Please don't get us banned

This area is for Shark'in Reports from all over, These reports must be catch and Release if you've gone shark'in put them here. All photos of sharks must be alive, there will be no tolerance for Photos of Dead Sharks.

Oh no are there sharks at the beach?
Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Please don't get us banned

Post by Goat »

Was not sure where to post this and I know controversial. Please eliminate if you feel out of order. Saw the news and articles about blacktips caught I think it was Singer Island. I have fished 34 years in Jupiter for them but more and more places being shut down. Comments made like the following on the TV news and now being put in PB news really does not help.

"Some people got opinions and they can have their opinions. But the law is the law. And the law says we're allowed to be here," said Jorg

Few more of those comments like above and our PB and Jupiter spots will be shut down. There are people in the county and local government who take it as a challenge and the condo people with money will win pretty much every time.

Only took one video of a confrontation with a sharker and surfers on Juno pier to shut us down out there.

Not sure who Jorg is but my opinion (and just an opinion) is we need to educate people like that to lay low and not stir it up with challenging comments.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Please don't get us banned

Post by fishnfool73 »

I have always said '' we '' are our own worst enemies when it comes to getting spots shut down.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

Link to article:

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_c_p ... ear-crowds

I really like seeing all the pictures everyone is posting and I have been out at night catching some big ones/releasing in Jupiter. Have met many of you over the years (you know who you are). Looking forward to continuing meeting up and the fun stories.

Take care,
Goat

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I know Josh and he is one of the most respectful, good ambassadors for the shark fishing community out there. But I agree, the best thing in my opinion is not to even give comment to the reporters if they ask. I would have said I was fishing for tarpon. I love the comment by the lifeguard in the article. Typical nanny state BS.

migs24
Old Salt

Post by migs24 »

I like how they put emphasis on all the cons.. "oh its for research? A good cause? CUT! We don't want to bore the people watching, next story!" Now every pasty kook that comes down for the winter to our stomping grounds will make sure that shark fishing or fishing all together is banned wherever they want because the majority vote is always going to be a group of 3,000,000 vs a couple of fisherman who actually give a sh!t about what they do and don't let people walk all over them. This is why I also HATE when they start showing the sharks migrating on the news. Every lazy idiot in Florida heads out to the beach and walks just past the guarded area and starts chunking bait out. Oh, and that "lifeguard" should be banned from Florida. And josh did nothing wrong. I'm sure they interviewed him with multiple questions and picked out what they like to get a rise out of their audience. I blame the media.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

i have a strong feeling this is going to turn the other way. that was a lot of people on the beach looking at the sharks reeled in. someone is surely going to complain even if the fishermen are doing nothing wrong.

Blacktip Hunter
KING MACKEREL

Post by Blacktip Hunter »

Goat wrote:Was not sure where to post this and I know controversial. Please eliminate if you feel out of order. Saw the news and articles about blacktips caught I think it was Singer Island. I have fished 34 years in Jupiter for them but more and more places being shut down. Comments made like the following on the TV news and now being put in PB news really does not help.

"Some people got opinions and they can have their opinions. But the law is the law. And the law says we're allowed to be here," said Jorg

Few more of those comments like above and our PB and Jupiter spots will be shut down. There are people in the county and local government who take it as a challenge and the condo people with money will win pretty much every time.

Only took one video of a confrontation with a sharker and surfers on Juno pier to shut us down out there.

Not sure who Jorg is but my opinion (and just an opinion) is we need to educate people like that to lay low and not stir it up with challenging comments.
Juno Pier is the property of the town of Juno and can be regulated by the town of Juno. The beaches of Florida are owned by the State and are regulated by the state. Local Governments cannot regulate fishing. Local governments have the authority to restrict fishing in a designated swimming area that is governed by a lifeguard employed by the city, but these regulations only apply when the lifeguard is on duty. These restrictions only apply to the "guarded beach" where the lifeguard is stationed. Usually these boundaries are marked on the beach with a sign stating: "End of guarded beach". Once you are past this sign, you are not longer under the jurisdiction of the stationed lifeguard. If the lifeguard is not on duty, any fishing restrictions are lifted.

Chapter 379.2412 of the Florida Statutes states: "The power to regulate the taking or possession of saltwater fish, as defined in s. 379.101, is expressly reserved to the state. This section does not prohibit a local government from prohibiting, for reasons of protecting the public health, safety, or welfare, saltwater fishing from real property owned by that local government."

The state of Florida recognizes that fishing is a valued part of the cultural heritage of Florida. This law does not specify what kind of fishing, but rather fishing in General. Whether you are fishing from shore or from a boat, it will be preserved for Floridians.

Chapter 379.104 states: "The Legislature recognizes that hunting, fishing, and the taking of game are a valued part of the cultural heritage of Florida and should be forever preserved for Floridians. The Legislature further recognizes that these activities play an important part in the state's economy and in the conservation, preservation, and management of the state's natural areas and resources. Therefore, the Legislature intends that the citizens of Florida have a right to hunt, fish, and take game, subject to the regulations and restrictions prescribed by general law and by s. 9, Art. IV of the State Constitution".

All local governments must provide public beach access for Floridians to access the beaches of the state. Local governments cannot restrict how the general public accesses the beaches of the state.

