battle spool issues

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
captcrunku
Fisher

battle spool issues

Post by captcrunku »

so i have had a penn battle 3000 for about 6 months issue free. recently however when i reel line in no line gets spooled in at the bottom of the spool. so there is just alot of line stuck at the top of the reel with a big gap in the bottom. has anyone else ever had this issue? and does anyone know how to fix it?

captcrunku
Fisher

Re: battle spool issues

Post by captcrunku »

Theres a picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lasthope
Old Salt

Post by lasthope »

My penn 750 ss does the same exact poop with braid but spooks mono just fine. One of the many mysteries I've encountered with braid and penn. uhm I've done research a lot of it and some people say it's the washers , some people say your gears aren't fully pushing the shaft up and down . I just recently replaced my 750ss reverse clutch and it fixed it for me and I did that because my reel was back spinning .... So I don't really know :scratch: I did also take everything out and re oil grease etc .... Ya know may just be coincidence I have spheros , stradic, diawa reels and yet penn only one to ever give me issues like that

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

u most likely need reel repair.washers could have been plastic shims and wore out or shaft is not pushing spool up high enough. turn handle till spool gets to highest point ,then pull up spool see if it still has travel space. call penn or take to place of purshase

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

That's a very popular inexpensive reel used by many of us. I agree with worn washers usually being the culprit for uneven spooling but not on a six month old reel! If you are not happy just return or exchange it. One last obvious question.......did you put the line on the reel or did you have it loaded at point of purchase?
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

I don't believe the 750ss was designed to lay line evenly but the battle definitely was. I have had no battle issues but only using braid on mine no mono, but all my ss, ssm, ssg have always laid line uneven if you don't spool it with the right tension. I did have a battle issue where the bail wire bent and when the spool was sitting at height the bail could not be opened but it only took bending it back for a fix. Putting the line on yourself should make no difference because it was designed with level lay. Chit I just bought a 30$ okuma for bass fishing and that has level lay and lays the line perfect, these days you shouldn't have to use a machine to spool.
IMO send it to penn or return it, not even worth the trouble for a 6 month old especially the battle II.

Lasthope for the 750ss, if your not talking about the newest model of the ss, the older generations of the reel were not designed with level lay and it was up to user to get the line to lay properly.

lasthope
Old Salt

Post by lasthope »

My 750 is an old American made. All spinning reels can lay line without stacking , even getting it machine spooled if there's an issue with a washer or anything when you cast that lines going to reel in stacked . I like my own rods unless I'm feeling too lazy and after the repairs I did to my 750 new washers and new clutch it lines just as well as my stradic 8,000. The old ones weren't meant for braid tho so if you don't tighten up and seal up the bail cover the braid tends to sometimes slip into the cover and cut itself.

captcrunku
Fisher

Post by captcrunku »

Kingofthesea wrote:That's a very popular inexpensive reel used by many of us. I agree with worn washers usually being the culprit for uneven spooling but not on a six month old reel! If you are not happy just return or exchange it. One last obvious question.......did you put the line on the reel or did you have it loaded at point of purchase?
I just got it respooled recently at bass pro. when i went to spool it myself like i normally would all the line spooled at the topi\. at places with the machines though they can spool it more evenly. But after casting and reeling for about 2 weeks it got bad again. And does anyone have any recommendations on where to go for reel repair?

DragonFire
Weekend Warrior

Post by DragonFire »

If the only thing wrong with it is the line lay.. try adding washers and see what happens....this isn't something new... it happens and as
far as being worn out... again its a manmade product and lemons do come thru... but try the adding a couple of washers and see what happen..

Oh and as far as mono and line lay.... mono is way more forgiving then braid and hides everything really well... and who still uses mono :mrgreen:

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

if u took it to bass pro to get spooled they might have lost or misplaced the washer order.. look iin box for specs..

captcrunku
Fisher

Post by captcrunku »

thanks guys appreciate the help

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

There's a guy near me that does good repairs for cheaper than most part stores charge, but it's probably far from you, I can fix a lot of poop myself but never dealt with line lay issues otherwise I'd do it for u.
Also just my opinion but with the battle you shouldn't even bother having it mechanically spooled, I would just do it myself that way no washers get damaged or lost, on all mine I have never had stacking issues like with the older model penns.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

I have the same issue with a shimano symetre 3000FJ. After bringing it to the shop for cleaning and lube, then I replace the line and it starts to have this issue... Added 3 plastic trims and it still have the same issue... meh. I am using it just like that now.

captcrunku
Fisher

Post by captcrunku »

baseball4life702 wrote:There's a guy near me that does good repairs for cheaper than most part stores charge, but it's probably far from you, I can fix a lot of poop myself but never dealt with line lay issues otherwise I'd do it for u.
Also just my opinion but with the battle you shouldn't even bother having it mechanically spooled, I would just do it myself that way no washers get damaged or lost, on all mine I have never had stacking issues like with the older model penns.
the only reason i mechanically spooled it was because of the line lay. I spooled it myself twice but before i even got through 100 yards of line the top wold be full

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

That's good info, to me that's definitely a defective reel, Forget repair I would call penn and tell them that both you and mechanical spooling had stacking issues they should replace if they stand by their product. Even my first gen battles still lay great.

captcrunku
Fisher

Post by captcrunku »

ya im starting to think i have too

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”