Conventional Reels

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher

Conventional Reels

Post by Baitfish »

I do a lot of surf casting every summer, but I've always used spincasting equipment. This year I want to start trying my hand at conventional gear and I'm looking for a reel now. I wanted to get some input from the crew to see what the highs and lows are for various models. These are the criteria I'm looking at and some of the models I'm considering:

Price: what the wife don't know won't hurt me, not a factor
Primary uses will be casting and jigging, ocassional trolling
Prefer 2 speed, lever drag, cast control

What are the pros and cons of magnetic vs centrifugal?

The contenders so far:
Diawa Saltiga and Saltist
Shimano Tyrnos, Talica, Torsa and Trinidad...I know, no cast control, but after buying a Stella I'm a Shimano fanboy
Penn Torque
Avet HX
Accurate BX2

Looking forward to the input.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death, It's much more important than that.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Conventional Reels

Post by crashmister »

All good reel's, My fav is Accurate. But I'm a fan of Shimano as well. Stella's are a tough act to follow, but considering their price range, they should be.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Baitfish »

Thanks for the input. As for targets, I'll do some jigging so AJ and grouper will likely be the largest. In the surf, largest would be tarpon. I want to select size and features to keep the reel versatile but the main function will be surf casting. In fact, I'm more interested in the casting than choosing a reel for a specific type of fishing. Of the reels I listed, what makes which ones less castable than others? All my experience with conventionals is of the drop and drag variety so I'm trying to find out all I can before I venture into casting. I'll typically spend a couple of weeks in September planted on a beach, only moving when bait is needed. Sometimes local, sometimes we go to the Outer Banks. This is the year I master conventional casting.

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

If youre just learning to cast conventionals, a torium or saltist will be your best bet.
The Avets have a much heavier spool making it harder to slow down, and you will backlash quite a bit with the avets.
A penn 4/0 would also be a decent choice, and it casts quite well

Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Baitfish »

The heavier spool being harder to control makes sense. The low gears on a 4/0 would make jigging tough, but the cost would let me get 2 reels...hmmmm

Looking to stick with 2 speed for versatility. The Saltists are strong contenders. What do you think about the Saltigas?

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

Baitfish wrote:The heavier spool being harder to control makes sense. The low gears on a 4/0 would make jigging tough, but the cost would let me get 2 reels...hmmmm

Looking to stick with 2 speed for versatility. The Saltists are strong contenders. What do you think about the Saltigas?
Never had one but have only heard good things about the star drag ones. A good option would also be an Avet with MagicCast, you can get that 2 speed as well. It will cut down your distance a bit, but the magnetic brakes will make backlashing a thing of the past.

Once you are more experienced and confident, you can always take the magnet off the reel, and get 20 more yards distance!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

A good jigging reel will typically not be a good casting reel. Most conventional jiggers prefer a narrow spool for ease of line retieval. Narrow spools tend not to cast well. Tough to beat a Saltiga 30T with 65 lb braid for jigging or general bottom fishing. 2 speeds are a waste in my opinion ( I own 8 of them ) for bottom fishing unless you are tuna fishing they are really not needed. Better off getting a spinner for tarpon fishing on the beach as you can cast lures , live baits, or bottom baits much easier and for the price of one 2 speed get 2 reels. The 2 speed will also be a nightmare with sand. I wouldn't dream of using any of my Accurates on the beach.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Baitfish »

I watched the video on Avet's web site and the magicast looks pretty cool. They don't mention what the distance deficit might be, but the backlash would just about be a non-issue...unless a nice bikini came bouncing down the beach right at the end of the cast and you knit a nice sweater out of 300 yds of powerbraid.

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

Baitfish wrote:I watched the video on Avet's web site and the magicast looks pretty cool. They don't mention what the distance deficit might be, but the backlash would just about be a non-issue...unless a nice bikini came bouncing down the beach right at the end of the cast and you knit a nice sweater out of 300 yds of powerbraid.
Well for me on an Avet LX it made all the difference to take the magnet off. IMO the magnet is way too strong even at the lowest setting if youve been casting conventionals a couple years. At setting 3 i can cast an 8 oz without touching the spool and not backlash even after it hit the water lol.

Id say i now get a 40-60 % longer cast without the magnet in there.

Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Baitfish »

Thanks for the advice FF. While I truely lust for the sexy reels like Avet and Accurate, the sand question had crossed my mind. The close tolerances with the quality machining on those reels would certainly make them prone to problems and at the very least a lot of ugly scratches which could only lead to heartbreak.
I have spinners from Fin-Nor to Stella and they will be with me too. I'm looking for a good reel to learn surf casting conventionals with and the Diawas seem to be getting the nod.
I was fooling about earlier with Miamipescador about getting two reels. I think you might have a point about two reels. Rather than try to make one reel do two jobs, get the right reel for each. Since the decision at hand is casting from the beach, what's your pick?

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I think you need two reels. Casting from the beach and jigging on a boat are two different things. Maybe a Penn Squidder, but thats old tech. From my experience casting from the beach with conventionals alot, I use two saltist 30s star drag conventionals, with 20#mono. These reels get ugly after HEAVY use, but I don't know a reel that dosn't. Mechanically though these things last and are great for casting 4 or 5oz and baits on a 12 foot rod, never had a problem with sand. I like them. If you want to save some money cuz your just using this reel as a learing tool try the Daiwa Seagate, same guts as the Saltist but "gasp" graphite. I don't own one but would. I also own a Torium 30 but I use it as a jetty heaver and peir "crank um up" reel, not a beach surf caster. You could always get some beach bling with an Avet if your budget allows, I don't own one and have never casted one but I'm sure they are great reels. I just don't see one in my future for surf casting. :toast:
http://youtu.be/2-FZcQ_hNUI

Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Baitfish »

Thanks Jetty. As the wisdom trickles in, I see two reels in my future. I don't mind spending the bucks on something nice, I just dont want to get something that's going to be a pain to keep working if I spend a week or two on the beach. The Saltists seem to be a strong favorite. Have you fished the Saltigas and are they worth the extra bucks or woud they be finicky in the sand?

BTW, your icon pic is great. Shoulda been a cover for a Doors album.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I've never used the Saltiga. I worry about how things hold up in the sand when purchasing too. I recently purchased a Penn Battle 4000 with the same worries. But advice givin was good and it is no problem on the jetties or beach, great reel. I hate when a reel turns into a pepper grinder and I can assure you the reel mentioned will not turn into a pepper grinder. Listen if you take care of your gear which I'm sure you do, then you would have no worries. If you drag any reel around in the sand, back of your truck, on the jetty, spray it off in the grass with fresh water in the yard, tear it apart to lube it, then its gonna get scrached up. That don't matter, its how it performs when hauling in a fatty and taking pictures and putting them up here. Sometimes you have to be a tackle HO and have more than one reel. Who knows after purchasing a surf casting conventional you may never go on a boat again, so the need for a 2 for 1 isn't needed. Good luck out there brah :toast: Its all what your willing to spend. Two speed lever drag is not the right choice for the sandbox. I'm not trying to sell you on anything just giving advice. :toast:

Xpierrat
Old Salt

Post by Xpierrat »

For a beach casting surf reel....AS BJR said ..... Seagate.... period.... great reel affordable cost.... I have 6 of the Sealine SHV/A models which the Seagate replaced and have used some of them well over 10 years.... the graphite frame is a plus not a minus IMHO.......

I would replace any one of my beach heavers with the Seagate model in a heartbeat. This leaves money for another reel (or two ) for jigging/boat use.
Rick

cyril1974
KING MACKEREL

Post by cyril1974 »

The RICK has spoken

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

I would've done the same Nelson, I have a 500 not the high speed though that is going on a custom gator glass for casting off the keys bridges.

Eventually, I may jump to the seagate though in the future as time passes.

Would also love to get my hands on a mag 525 or 980 if the price is right!

For now though the jig master will do just fine. BJR, seen the Italy world champion long cast video? Pumps me up with that music o go out there and sling it lol. I'll post it up for others.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Just watched the italy one. This guy is good at explaining alot about surf casting. He's in England so he's fishing for different fish but everything still applys too fishing here. :toast:
http://youtu.be/AGR_7XZOrS0

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Yea I totally agree with ya BJR, his video is real informative I've seen it before along with a lot of other Pendulum and Distance Cast videos. Those U.K guys are beasts and really get their rigs waaay out there, that's their specialty I'd say.

Thanks for sharing that.

I've always admired and respected long distance casters, I'm starting to get into it more now even though I don't usually fish from the beach or open areas, 98 percent of my fishing is from the keys bridges so I never really tried learning the pendulum since its tough with the bridge walls and railings around you etc.

