bridge sticks

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
kblue
SHARKER

bridge sticks

Post by kblue »

After my bridge trip with three finger mullets, I saw bridge monster rods... So I am planning to build some hard sticks... 9ft fiber-glass cast rods that can cast up to 1LB of weight (and bait). as i become a big fan of Calstar, I found some Calstar E-glass blank (30-60LB) and (20 - 80LB) @ $80 range... I plan to have all wire guides...

Let me know if you guys think these blanks are good enough to cast up to 1LB weight...
or recommend something...

Rare
SHARKER

Re: bridge sticks

Post by Rare »

Is the T550 1 of the blanks you are at? Blue, unless someone post something I will suggest to email calstar and find out I think this is your best bet as calstar are not a east coast thing unless on boats and not many on the bridge. I need to look at a few options as well .

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

what blank was used for your rod that I had poon on... I think you had avet...

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Gator blank T90XH- Raul made that one for me. I will still look at the calstar because of the upper rating.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

OK, that was very good... Do you know if I can get it locally?

yes those calstar I found are 550 B(black) or T(Tan).
Calstar was good for boat fishing...no idea how good for casting...
I will ask them...

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Gonna be watching this one
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

STRIZ wrote:Gonna be watching this one

Willy says hi, Ron. I was watching a boxing fight yesterday with him and he asked about you. :toast: Good to hear from you Ron.

Kblue the only place that i know is driving up to mudhole for that but you might also try T&R also cause i got my gator 50-96 blank from them long ago.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Well owning one of the 9ft heavy calstars I say the rod is fantastic I'll cast an 8 with bait no problem
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Blue....I don't agree with GK on much lately but I would use exactly what hes using as described. I've seen him toss over the powerline wires at Channel 2 trying to hit some guys on a boat. Not as far. Over the wires!!!!! Nilsen launched an absolute mortar off on Anglins for my amazement but I don't have a reference point like I do those wires. Just learn how to use what they use if you want to be famous commie caster
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Mudhole has free delivery over $149...So two blank will do...
Gater KC50-96 blanks($94) is more expensive than Calstar E-glass 9ft ($80)...

Gator 50-96 has tip size of 7mm while Calstar has 4mm.
I seem to believe 7mm may be what I need... as I want heavy- moderate action for convention reel...

I may go to T&R just to see their stock.
gruntking wrote:Well owning one of the 9ft heavy calstars I say the rod is fantastic I'll cast an 8 with bait no problem
I saw how good you and rare are... you will cast any rod... I will email Calstar for their opinion...
I can witness that calstar is nice blank for boat fishing rod... But I seem to believe good boat fishing rod can not be good long-casting rod for conventional reel...
Kingofthesea wrote:Blue....I don't agree with GK on much lately but I would use exactly what hes using as described. I've seen him toss over the powerline wires at Channel 2 trying to hit some guys on a boat. Not as far. Over the wires!!!!! Nilsen launched an absolute mortar off on Anglins for my amazement but I don't have a reference point like I do those wires. Just learn how to use what they use if you want to be famous commie caster
I hope I can start a thread you can enjoy in CA... :toast: For this one, I am down to earth...lol

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

K,

The blank T&R had for me is not my casting rod. I was giving you an example that you might get a gator blank there.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Rares right blue, cal star was designed for the
west coast tuna market. I have 5 Calstar 770 - Xh series rail rods in acid wrap. Pete built em for me. Great rods but there are better choices for a bridge rod.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I would have to disagree with Calstar not being good bridge rods. Bolo has several and I love them. Light weight , light load , quick taper, great backbone, and cast like a dream. Really tell me how they are bad bridge rods and what blanks are better ? If I ever buy another bridge rod it will be a custom with a Calstar blank. I have several Gator blanks and they are great as well but Calstars are another class all together
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

I stand corrected. Didn't realize, our blanks are 150.00+ Chris. Didnt say they were a bad choice, just thought they were a bit expensive.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I'm on the same boat...I just said it's not much of an east coast thing and mostly found on boats. I was eyeing a 9fter just yesterday for a spinner. They can be found at shops here but mudhole is not that far and a nice road trip with a few others so you can see all there blanks and test.

The one thing I do remember is that folks were cutting a few inch off the top. As much as calstar are nice rod...UC, seeker etc are other great rods to look at.

