Late BHP Report 8/8-8/11

This area is for Shark'in Reports from all over, These reports must be catch and Release if you've gone shark'in put them here. All photos of sharks must be alive, there will be no tolerance for Photos of Dead Sharks.

Oh no are there sharks at the beach?
Seaborn
Fisher

Late BHP Report 8/8-8/11

Post by Seaborn »

I got really busy so I didn’t have time to put up a report earlier, but I’ll say the gist of things. We headed down to Bob Hall with some prime baits knowing that big Tigers were in. Supposedly since our last trip they hadn’t been catching anything though, no runs on any of the shark rods for about a month, at least for the group we were fishing with. Kings were hitting like crazy though. In the entire trip I saw about 40 kings caught…on the T head, so that’s not counting all the ones that were probably caught up and down the pier. During the day shark rigs weren’t getting picked up, so we were all fishing for Kingfish. Hell, we were even slide lining all of our 80w (Kings can take an impressive run on an 80 that isn’t cranked all the way up). My brother also managed to get his very first King! The biggest one I saw caught during the whole trip was 54” I believe.

Also, you guys remember that 11’4” Tiger that was caught on Packery? Well, word of mouth had us confused. A woman came up to the pier, saw someone with 12/0’s and assumed they were shark fishermen, and supposedly she was ecstatic telling them about the shark that had just been caught. Well, coming from her mouth, she told us it was 14’3” and most of us spent that entire day being pretty much convinced a 14+ shark was caught from a Texas beach. Things got cleared up later. However, Frank was telling us that perhaps the reason no shark rods had gotten any runs is because a rogue was in the area keeping other sharks away. I don’t know if an 11’4” Tiger is really enough to clear out an area of sharks, but the next morning Glenn reeled in his 80w and he ended up catching his very first Tiger! She measured at 6’2” and was a beautiful looking fish that was tagged and released. Then, later on in the trip, in the middle of the night, the sound of Roys T-RX woke me from a deep sleep. After a nice little fight a Greater Hammerhead showed itself at the surface! Tagged and released, she measured to 8’1” and we watched her swim around the T-Head a bit before heading back out to sea (video below).

Boats were still a problem, and seeing as how sharks were only biting at night or in the morning, we decided to bomb baits out before sun down to avoid boat traffic. Something I find interesting; I remember in that thread about the 11’4” Tiger someone brought up how it seems like Texas has a bunch of big Tigers while Florida has a lot of juvenile ones and big ones. I caught my 7’8”, Glenn got a 6’2” and someone this weekend got a 7’9” Tiger (along with a 7’6” Greater). Smaller Tigers are over here now, along with bigger ones since some 9ft+ were caught down the beach last weekend along with a 9ft Dusky. But anyways, I was happy to see some nice fish caught, I have no idea if there is a correlation between that 11’4” being caught and sharks being caught off BHP again, since those big ones still roam once released; I just hope that some even bigger ones, perhaps that sharks partner, stick around for Sharkathon ;)

Return to “Shark'in Reports”