thinking bout picking up TLD reels/also casting for pier

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: thinking bout picking up TLD reels/also casting for pier

Post by fishnfool73 »

xtheline wrote:Clarence, too much thought! get what u want but a TLD15 will work great for pier as well as boat for what. . $129.00 or $139.00. You were point on with braid backing. As Rare said 150 yd of mono on top. Since you fish Anglins regularly. You only have to re spool 150yd of mono when your line gets scarfed. Economical. Accurates, Avets etc. forget about it. Get the TLD or similar and then you can start upgrading your rods. Quality rods suited to the type of fishing you are doing will make a lot of difference. A more expensive reel will NOT make you a better caster. Go online and research fishing knots! You can get by in most situations with 3 or 4 knots if you learn to tie them well. Rare and all of the other guys on here who have been where you are (myself included) have all had roomfuls of tackle that we wound up selling off 'cause it was crap or just not right for what we were doing. Except for Chris, he was born a fisherman. Good luck.
I agree with everything you said Keith. I never tried the TLD 15 for casting but the 25s are really not great for it. I have said for a while that 90 % of the posters on this site do not need high end reels. Invest in a middle tier reel and a custom or rod specialized for how you fish.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Well serviced squidder will give you many many more years of service... I have one SMOOTH as butter that does not even have a rod! I love how far I can sling lead with it though! Just a heads up brother. They are usually dirt cheap too, and kill big fish!

-swordfish

JDPA
Fisher

Post by JDPA »

Diawa sealine 30xha with 20 mono cast like a dream.

phantomreefer
Weekend Warrior

Post by phantomreefer »

Ive seen you cast and you look retarded. And stop using shitty line that breaks every time you pull way too tight on your knots. LMAO HOMIEEEE
Wisdom, justice, temperance, and fortitude. And if none of that works, kick em in the nuts!

phantomreefer
Weekend Warrior

Post by phantomreefer »

Jerry, just go to chaos and play with some of the blanks to get a feel of what you like. Buy the blank and hardware and I will build it for you.
Wisdom, justice, temperance, and fortitude. And if none of that works, kick em in the nuts!

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

now thats a good idea... where is chaos?? what all do i need guides etc.. text me fool im at work... and i just found a torium 30 with dogfish rod 7 foot for 150

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

you know whats funny homieeeeeeee i bought that real cheap zebco 30 lb for 3 bucks and not one prob with one knot even got run under the pier the other night and the thing was barely frayed up lmao....pulled like hell to break the line off too. i just bought that crap that day for backup.....oh the night i saw you i spooled it cause my momoi blew up on my jigmaster.. a blessing in disguise if you ask me....and that cheap 250 yard spool of omni works ten times better go figure... back up line jic works ten times better..

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

whats the difference between the daiwa 50hv and sha

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

oops dogfight nto fish wth??! hahha

so i am getting the torium and dogfight 7 foot ugly stick for 130:) not bad :) cant wait to put my jigmaster on that rod...and the torium on my 8 footer...gonna use the old school jig on that rod for dropping bigger baits with 50 lb test:) torium will go on the 8 foot star for casting see how that goes. tommy suggested the torium...as for the other reels you guys mentioned i am also looking at those for various uses:) and i like the blank idea i think i will:)

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

A 7 ft rod really isn't going to be a great casting rod IMHO You can cast it for sure but not the distance you will get from an 8-10 ft rod.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

oops dogfight nto fish wth??! hahha

so i am getting the torium and dogfight 7 foot ugly stick for 130:) not bad :) cant wait to put my jigmaster on that rod...and the torium on my 8 footer...gonna use the old school jig on that rod for dropping bigger baits with 50 lb

EXACTLY and im gonna do the custom with phantom:) for torium

phantomreefer
Weekend Warrior

Post by phantomreefer »

Homieeee,

They are on federal by south of Atlantic. Im getting ready to build that Calstar blank, the L2 Lamiglas blanks. I have to go Chaos anyway. What's you week look like? call me later.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

this rod and reel are GORGEOUS hahahahaha holy poop.... amazing and i did a street cast with four ounce and barely threw it and went 50 ft

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”