I'm looking at a blank right now and if Ron saw what I'm looking at he will boss of the house me out...lol

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Well tell me will ya

Aint no Cal aint no Phenix

What is it

a Rainshadow or a Gator or a lami or a Seeker

For all I know it is a Key West rod or how they may be called.

Not bad tho

So dang it tell me
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

By the way Cal's are a very good choice. Just the graphite or the Carbon Mix makes me nervous.

oh now I know you looking at a Mudhole house brand. Cant even remember their house brand lol

Or did you go with a American?

They do have (some) bada$$ blanks
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

STRIZ wrote:By the way Cal's are a very good choice. Just the graphite or the Carbon Mix makes me nervous.

oh now I know you looking at a Mudhole house brand. Cant even remember their house brand lol

Or did you go with a American?

They do have (some) bada$$ blanks

Don't really know why they would make you nervous I think they are some of the greatest rods I've ever had the pleasure of fishing
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Hey, PB.....yep, that's why they will cut a few inch on the top. Is UC now gusa or however that goes now. Forgot which rod had the hexagon blank but it's sweet.

Ron, you are on the right direction....lol

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Thanks PB
Excellent

You are right on my concern... I want moderate amount of acceleration during cast... I may go with gator ...not too fancy

Boat rod must have certain sensitivity to detect fish bite and stiffness against sea wave or boat motion...which means some fast action... Graphite helps to achieve this...what I was so impressed with calatar was glass tip is flex enough for circle hook or boat motion and graphite body delivers fish bites so well... Circle hook go so well with cal... But it's graphite body will create some acceleration during the cast and I had to adjust myself... But calatar have 9ft made of 100% e glass. And cheaper than gator...it want to ask calatar for their opinion

Btw I will test my graphite 9ft cal with 8 oz to see how it goes...

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

gruntking wrote:Don't really know why they would make you nervous I think they are some of the greatest rods I've ever had the pleasure of fishing
Well not a Cal as brand but graphite on longer blanks any brand. I am just to clumsy and have broken 1 or 2 cuz I stepped on em on the boat or in the car.

My fibers rods? Dang I drove home from LK with rare and broke the damn windshield with the tip. And I just 2 weeks earlier had Car glass Repair put in a brand new one insurance related. 2 weeks later I break it. First one I was made and hit it from the inside. Not hard but my wedding ring did the trick lol

Graphite is cool stuff it is just my personal bad juju owning a longer graphite.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

:biglaugh: x2

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

permitchaser wrote:
:biglaugh: x2

Lol

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

K,

GK, Just to show you that i have been listening to ya. Joe, believe it or not told me to tone down with my sarcastic remarks and stop being an ahole. Here is a KC-50 blank i have. Ron made me one and extended to 9'2 and Raul made me as well. But believe the one Raul made was 8ft plus so he didnt have much to extend. You are more than welcome to take KC-50 blank no charge. Start another project with it. As good faith you have shown and not once did you send me an PM crying about something i said or how some of us do things......is my gift to you. From the 3 finger mullet & sour grape gang-

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Rare wrote:K,

GK, Just to show you that i have been listening to ya. Joe, believe it or not told me to tone down with my sarcastic remarks and stop being an ahole. Here is a KC-50 blank i have. Ron made me one and extended to 9'2 and Raul made me as well. But believe the one Raul made was 8ft plus so he didnt have much to extend. You are more than welcome to take KC-50 blank no charge. Start another project with it. As good faith you have shown and not once did you send me an PM crying about something i said or how some of us do things......is my gift to you. From the 3 finger mullet & sour grape gang-

if KB Dont want it ,ill take da KC , :jester:

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

LOL

I still have 1 of them as well.

Some sturdy stuff.

KC 5086 is IGFA certified true 50lb blank and strong as fu(k
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Those things are great to pull big fish from pillons ,it's a heavy rod. But very secure.I know a lot of you love light rods ,graffite I don't my son love them for snook and when he builds a rod he only epoxy the guides, so rod won't be too heavy. Not me I like fiberglass but that's me.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Just about all my permits are surfing on these rods. It is a heavy blank when it's all done.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Rare wrote:Just about all my permits are surfing on these rods. It is a heavy blank when it's all done.

yes its not an ideal casting rod to heavy
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Thank You Rare!!!
I will take it... And will build it as one of bridge sticks...

My work schedule sucks at the moment... I am working 12 hours a day including holidays...

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”