Mission: Adding magnetic brake to old Saltist 50H

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
kblue
SHARKER

Mission: Adding magnetic brake to old Saltist 50H

Post by kblue »

I was sick and tired of having bird nest on conv. reel with braid. Typically, I was getting 1 out of 3...but when someone watching it, I get 1 out 1... :mad:
It specially happens because I over do it...it is like golf swing... My thumb has no finger print... I know someone will laugh about it... I am so serious... and specially casting heavy left-over 16 oz weight from PR trip was specially hard... As I am lazy to go out to practice... I want to cheat it by adding powerful magnetic brake without emptying my wallet...and cast like a real pro while poeple watching me... I saw some youtube where a person in AUS modifies many types of reels with adding magnetic brake...I think the shipping cost to AUS will be more expensive than the cost of reel... So I want to do this by myself...to my old satlist 50H...This reel has been broken so many time and I just fixed clutch again...

So I can cast further than rare... Da bridgeman whipped the rod to power line but no bird nest there...life is so not fair... So I want to make it fair... :wink:

Throw me some tips and advice if I can do this without ruining the daiwa...But it has to be a good one as you should know now about how it goes with kblue... If he wants to do something, he will just do it until he f@ck it up or he gets some mediocre quality ...

Rare
SHARKER

Re: Mission: Adding magnetic brake to old Saltist 50H

Post by Rare »

Use more mono

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

I saw Joey toss OVER those same power lines aiming at a boat and he almost hit it. Asked if they wanted to see another toss the boat moved away. True story
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Yeah, FF73 has a bad habit of casting over the power lines, without really trying. Bolo asked him once if there was something wrong with his reel. Chris takes it and throws it over and proceeds to tell Rich, reels fine, it's you that sucks. Still cracks me up.

KBlue, you should be able to find mag upgrade vids on YouTube. Pretty simple really. You need 2 small round rare earth magnets. Epoxy one to the spool and one to the reel body. Make sure they are on the same plane inside the reel so they oppose each other as the spool spins. That's all there is to it. Sand the glue surfaces in the reel and clean the magnets with denatured Alcohol or acetone. Distance between the magnets will determine how much effect they have. Closer, more. farther away, less. Also closer will cost a little more distance than farther away.

Hope this makes sense.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

There is nothing special about this. I just want to make it clear that i dislike hitting the power line for many reasons. Im not there trying to hit the 4/5th power-line and wish they weren't there. Nothing special about getting tangle and losing your lead or your whole rig up there if you cant time it right to get it out.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Adjust your drag and dial it out
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

crashmister wrote:Yeah, FF73 has a bad habit of casting over the power lines, without really trying. Bolo asked him once if there was something wrong with his reel. Chris takes it and throws it over and proceeds to tell Rich, reels fine, it's you that sucks. Still cracks me up.
I am smart enough not to ask someone else try my reel and cast a mile...lol
crashmister wrote: KBlue, you should be able to find mag upgrade vids on YouTube. Pretty simple really. You need 2 small round rare earth magnets. Epoxy one to the spool and one to the reel body. Make sure they are on the same plane inside the reel so they oppose each other as the spool spins. That's all there is to it. Sand the glue surfaces in the reel and clean the magnets with denatured Alcohol or acetone. Distance between the magnets will determine how much effect they have. Closer, more. farther away, less. Also closer will cost a little more distance than farther away.
Hope this makes sense.
That's it.

Thank you Bro

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I was surprised to see my old saltist 50H has centrifugal brake... :cheers: I didn't use this reel for surf casting... Maybe, I keep this reel as it is... The one that gave me trouble was okuma metaloid. Free spool speed was too fast...
saltist 50H.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

You tossing a 1lb lead is bad.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:You tossing a 1lb lead is bad.
I blame the reel for now... lol

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Actually, you don't need to add a magnet to the spool. The effect will still work on the bare aluminum and you won't throw the spool off balance. You can control the amount of braking by how many magnets you add.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

BEOWULF wrote:Actually, you don't need to add a magnet to the spool. The effect will still work on the bare aluminum and you won't throw the spool off balance. You can control the amount of braking by how many magnets you add.
Thanks for the info... I googled it and found lenz effect...

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Really blue???? Your inquiring mind concludes it's da equipment and not the pure physics of the swing and the sinker. Preposterous. You don't hit home runs because your bat is made of harder wood. Or more touchdowns because of soft balls. No matter how many times each of us have seen it.........ALL anglers stop to watch the arc of the perfect cast. I've seen that kid cast....beyond the distance is an effortless motion.

Trust me....that permit didn't come up hanging UNDER the net because of the size of the mesh. Just enjoy playing baseball and forget about ever getting into the Hall of Fame. ***************No commies or gamblers allowed (so far)
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

He thinks wtf's wrong with the reel...
bird nest.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Hey! I did not give you permission to post picture. Still trying to clear that mess.
Blue, my SEa II's have free spool that's off the charts. Takes a bit of getting used to but once you do,
Wow! Okuma has really come on in the last few years.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

OK, I went pompano pier and tested my old Saltist 50H with original centrifugal brake... (I had this reel over a decade but never used it on surf cast rod...) I put this reel on gator T90 blank... The result was amazing with 8, 10, 12 oz weight... step by step I relaxed on thumb brake until I realized I don't need thumb brake on the cast with this reel thanks to centrifugal brake... I cast it head wind and tail wind... I was so satisfied with the result... I found a reel that I can cast without thumb brake...!!!

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”