New Rod recommendations please.

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
Zeek22
Fisher

New Rod recommendations please.

Post by Zeek22 »

Alright guys, its safe to say that im hooked on this hobby. I've been at it for about 2 months and I want to upgrade my gear. I started this whole fishing experience with a little zebco rod that I found in my brother in laws garage. Im looking for a rod that I can use for both salt and freshwater applications if that's even possible. I was searching around and kept coming back to the ugly stik gx2 mh rod 6 ' 6. What do you guys think of it and if you have a better option please let me know. Im thinking of pairing it with a shimano sedona fe. My budget for this is not that big. Im trying to get a reel for under 100 and a rod for the same or less. Any help would be great.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Re: New Rod recommendations please.

Post by xtremeh18 »

I have three 7ft. GX2 rods and they have been nothing but great to me. I have caught everything from tiny yellow tails to a 3 foot bonnet head shark on them. They are only 39 bucks which is cheap for a rod but the quality seems to be really good. This is just my personal opinion.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Grab a Fierce 2 or Battle Combo. Something in the 3000-4000 range will be plenty enough for you and you're under a $100 after spooling if you shop smart.

Or grab a low end shimano rod, something like the stimula or sojourn for $20-25.

Are you coming to the beach cleanup? If so let me know, I'll look around my gear and I might can come up with something.

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

There's this cheap place next to dolphin mall.... Its like 50 for 4000 PENN Fierce combo last time i went there 1835 NW 112th Avenue, Unit # 167 and they also have a bunch of cheap stuff as well.... the dude running the shop is pretty nice :toast: :toast:

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

If you're still looking, or anyone else for that matter. Penn is blowing out the Fierce for $29-39 bucks.

http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-s ... le&start=1

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

I prefer 16ft cane pole myself

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

I have a gx2 paired with a penn fierce 4000. Perfect combo. Works great in fresh water or LIGHT saltwater fishing....thats the downside. Anything good for fresh is only good for LIGHT saltwater. I highly recommend a set up for saltwater and different set up for freshwater. Youre gona be upset with yourself for compromising when u hook a fish too big for your gx2 or when the wind/current is too strong for the light weight rigs the gx2 throws.
Usually ill soak a stronger set up while on a pier, then drop a line from the gx2 for sheepshead or snapper.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

Leadslinger wrote:Grab a Fierce 2 or Battle Combo. Something in the 3000-4000 range will be plenty enough for you and you're under a $100 after spooling if you shop smart.

Or grab a low end shimano rod, something like the stimula or sojourn for $20-25.

Are you coming to the beach cleanup? If so let me know, I'll look around my gear and I might can come up with something.
Could not agree more on the battle II combo....got the 3000 at the beginning of the year, loaded it with 10lb mono, and its been great to me....the fierce is solid too, but the guides on the rod suck.

just make sure you wash the reel every use and clean and lube/oil the inside every season. I've had my original battle I 4000 for about 3 years now and i dunked it once and now its the reel i let my gf or mom use (so it gets abused lol)m other than replacing the anti reverse bearing its been solid. I saw a bunch of refurbished fierce reels for $40 at bass pro dania ranging from 4-7000...and they had battle 1s and even saw a battle 2 5k for 60...they looked great and felt solid...anyone ever buy one?

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Moose wrote:
Leadslinger wrote:Grab a Fierce 2 or Battle Combo. Something in the 3000-4000 range will be plenty enough for you and you're under a $100 after spooling if you shop smart.

Could not agree more on the battle II combo....got the 3000 at the beginning of the year, loaded it with 10lb mono, and its been great to me....the fierce is solid too, but the guides on the rod suck.

just make sure you wash the reel every use and clean and lube/oil the inside every season. I've had my original battle I 4000 for about 3 years now and i dunked it once and now its the reel i let my gf or mom use (so it gets abused lol)m other than replacing the anti reverse bearing its been solid. I saw a bunch of refurbished fierce reels for $40 at bass pro dania ranging from 4-7000...and they had battle 1s and even saw a battle 2 5k for 60...they looked great and felt solid...anyone ever buy one?
I've grabbed quite a few of those rehabilitated Fierce reels for fishing off the kayak and for the missus to use. Not a single complaint. Opened them up to check grease and it looked brand new inside, new grease, no corrosion etc etc. I'd buy another without hesitation.

TimMiles0011
Fisher

Post by TimMiles0011 »

Have a look at Plusinno Spinning Rod

James5985
Fisher

Post by James5985 »

Hi there!
My dad likes to go fishing on the seafront (south east UK), actually, he doesn't catch anything really big, what size rod would be best for this?
I think he needs something light and easy to use.
My friend recommended me to have a look at KastKing BlackHawk rod.
https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/fishing-rods
He used it several times a few years ago, and the rod has never failed him.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”