Artificial Reefs of Dania Beach

Ask your spearfishing questions here Gear, Location ideas, etc.
Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Artificial Reefs of Dania Beach

Post by Kizer »

I heard that there is good snorkeling and spearing off of Dania Beach Park. Anyone been?
Kizer

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Artificial Reefs of Dania Beach

Post by krash »

I dive there a lot during loster season, but not from the beach. We alomst always carry a speargun because if we don't invariably we see a nice hog snapper or three. Lots of Grouper but seldom a legal sized one.

There are 3 reef lines running parallel to the shoreline basically from Port Everglades South to Haulover. The first one is in about 14-20 feet of water in as close as a couple hundred yards form shore but is mostly covered over with sand for the past couple years, but traces still exist. The second reef is in 20-40 feet of water has 2 definite sides in many places less then 50 yards across, this is the one we dive mostly, its pretty well defined and runs most of the way down. Aroudn Hollywood it gets wider and nicer. I see beach launc divers with floats swim out to this reef sometimes. The next reef is not manage-able as a beach swim out, besides being to far you'd cretainly get run down by an errant baoter. Its 40 to 60' deep not really defined form end to end, but for spearfishing is much better.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

cybereagle
I FEAR NO FISH

Post by cybereagle »

Question ?How many yards do you have to be of shore to spearfish?.

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

100 yards from shore.

Thanks for the info on dania beach. We use a kayak, I assume that the third line is doable with a kayak, right? Also, does it make sense to put in farther north to make sure we hit the wide part?
Kizer

Return to “General Spearfishing Talk”