Calstar GF900L Spinner

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Calstar GF900L Spinner

Post by njp32 »

So this is supposed to be my first higher quality (more $$$) build lol. I built the handle first and then it sat for a while. Just recently, I finally convinced myself to start with the wrapping. I'm about 90 percent done with the wrapping just need to do the trim wraps, hook keeper, and the thread ramp transition for the shrink tubing (wish me luck on that one lol)

So far:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Re: Calstar GF900L Spinner

Post by STRIZ »

That is a tight build.

Nicely done
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Looks just like the rod that kblue built except 40lbs. lighter :auto: :auto: :auto:
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Kingofthesea wrote:Looks just like the rod that kblue built except 40lbs. lighter :auto: :auto: :auto:

Dam, you finally said something funny!! :mrgreen: (notice the name of the face thing)

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Don't know what's funny...

@ njp32. your wrap is superb !!! I hope epoxy comes out even better...

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

@kingofthesea, Sounds like there's a good back story to that joke, but you kind of lost me there... :scratch:

STRIZ & kblue, thanks I find that i learn something new after every project. I've never done a thread transition from bare blank to shrink tubing so this should be interesting.

BTW I didn't realize how small those pics were sorry. This should fix it.

The blank with the electrical tape (temporary) is my next project.
It used to be a 9 ft BPS cobia spinner (the one with the big wire frame guides) I acquired it on my quest for a "cheap" 9ft 1-pc GRAPHITE blank.60 bucks off the "used" rod rack at bass pro.

I completely stripped it down to the blank and sanded off the blue tint. guides, reel seat, foam and all. What a nightmare!!! I learned a valuable lesson about rebulding a rod vs. using a brand new blank. I went to bed that night dreaming about razor blades, lighters, the smell of burning epoxy, and sandpaper lol.
I thought I could save a few bucks on blanks by buying and stripping used rods, but IMO would gladly pay the extra $$$ on a new blank.

Anyways, the hard part is over and I'm hoping to make it into a conventional rod for snapper on the keys bridges :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Those wraps are really nice. Have you thought about a different color under the wrap to hide the blank showing?

I think that would boost the butt wrap visually
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

STRIZ wrote:Those wraps are really nice. Have you thought about a different color under the wrap to hide the blank showing?

I think that would boost the butt wrap visually
I think so too. Actually I've never done one like that before. I want to try it though. Shouldnt be too hard right?
The next wrap I do is gonna be like that once I decide on the colors i want to use. I want to do another fade wrap. Maybe red-magenta-purple, or like a magenta-purple-blue. Or even yellow-green-blue. I want something that will pop. Gotta do some more experimenting!

Might be a little more challenging cause i usually mark the blank to guide me with the crosswrap. Im a little apprehensive about marking the theads on the underwrap. I guess ill use tape or something.

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Not so many dots to make on the underwrap. I always marked mines with no problem whatsoever.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

kblue wrote:Don't know what's funny...
If you are on the Forum for them minutes and font know what's funny......its you. And thank you very much green dik. I've been trying t o get your attention since i left.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”