Calstar GF800H

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Calstar GF800H

Post by Miami_Chris »

I know some guys on here fish these blanks for muttons/groupers. What size lead is this blank capable of fishing? Ive been able to feel one and pull on one, but the light tip has me skeptical about being able to fish anything over 4/6 ounces. Anyone with first hand experience actually fishing with this blank?

tdimaniac
Fisher

Re: Calstar GF800H

Post by tdimaniac »

As you are probably aware, that is a live bait blank. It has a soft tip on purpose. You can do a lot of things with a live bait blank but bottom fishing with a lot of lead isn't one (IMHO).

If you have some finesse in your game, and aren't after the really big grouper, I'd consider a musky blank. I have a St. Croix that I purchased for such use but I have not built it yet. From what I have heard you don't want to fish more than about 25#'s of drag on it.....and you darn sure don't want to flip bigger fish into the boat with it. Main advantage is strong tip that can fish a lot of lead in a feather light rod with great sensitivity.

If I was after the bigger grouper, and wanted something I knew could yank them out of their holes, I'd look at the Hercules series.

Sorta depends on how much you want to spend. How much the weight of the rod matters to you. And do you like to feel the bite or see the bite.

Also advise you take a look at what the guys up north like for tog/blackfish rods.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

Im used to fishing with a stiff 30-80 star rod which isnt very sensitive, but has some serious power and have no problem fishing up to 10 ounces of lead. It looks like these calstars provide the sensitivity in the tip, but still have some power, while staying light in weight. But is the tip too soft for fishing 8 or more ounces of lead?

I am just wondering how much lead I can comfortably fish on one of these.

tdimaniac
Fisher

Post by tdimaniac »

Don't quite know what to say that I haven't already. I can only assume one of two things.

1) You bought that blank based on advice from others. Now that you have it in hand you have doubts.

2) You have not bought it, but have felt it, and despite the glowing reviews you have doubts as to its suitability.

Needless to say I share your doubts. I do not think a live bait blank makes a great bottom fishing rod. I'd much rather see you with a Lamiglas CGBT 841 MH.

What have I done? Given the fact that our fish are small, and our currents are light, I have gone with a combo of st. croix sw3 series and their musky blank for my light and heavy bottom fishing rods.

I was born here and caught my fair share of mutton on 15# gear over the past 45 years. A good stiff tipped spin/jig blank with a 15-30# rating will serve you well a lot of the time. Only recently have folks acted like they need a 50# class outfit to handle a 10-20# snapper.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

I thank you for your opinions, as you are the only one responding and wish Miami had a shop that carried all these blanks so I could actually go and pull on them a bit.

I actually met a guy who was selling a gf800h already built and never used for a very reasonable price. I went and checked it out, and didnt like the light tip so much, but after talking with him and a couple rod builders I emailed, I ended up picking up the rod. It will be adequate 80% of the time when the current isnt ripping.

I just figure the days the current is ripping, or I want to fish a big live bait on the bottom, Ill just bust out the 30/80 star rod.

Im fishing with it this week, so we shall see. Im still open to any comments/feedback from those who have actually fished with it :toast:

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

If you want to sell it send me a message.

tdimaniac
Fisher

Post by tdimaniac »

Chris I think you will be very happy with the rod. Buying quality at a good price is never a mistake. So don't let my feelings about it not being the "ideal" bottom fishing rod concern you. It will still be a nice one. I just happen to like other choices better. But hey, I like acid wrapped rods too so I must be crazy.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

I have several calstar rods, one of them is a GF850H I only use it for boat fishing. I have used up to a pound of weight with it with no problems. the sensitivity helps in recognizing a very soft fish tug from chewing on the bait.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

rare wrote:
Boat + Calstar + 16oz lead= slingshot. :pirat:
LMAO!

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

I'm sure cutting off a couple inches off the top would stiffen the blank up a bit, probably what I would of done if I had the rod built from scratch

I can't even picture fishing this rod with a pound of weight and bait, did you cut some off the tip? I'm sure the rod is nice and bent reeling up that much weight though.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

strizile wrote:I guess that is personal preference.

However you do not have to cut anything off a 800H

That blank is fine just as it comes and 16oz makes it snooze.
No prob with that lead weight

He is 100% right. those rods were built to fish for tunas in Cali. I have caught plenty fish on mines. It is a common blank for heavy fishing. It bends like hell but springs back everything on the other end, LOL

phantomreefer
Weekend Warrior

Post by phantomreefer »

[quote="tdimaniac"]Don't quite know what to say that I haven't already. I can only assume one of two things.

1) You bought that blank based on advice from others. Now that you have it in hand you have doubts.

2) You have not bought it, but have felt it, and despite the glowing reviews you have doubts as to its suitability.

Needless to say I share your doubts. I do not think a live bait blank makes a great bottom fishing rod. I'd much rather see you with a Lamiglas CGBT 841 MH.

Im getting to build the Lamiglas CGBT 961 h, its a great bottom rod here are some specs to look at

CGBT 841 MH is 7' and rated at 40# class line. (This used to be CGBT 841 M but was reclassified).

CGBT 961 M is an 8' version of CGBT 841 MH. However this model is not being currently produced by Lamiglas. They can be "special ordered" from Lamiglas by a distributer. There is a minimum amount that has to be ordered. The distributer can tell you how many you have to order.

CGBT 961 H is a 50# class line rod and a bit heavier than the MH model. (that what im building) also makes a great light shark rod for black tips and spinners, not a casting rod, but you can flip bait far from the pier with that rod.

CGBT 961 XH is a 50# class line blank for cod fish.

CGBT 96 4M is an 8' model for bunker spoons. Rated 30-60 #'s. I am told it is a "HOT" blank. Guess I have to order one on the next blank order.

What have I done? Given the fact that our fish are small, and our currents are light, I have gone with a combo of st. croix sw3 series and their musky blank for my light and heavy bottom fishing rods.

ive been fishing down here since 85' and caught my fair share of mutton on 15# gear over the past 25 years. A good stiff tipped spin/jig blank with a 15-30# rating will serve you well a lot of the time. Only recently have folks acted like they need a 50# class outfit to handle a 10-20# snapper.

Hope this helps, tight lines
Wisdom, justice, temperance, and fortitude. And if none of that works, kick em in the nuts!

phantomreefer
Weekend Warrior

Post by phantomreefer »

Ps The lamiglas cgbt 961 is a special order, but their is one on ebay for 130.00
worth every penny.
Wisdom, justice, temperance, and fortitude. And if none of that works, kick em in the nuts!

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”