Inherited Rigs

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
rlynge
Fisher

Inherited Rigs

Post by rlynge »

Good morning everyone,

I know I haven't posted recently but I have been lurking and learning. Alot has happened since I first came on this board. My wife and I bought a new home so I have been really busy with that venture.

I also had an uncle pass away a few weeks ago and bless his heart, he left me some of his most prized possessions. Since I am new to fishing I know absolutely nothing about them so I would thought I would tell you a little about them and get some thoughts from you.

My guess is that these are freshwater rigs since my uncle was notorious for bass fishing.

He left me two rod and reel combos. Both are Falcon LowRider XG rods (LFC-5-166 LR Herm Special) 6'6'' Medium heavy and both have Shimano Curado 200 bait cast reels (Im not sure what year)

Could anyone tell me a little about these? Am I able to use these for Saltwater? I know that he loved fishing and dumped all of his money into it so I want to make sure that I know what I have and how I can make use of it.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Re: Inherited Rigs

Post by baseball4life702 »

Mainly for bass and freshwater but hey it's still a rod and reel so if you are desperate or have an attachment to them and want to use them they will still work in salt but it's mainly for throwing lures not really dropping to the bottom or freelining.

rlynge
Fisher

Post by rlynge »

baseball4life702 wrote:Mainly for bass and freshwater but hey it's still a rod and reel so if you are desperate or have an attachment to them and want to use them they will still work in salt but it's mainly for throwing lures not really dropping to the bottom or freelining.

Would it be more beneficial to switch out the reel with something specifically made for salt water fishing? I know I can't really put a spinning reel onto a casting rod. The rods are in great condition and I would love to get some use out of them. The reels could probably use some TLC from the looks of them. I am kinda attached to them and would love to figure out a way to get some use or benefit from them

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

Yes, I would put new reels geared toward saltwater but that won't overpower the rod, the rods should be fine they aren't gonna be like a snook or shark rod lol but you should be able to use them for many other species.
It's all high quality gear nonetheless.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Depending on where your fishing those combos may work fine. For example if you're fishing in the bay and Grassflat those would be great for trout redfish smaller snook Seabass flounder snapper ladyfish.
One of the main things to be concerned with is the amount of drag you can apply. because of the braided line you can buy these days you could probably put 150 yards on one of those small reels and put a short top shot of mono and you have plenty of line to fight a large fish using a higher pound test line. Braids tensile strength is generally one and a half to two times it's rated strength depending on your knots.
If you're going to cast for Spanish macs that be very comfortable equipment to throw small Jigss and gotchas with.
If you're going to fish off of a pier I would say that 150 yards is a minimal amount of line for the long runs that you might encounter. But you know what. almost every time I go fishing on the bridges I get a hold of a what the hell was that type of fish that takes all the line he wants from a larger real that is more suited for the environment.
I would use what you got if that's what gets you out there and then you can determine by your fishing style and seeing what other people are using if you want to upgrade or change out to the other equipment.
One thing for sure is you should of went fishing with your uncle more often.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

rlynge
Fisher

Post by rlynge »

Thanks for the information guys. I am going to try and use what I have as all I have in mind is some wade fishing around structure. I am probably going to take the reels to a local shop to have them looked at, cleaned, greased and re-spooled with new braided line since I have no clue what is on them.
Green Tide wrote:One thing for sure is you should of went fishing with your uncle more often
Yeah, you are right. I should have gone fishing more with my uncle but the distance between us made that very hard to do. I will be sure to carry on his love as I have been wanting to learn more for quite some time.

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”