Something new...

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Something new...

Post by BEOWULF »

Y'all see this wacky thing yet? :nilly:

Last edited by BEOWULF on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rare
SHARKER

Re: Something new...

Post by Rare »

BEOWULF wrote:[Y'all see this wacky thing yet? :nilly:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Cool stuff but seems like way too much work to cast to keep a straight line....lol

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Yeah, and how about the side casting without a level wind? Where's the drag? Still needs alot of developing, although IMHO, can't see it ever catching on.

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

lol, that thing is ridiculous.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Idea itself is innovative. But when it comes to fishing, we are so stubborn @ss. Very slow to learn new thing. Always my way or high way !!! :uplol: :uplol: :uplol:

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

kblue wrote:Idea itself is innovative. But when it comes to fishing, we are so stubborn @ss. Very slow to learn new thing. Always my way or high way !!! :uplol: :uplol: :uplol:
Not me. Just learn how to cast a conventional, or fish a spinner with braid. Too many moving parts= more likely something is to break.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Mechanical innovation for sure, but his logis is wrong, at least in my opinion....

Sure whe you cast a spinning reel out you put a positive number of twist in the line, if you want to call it that,,, but when you reel in the twist are naturally removed and pretty much equalized unless drag is pulled out
Using this reel and then switching the reel to the inline position you reel in it seems the twist stay in the line and unless you switch the reel to the opposite casting position the twist stay, if you cast in the original position you will add more twist. You would have to remember to alternate casting spool direction to keep a pretty near equalized non-twist assuming your cast are of equal length.
Now if you always cast in the inline position there should be little twist, but like someoen else stated there does not appear to be any sort of level wind mechanism and the line will pille up on one side or perhaps the middle.. there will likely still be some twisting like there is on a baitcaster or boatreel from the lure twisting in the wind on the cast or bait spinning in the water.

Not for me just another gimic, in my opinion, but I've not seen or tried one.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Backwoods123
Old Salt

Post by Backwoods123 »

Kinda weird if ya ask me... I don't have a problem casting straight lol .... Think looks like a 20 lb tarpon will blow that thing up... Googan special right there.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:
kblue wrote:Idea itself is innovative. But when it comes to fishing, we are so stubborn @ss. Very slow to learn new thing. Always my way or high way !!! :uplol: :uplol: :uplol:
Not me. Just learn how to cast a conventional, or fish a spinner with braid.
Chris

BTW, how many average guy do Kayak fishing and catching a sail fish with yoyo or spider rod?
I mean you are not average sport fisherman. I think you are from another planet. Seriously :uplol: :uplol: :uplol:

To be fair, learning how to cast a conventional is not the category of new thing I define, It is one of advanced but necessary skills to become a professional sport fisherman. Stubbornness kicks in once we learned most of common skills and are used to them for a decade... Fish does not change like smart phone. So some of those old timers know all the tricks. And we have to steal them :pirat: :pirat: :pirat:

-Kblue

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

There's always the Alvey sidecast reels. :roll:

http://www.alveyusa.com/side-casting/

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

BEOWULF wrote:There's always the Alvey sidecast reels. :roll:

http://www.alveyusa.com/side-casting/
I was try to recall the name of that reel. I saw it at S.I for the first time and saw the guy casting it fishing for sharks if im not mistaken. It looked like a yoyo on a rod.....

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

That reel has a lot more torque than high ratio reel.

Perfect for deep sea bottom fishing where high torque is required. (maybe not good for fish stronger than you :uplol: )
Like grouper fishing, you need to pull the fish off rocky bottom immediately after bite.
Most spinning or even high speed conventional won't work very well unless you have two speed conventional.

I think it has no dragging system (at least, the one I saw didn't have )
You had to fight fish with 1:1 gear ratio and no drag.
That means 150 LB tuna or Goliath grouper will easily pull you into the water or break your back. :uplol: :uplol:
Initial fishing pulling force could be 3 to 4 times of its weight.

Don't mind having one.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

This is a very specific fresh water reel. For its purpose, it's excellent. It's never going to see a fish over 4 lbs, and it's made to cast or "present" extremely light baits to very line and tackle shy fish. Twisted line is a huge bite killer. Kind of like Mutts being leader shy. Small mouth bugs and jigs won't work at all if your lines twisted. Swivels kill the action just as much.

Don't know if it even has a salt application. A nice Gog would probably destroy it.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”