Instead I try and focus on the other aspects of being able to cast out there besides the actual cast itself. You into distance casting?

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Very true Nelson, that's the main reason I took the 500 I have off the rod it was on and have Ron build me a Custom for casting. :pistols:

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I'm into learning anything I can about fishing and watch the youtube videos on casting. I pendllum cast like the videos show. I'm not into distance casting. It took some trial and error getting comfortable with it but I get good distance and straight shots. Not a cast for bridges or peirs. Most you bridge pier guys over head thump cast right. Typing on my android is a pain. :toast:

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

That's awesome that you Pendulum cast BJC, props to you man :dude: And yea I usually just over head thump like you mentioned.

Nelson, no way man I'm not trying to get hung on any power lines trust me :mrgreen:

I know alot of guys and seen alot of ground cast off the beach too BJR, not sure if you ever done it, where they basically have the sinker and rig sitting on the ground close to your feet, then they whip it out and it gets far as hell man.

I plan on tweaking some of my casting this spring with this new rod. I took off about a 1/4" worth of line on my reel as well, and going to mess with the spool tension knob too. I don't plan on magging it anyway, I have a great thumb to stop it. I just was getting too much fluff on the middle of the casts so I need to slow down the spool a bit :pistols:

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Another vote for the Daiwa Seagate. I have a Daiwa SL30SH (earlier version of the Seagate) that I've had more then 15 years and is going strong with very minimal maintenance. Bling reels and sand don't mix.

Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Baitfish »

Boca Jetty Rat wrote:Sometimes you have to be a tackle HO ...
If I'm nothing else, I'm a tackle HO. Two reels it is. Seriously, after reading all the input, I think getting the right reel for the job is going to work better than making one reel do two jobs. We'll cross the conventional jigging bridge when we get to it. Right now I'm interested in getting set up for surf casting conventionals and putting it to use this spring. The Diawas seem to be getting good reviews and I'm gonna get one of the Seagates. Thanks to BJR, Rick and PP for the recommends.

Rick, we met a couple of times out at Dania and shot the breeze on surf fishing the Outer Banks. I was the other Rick in the straw hat. I wanted to get this conventional mastered for a trip to Okracoke either this spring or fall. Last trip out there was some great fishing off the south point, but I lacked the distance to get out in the deeper waters.

Now, what's a good rod to match with the reel. I started with Uglystiks and then upgraded to a Tsunami Trophy. I haven't had the Tsunami long, but it's been a great rod so far and I really enjoy fishing with it. My limitations on the rod are it has to be a two piece and no more than 12' long. My Tacoma has a 6' bed and it has to fit.

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'll post a pic here when I get the rig.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

12 ft rod for tarpon , have fun.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Two piece 12 foot conventional rod. I use a pair of Daiwa emblem surfs that work great for me. Picked them up at bass pro. 12 foot XH 5 to 8oz. I'm only thowing 5oz hand poured storm sinkers with cut bait or live crabs with them. These type rods are great for casting but NOT whippy limp rods that small fish will give you a good fight on. :toast:

The issue I have with really power casting is with live baits. I tend to whip them off if pushed to hard. Live crabs on the other hand no problems.

Chevy Juan, I also can ground cast but don't. Dragging my bait and all threw the sand is a pain. Pendulum casting isn't to hard to do. It's in the back swing getting that rod blank loaded then following threw and letting that rod whip forward.
rare wrote:Before anyone starts learning how to cast 500yds, first learn how to cast well & straight as possible.
I'm just assuming that we are all beyond this step. If not solid advice. :toast:

Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Baitfish »

The Tsunami I use is the 12' XH 6-10oz. I'm usually chuckin' 3-6 pyramids. You're right about the live bait. Last September I spent most of my time on Hutchinson Island hurling finger mullet. A few times i was left with nothing but a pair of lips for bait as I watched the mullet continue towards the horizon long after the weight had splashed.
Do you use spider weights much? I bought one on an impulse that has stainless wires held in position by plastic beads that snap into depressions on the weight. For the longest time, I never used it and wondered why the hell I bought it. One day the surf was pounding and I needed the weight so I tried it. Well, it works great. It sets harder than a pyramid of equal weight. When you need to bring it in, yank hard and the beads leave the depressions allowing the wires to trail behind the weight. The wires and the bullet shape of the weight let it ride over the rocks and it has never gotten snagged. Just curious if anyone else has used this type of weight.

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”