Chapter 161.021 states: “Access” or “public access” as used in ss. 161.041, 161.052, and 161.053 means the public’s right to laterally traverse the sandy beaches of this state where such access exists on or after July 1, 1987, or where the public has established an accessway through private lands to lands seaward of the mean high tide or water line by prescription, prescriptive easement, or any other legal means, development or construction shall not interfere with such right of public access unless a comparable alternative accessway is provided.

This news story twisted the truth. The beach was closed to swimmers. We were conducting research and possessed a "special activities license" issued by the State of Florida to do so. We were the correct distance away from the "guarded beach". We were not endangering the public and do not have authority to restrict the public's interest in our research. What I have learned from this experience is to approach all members of the press with caution, never agree to do a story unless it is scheduled with an intent, and to not answer every question they might ask in an interview.
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1)

Visit us online: http://blacktiphfishing.org

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

I'm sure the media took pleasure in twisting your interview Blacktip Hunter. Although I don't know you personally, from what I have seen I'm fairly sure you wouldn't go and make a point to throw it in peoples faces that they can't stop you from sharking. The line from that retard lifeguard about you guys "not realizing that there's a danger; that you can get bit" destroyed the credibility of the report anyways. Considering you were there doing scientific research and not some drunk spring breaker would lead any reasonable person to believe that you knew what you were doing... Did you have a de-hooker, or were you just gonna lip the shark and pop the hook out with your fingers?!?! I don't see this interview having an effect on the state legislation, but had some drunk spring breaker get bit by your shark then things might be different. Keep doin what your doin, you get a big thumbs up from me. :thumleft: :toast:

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

I agree with all you are doing. I am with you all and my only recommendation in this is lay low as it all gets twisted. Your research great. My point is media and people with money can really hurt us. Here is link to what happened in Delray. I testified at that hearing and called out the guy who has had people bitten/killed doing shark dives from his boat who was there and he was trying to shut us down.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/may/07/ ... near-last/

All good everyone. We just need to be cautious. I have fished for sharks on the old Juno pier and on the new one. Over night they restricted our gear on new Juno pier because of one video that was posted a few years ago.

Late 70's early 80's town of Jupiter and Juno made an attempt to shut down all shark fishing on beach after new condo people took a stance. Me and buddies who were doing the shark fishing met with the town council/police department and we agreed we would only do it at night from there on out.

These were really nice people we met with who fished like us and felt our pain but they told us that the people with money will try and be successful in shutting us down if we did not lay low and shark fish when it would not be noticed. The towns dynamics were changing. Heck back then I could even drive my jeep on the beach at night. Things have changed.

Ever since then I have only shark fished at night. Please only take this as advice from an old shark fisher. Believe me when I say I am with you.

Take care,
Goat

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

Goat wrote:I agree with all you are doing. I am with you all and my only recommendation in this is lay low as it all gets twisted. Your research great. My point is media and people with money can really hurt us. Here is link to what happened in Delray. I testified at that hearing and called out the guy who has had people bitten/killed doing shark dives from his boat who was there and he was trying to shut us down.

All good everyone. We just need to be cautious. I have fished for sharks on the old Juno pier and on the new one. Over night they restricted our gear on new Juno pier because of one video that was posted a few years ago.

Late 70's early 80's town of Jupiter and Juno made an attempt to shut down all shark fishing on beach after new condo people took a stance. Me and buddies who were doing the shark fishing met with the town council/police department and we agreed we would only do it at night from there on out.

These were really nice people we met with who fished like us and felt our pain but they told us that the people with money will try and be successful in shutting us down if we did not lay low and shark fish when it would not be noticed. The towns dynamics were changing. Heck back then I could even drive my jeep on the beach at night. Things have changed.

Ever since then I have only shark fished at night. Please only take this as advice from an old shark fisher. Believe me when I say I am with you.

Take care,
Goat
I'm not into sharking, but I think this whole thing is outrageous. The news media, and condo commandos and such will always try and spin things out of proportion. Its a crying shame that ignorant idiots with no real grasp on whats REALLY going on, can ruin so many things. It sickens me, it really does.
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

Blacktip Hunter
KING MACKEREL

Post by Blacktip Hunter »

Goat wrote:I agree with all you are doing. I am with you all and my only recommendation in this is lay low as it all gets twisted. Your research great. My point is media and people with money can really hurt us. Here is link to what happened in Delray. I testified at that hearing and called out the guy who has had people bitten/killed doing shark dives from his boat who was there and he was trying to shut us down.

Take care,
Goat
What the city of Delray Beach did was outside their jurisdiction and outright illegal. We as anglers could hire a lawyer and sue the city of Delray Beach for passing an ordinance that infringes upon our rights as anglers. Boca Raton tried passing the same law. They actually did some research before they passed anything and concluded that they did not have the authority to regulate fishing.
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1)

Visit us online: http://blacktiphfishing.org

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

Blacktip Hunter wrote:

Take care,
Goat
What the city of Delray Beach did was outside their jurisdiction and outright illegal. We as anglers could hire a lawyer and sue the city of Delray Beach for passing an ordinance that infringes upon our rights as anglers. Boca Raton tried passing the same law. They actually did some research before they passed anything and concluded that they did not have the authority to regulate fishing.
There are enough sharkers, get together and sue them!
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by MoJo »

Here is an idea BH... Get a white Lab coat carry it in your gear bag when you see a reporter get the jacket put it on and watch them walk away.

If they attempt to do a slime piece it just wont fly.....

Imagination its the American way.

Return to “Shark'in Reports”