Looking for a big pier/jetty/bridge blank. Graphite.

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
Sacrifice
Fisher

Looking for a big pier/jetty/bridge blank. Graphite.

Post by Sacrifice »

Howdee folks, relatively new user here. I live in south Florida and most of my fishing includes inshore saltwater, esp. the piers and inlets and anywhere else I can wet a line on foot without getting arrested. I started building rods when I was 14ish, back in the 80s. I left the hobby for quite a number of years, but have recently jumped back into it and have updated some of the old tackle, built a couple of new rods, and now it's time for the biggie...

OK, what I'm looking to replace: Those who fish the inlets and piers will know what I'm talking about. That 9' or 10' meatstick Gator or (if you were lucky) Harnell rod with the Jigmaster or 3/0 clamped on it, flinging big baits and 6 or 8 oz pyramid sinkers to sit on bottom while you tried to find something else to occupy your time while getting properly baked by the sun. Hopeful targets: Tarpon, Permit, Cobia. Reality check: runners, cudas, suction cup stingrays. :)

What I'm looking to replace it with: Something modern. Graphite. Light weight, yet with the same power. One piece. The reels I'm looking at are the all aluminum leverdrag braided line reels, like Accurates or Avets, loaded with something like 60 pound braid. I know I'm going to spend a huge chunk of money on it, but I'm prepared, and kind of excited to find something properly modern to replace those lumbering things sitting in the garage. (No, none of them are Harnells. The only one I ever owned suffered a horrific death in a rebuilding accident that I'd rather not discuss.)

Anyone have any good suggestions for blanks? I've hunted through many websites, seen a lot of blanks (usually listed as surf blanks) that -MIGHT- cut it, but the stats always seem like they are a little bit light for what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything local that I can actually put my hands on. Maybe someone here has built such a beast, or has seen something that they know would fit the bill?

Update: This was copy/pasted from another forum where I was looking for advice/suggestions. Tax refund this year bought an Accurate Dauntless 500 and I have enough left over to hopefully get me a blank and some of the other components so I can get started. Just gotta find the proper blank.

Mudhole had a number of blanks that I'd like to check out, and since they're just up in the O-town area, not too hard to get to, but I've also been wondering if there's anywhere in So FL that might have the same kind of selection I could check out in person.

Peace, and thanks in advance for the help.

Rare
SHARKER

Re: Looking for a big pier/jetty/bridge blank. Graphite.

Post by Rare »

What about them timber sticks you got over....is there a price for them? Gator 9fter

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

Are you dead set on building your own rod?

Sacrifice
Fisher

Post by Sacrifice »

Definately set on building my own. For one, I've been building for years, and can't really do it any other way.Aand two, I wouldn't really be able to afford to pay someone else to put in the attn to detail that I will in my own rod. You all know how that goes.

As far as the old rods, they still get use, I've already sold off two of them, and I have two of the biggies left that I'll probably hold on to. If that changes, I'll definately post up around here somewhere, seems to be a decently happening forum. :)

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

look on getbitoutdoors website. if u see anything let me know i have a wholesale account we could use. check with biscayne rods.

Sacrifice
Fisher

Post by Sacrifice »

Actually, I've been through Getbit's website too. There's one blank that I keep going back to, a Phenix Black Diamond blank, 9', 30-80lb, PSW909XHJ-B. Anyone ever check this blank out? Mudhole has them too, but they've got some numbers mixed up compared to Getbit and Phenix's website.

I guess I really need to plan a road trip up there. Both Getbit and Mudhole, so I'm kinda glad they're both in the same neighborhood. I gotta see them, put them in my hands. I have no idea if I'm even in the right ballpark for what I'm looking to do. That was one reason I was wondering if there's anyone down south who has a comparable selection.

njp32
Seasoned Fisher

Post by njp32 »

Get a 9 ft Calstar Grafighter 900M or H. They come with flimsy tips, but you can chop about 6 in off the tip and extend the butt however long you want using a piece of spare graphite to keep the weight down. Some bait and tackle chops have spare graphite pieces lying around, and they might let you have one if you ask nice enough :wink: unless you have one already. I would call around and ask to save time and gas. They're very strong blanks. I have a 900 "L" that I'm making into a spinner, I taped some guides on and I've casted 5-6 oz with full strength and confidence and it handles surprisingly well.

If that seems like too much work, you can check out lamiglas surf blanks. I know of at least one 10 ft blank they make that's an absolute monster. It's rated 6-12 oz and has a size 17 tip :shock: Its one piece graphite and you're looking at 60 bucks just to ship plus around 150 for the blank. Model # is GSB122-1MH. However that may be a bit too stiff for you.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Sacrifice
Fisher

Post by Sacrifice »

Well, I've done a search for that Lami blank, and no-go. I think maybe it's been discontinued. Could take some digging to find one. Not a bad option, at least on paper, but there's still the issue of needing to put it in my hands to see if it truly fits the bill.

I have seen the Calstar blank you mentioned. It's a bit light in the tip, and the idea of cutting some tip out and extending leaves you with a taper that's kinda funky. Strong blank though.

Thanks for the info! Keep it coming folks.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Funny you should mention, but I'm actually looking for a 8'-9'one piece bridge rod for my jigmaster...if anyone has one in great condition that's willing to part with it, send me an pm with a pic and price...thanks!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I want to hear your opinions on some rods that I have are very rare in states. I have 14ft, 11ft, 9.2 ft.
They are Graphite and Skinny Sexy rod. But they have strong backbone to handle most beast in S FL...
I live in Fort Lauderdale.
If you are interested in, PM me.

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

kblue wrote:I want to hear your opinions on some rods that I have are very rare in states. I have 14ft, 11ft, 9.2 ft.
They are Graphite and Skinny Sexy rod. But they have strong backbone to handle most beast in S FL...
these 1 piece blanks?? what are there rated for if so

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

LINESIDER wrote:
kblue wrote:I want to hear your opinions on some rods that I have are very rare in states. I have 14ft, 11ft, 9.2 ft.
these 1 piece blanks?? what are there rated for if so
I have one rod that I want to show you for your review.
it is designed for casting popper, plug, pencil, etc from boat.
Its bend is parabolic but it has a strong backbone...
It is built out of nano carbon by NS black Hole.
9.2 ft.

2pc...lol

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

2 pcs connection towards the bottom section? like the jigging rods or split up in middle of blank?

i have to take Philly his last custom rod and 80 international. been sitting here for 3 months. maybe we could all meet up.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

2 pcs connection towards the bottom section... Once 2 pc are connected, i never disconnect unless i travel

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

LINESIDER wrote:. maybe we could all meet up.
Either early next week Anglin's pier or early July. I will not be in town a few weeks.

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

next week is good maybe Wednesday,thursday

phillybass71
BOATLESS FISHING Honorary Guide

Post by phillybass71 »

What day is good I've been busy but I'll be there.
Plz put back the small ones.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I have time on mon or tue.

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”