Rod and Reel combo

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
Jules89
Fisher

Rod and Reel combo

Post by Jules89 »

I'm looking to get more into finesse fishing with swim-baits and lures, such as slash-bait. Is there any particular combo that will do the job?

kblue
SHARKER

Re: Rod and Reel combo

Post by kblue »

Jules89 wrote:I'm looking to get more into finesse fishing with swim-baits and lures, such as slash-bait. Is there any particular combo that will do the job?
What is your budget?

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

I kind of stay away form most combo's... it easy to put together a great set-up form $200.00 and up depending on your budget.

For that application I used either spinning gear 2500, 3000, 4000 series reel (shimano sizes for reference), on a 7' med-fast action rod, spooled up with 10-20 pound braid.

I'd recommend staying with name brand stuff, Names like Shimano, Diawa, Quantum, Peen reels.. there are many many nice7' graphite rods with good guides like Star, St. Croix, Shimano, Falcon.. briads Power Pro, Suffix, Fins...

If budget is an issue or you are clumsy and worried about warranty, buy a Bass Pro Shops signature or name branded outfit with lifetime waranty on the rod. Their customer service is good but better on theri branded stuff.. but don't get fooled just because the BPS reel has more bearings.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Jules89
Fisher

Post by Jules89 »

krash wrote:I kind of stay away form most combo's... it easy to put together a great set-up form $200.00 and up depending on your budget.

For that application I used either spinning gear 2500, 3000, 4000 series reel (shimano sizes for reference), on a 7' med-fast action rod, spooled up with 10-20 pound braid.

I'd recommend staying with name brand stuff, Names like Shimano, Diawa, Quantum, Peen reels.. there are many many nice7' graphite rods with good guides like Star, St. Croix, Shimano, Falcon.. briads Power Pro, Suffix, Fins...

If budget is an issue or you are clumsy and worried about warranty, buy a Bass Pro Shops signature or name branded outfit with lifetime waranty on the rod. Their customer service is good but better on theri branded stuff.. but don't get fooled just because the BPS reel has more bearings.
I plan on buying the Penn Battle 2 4000. As for the rod i want something with enough backbone to fish a pier.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

A 4000 setup isnt enough backbone other than for macks, bluefish, pomps, 5lb jacks, maybe slot snook and some snapper..other than that, youll get wrecked by bigger fish. But nothing is impossible.. :)

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Jules89 wrote:I'm looking to get more into finesse fishing with swim-baits and lures, such as slash-bait. Is there any particular combo that will do the job?

This isn't pier fishing, 4000 is not heavy enough the pier except for catching baits... you need to step up that equipment I recommended for Pier fishing... I'd go up to 6000 series reels, med heavy rods and 20-30 pound line... sorry my mis-understanding. 7'- 8' rods can still be had but move up to med-heavy action, reels probably add another 50 bucks.

Jules89
Fisher

Post by Jules89 »

krash wrote:

This isn't pier fishing, 4000 is not heavy enough the pier except for catching baits... you need to step up that equipment I recommended for Pier fishing... I'd go up to 6000 series reels, med heavy rods and 20-30 pound line... sorry my mis-understanding. 7'- 8' rods can still be had but move up to med-heavy action, reels probably add another 50 bucks.

So I need amed heavy rod? Will istill be able to fish soft plastics like gulps and swimbaits?

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Jules89 wrote:
krash wrote:

So I need amed heavy rod? Will istill be able to fish soft plastics like gulps and swimbaits?
Not effieiently...

Jules89
Fisher

Post by Jules89 »

This isn't pier fishing, 4000 is not heavy enough the pier except for catching baits... you need to step up that equipment I recommended for Pier fishing... I'd go up to 6000 series reels, med heavy rods and 20-30 pound line... sorry my mis-understanding. 7'- 8' rods can still be had but move up to med-heavy action, reels probably add another 50 bucks.[/quote]
So I need amed heavy rod? Will istill be able to fish soft plastics like gulps and swimbaits?[/quote]

Not effieiently...[/quote]

I just need a lure throwing setup for gotchas spoons and plastics, I already have a 6'6 medium heavy ugly stick, which also has a fast action tip. Also I have an 8 footer medium heavy rod

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

krash wrote:

Interesting, my go-to setup for throwing pompano jigs and little bucktails on piers is a 3000 reel with 10 lb braid on a 7' light rod. Will handle any pompano or Spanish mack you find, and a lot bigger fish too if you know what you are doing.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

What I use for throwing lures is an Ugly Stik Elite 1 piece 7 foot medium rod with a 4000 spinning reel and 12 pound mono.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Wow to think the last 30 years I've been using 2000-3000 class reels to kill everything short of snook sharks and tarpon on the local piers and I've been doing it all wrong
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Sarcasm at its best!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

:thumright:
snapperfanatic18 wrote:Sarcasm at its best!
Lol
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”