to head out with us, let me know.
Kizer

ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

Re: Going out to Oakland Reef 07/04/08

Post by ccoope29 »

Hey Kizer can i come with you. I live in hollywood florida. I see you stay in boca i know how to get there because i go to school up there FAU baby. Yea but i never went spearfishing before, but I am looking to start freediving. I have no one to go with so it would be cool if i could come with you and you can show me some stuff. All i have right now is some fins ,mask,and snorkel. Nothing real speacial just something a guy gave me to start practicing on. He goes spearfishing alot, but is an older guy and always busy. So i need a partner bro. someone to learn with and teach me some new stuff. I have money to help pay for expenses and i dont mind. I am off all day friday. So give me a call bro. The name is Chris. 954-605-5436.

Im starting to get into that freediving stuff and am very fascinated with those spearfishing youtube videos. i look at them everyday lolz.

fishinDave07
Old Salt

Post by fishinDave07 »

Guys, be EXTREMELY careful of idiot/drunken boaters "pre-partying" and sht like that. Use your dive flag, and use it good.

ccoope29 wrote:Im starting to get into that freediving stuff and am very fascinated with those spearfishing youtube videos. i look at them everyday lolz.
Welcome to the sickness :dude:
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

ccoope29 wrote:Hey Kizer can i come with you. I live in hollywood florida. I see you stay in boca i know how to get there because i go to school up there FAU baby. Yea but i never went spearfishing before, but I am looking to start freediving. I have no one to go with so it would be cool if i could come with you and you can show me some stuff. All i have right now is some fins ,mask,and snorkel. Nothing real speacial just something a guy gave me to start practicing on. He goes spearfishing alot, but is an older guy and always busy. So i need a partner bro. someone to learn with and teach me some new stuff. I have money to help pay for expenses and i dont mind. I am off all day friday. So give me a call bro. The name is Chris. 954-605-5436.

Im starting to get into that freediving stuff and am very fascinated with those spearfishing youtube videos. i look at them everyday lolz.
You are more than welcome to join us. Keep in mind we are very new to the sport as well. I have been out about 6 times now. I will give you a call later today. You have to be a good swimmer. We go out between 1/4 - 1/2 mile off shore. We then stay out between 3-4 hours drifting with the current. Neither of us are athletes. but we are working on it. ;) I am trying to rent a Kayak to bring out with us this Friday. I have not heard back from the guy so I am not sure if that will happen. It would be nice to throw the fish on, rest, and get some water.
Kizer

ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

Post by ccoope29 »

Im not a professional either but a previous athlete and a consistent weightlifter. I am a pretty good swimmer so thats not a problem.

ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

Okay Fellas I went out with Kizer and his Buddy

Post by ccoope29 »

Okay guys i met up with kizer and his buddy to do a little spearfishing with them. I wasn't spearfishing I was just swimming because it was my first time in the ocean that far so I was getting use to it. I was lucky to pick up a mask on the way to the beach that was more intuned to free diving in the ocean. So we get out gear and stuff ready and we start swimming out. When we are halfway to the location Kizer is trying to get to my freaking mask breaks. I was trying to tighten it and it broke( was told it does not have to be that tight and store owner switched with new one for me after I left). Okay so we are out there and kizer got a fish the first one. We go out somemore and do a little more swimming. Mind you this is my first time out like that so im remaining calm everything was good because im an okay swimmer. My legs were tired but hey im a son of a military veteran so i guess thats where i get my tough skills. So after were out a big I put my mask on since i had to hold it on my face and i just put my face undewater. Next thing you know i look down and I see a freaking shark half the size of my dodge charger<---:dude: Thats my baby----- anyway it was big. So i didnt panick but kizers buddy was ahead of me and he saw it too. It was funny though because when i saw it i lifted my head up to tell his buddy and he already saw it and was telling me to hurry up swim so we can group together. So i see the shark and my calf muscles crinch up and i get a bad taste in my mouth. My first time being so damn close to a shark and feeling helpless lolz, but now that im safe I feel like it was freaking awesome :uplol: . Well thats the story fellas kinda of long eyyyy :compress: . So now my next thing to do is get a better snorkel( was using a POS one), and practice somemore on my techniques.

Have a happy July 4th fellas

Kizer I think this is the shark that we saw. The reef shark. They say normally found by the edges.

http://www.floridasharktales.net/typesofsharks.htm----> different types of florida sharks and pictures

Dadfish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dadfish »

Great report, bud..Glad your first trip was such a success...

Feared by many, ridiculed by most, lusted after by all that see me...
I am....DADFISH !!!

Return to “General Spearfishing Talk”