6 ft. + Blacktip 10/29/09

This area is for Shark'in Reports from all over, These reports must be catch and Release if you've gone shark'in put them here. All photos of sharks must be alive, there will be no tolerance for Photos of Dead Sharks.

Oh no are there sharks at the beach?
JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

6 ft. + Blacktip 10/29/09

Post by JSG2891 »

Caught on a penn 209 (the sharks and tarpon always ignore my avet lx or my newell 540 and go for the reel with less line capacity, lol)and was brought to shore in about half an hour and did well after release. He ate a cut piece of king mackerel that I swam about 125 yards off the beach. Pretty good action that day, I also landed a 110 lb tarpon on the avet, and caught several hard fighting snook on lighter spinning gear, 26-35 inches while trying to catch bait. So I got all the best gamefish covered that day, lol.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: 6 ft. + Blacktip 10/29/09

Post by fixed80 »

good job on the catch. :thumleft: and the poon too all in a day. :)

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

yeah and it was nice to get a bunch of snook, they're a good fight on the lighter tackle i use for catching bait..the snook were biting so good that day they kept eating my pilchards before the stuff i was trying to catch for bait, they must have been stocking up on food before the cold front comes in.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Nice job. :thumright:
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

It says on the website the land based record is 5'5" 155 lbs for bt's..I guarantee there are a bunch of people on this site alone who have bested that. But the guy who has the record was fishing a tournament with an official on hand. There was a guy down this way that got a 7 footer recently but that was in a kayak.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Nice job. Tarpon, shark and snook all in one day, thats like the surf grand slam.

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

yeah the tarpon was a nice suprise because in the past month or so they've been fewer at this spot..it seems like mostly tarpon there in the summer and then mostly sharks once the cold fronts come in. but the snook are always around the jetties and are fun to catch when they aren't so stubborn and its the best way to kill time waiting for clickers to go off.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

you know as i look at the picture again, it looks like it might be a sandbar shark cuz the dorsal fin looks slightly
large(there also very common on that coast as well). but it still maybe a blacktip or...........

Get-em-wet
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Get-em-wet »

fixed80 wrote:you know as i look at the picture again, it looks like it might be a sandbar shark cuz the dorsal fin looks slightly
large(there also very common on that coast as well). but it still maybe a blacktip or...........
:stupid: Even though i've never really seen to many Sandbars...it doesn't look like a tip to me.

# one
Weekend Warrior

Post by # one »

Very nice!. where exactly are you fishing at, if you dont mind.?? is that by bonita beach or sanibel by any chance?

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

# one wrote:Very nice!. where exactly are you fishing at, if you dont mind.?? is that by bonita beach or sanibel by any chance?
its a secret spot he told me. :)

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Re: 6 ft. 2 inch sandbar 10/29/09

Post by JSG2891 »

LOL..I'm no ichthyologist I just catch the damn things. Sandbar sharks, dusky sharks, spinner sharks and blacktip sharks are often all confused with eachother, but yes, after 2nd observation and debate, I agree it is a sandbar/brown shark (honest mistake, lol). The reason why I'm so quick to call blacktip is because most of the sharks I've caught at this particular spot are definatly blacktips.

As for where I was fishing that doesn't really matter..its not the only place holding fish..I fish at many different spots on different beaches..everywhere from Boca Grande down to Caxambas Pass this year and I can't complain about any place I've tried to fish. Beaches near inlets are a good place to start, and make sure the tide is right.

Ryan71
Old Salt

Post by Ryan71 »

What did the Tarpon eat?

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

Ryan71 wrote:What did the Tarpon eat?

A cut piece of ladyfish. The big ones are lazy and don't like to hunt down their food..down in Key West tourists pay good money to feed tarpon off of docks, they will eat a piece of cut bait out of your hand! Plus they rely somewhat on smell to find their food much like redfish do, or sharks. So I pretty much fish for tarpon the same way you'd go about fishing for sharks that are 4-7 feet, hand sized pieces of cut bait.

Ryan71
Old Salt

Post by Ryan71 »

Thats pretty sick. :dude:
This summer I hooked 2 at juno pier one was about 115lbs and ran straight in(no chance.) :shock:
Another about 80lbs I fought perfect until he tried to go under then I started putting the hurtin on him :mad: and he frayed off my leader. Both ate live sardines on bottom rigs. Both were also fought on an avet mxl with 30lb.

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

Ryan71 wrote:Thats pretty sick. :dude:
This summer I hooked 2 at juno pier one was about 115lbs and ran straight in(no chance.) :shock:
Another about 80lbs I fought perfect until he tried to go under then I started putting the hurtin on him :mad: and he frayed off my leader. Both ate live sardines on bottom rigs. Both were also fought on an avet mxl with 30lb.
I jumped one today..two jumps and he was gone. Took a blue runner head. He jumped before I even tried to set the hook, must have felt that line hitting on him. So as i tried setting the hook and he jumped again and was able to avoid the hook. Its good to see em around the beach again, its been a month or so since I've seen them, there are more of them around in the summer and I'm already looking forward to it!

It is hard landing them from a pier though, there is always the chance they'll swim under the pilings, that is why I do nearly all my fishing from the beach, more room to fight em. I bet they're a lot of fun to fight on the mxl..I use the lx model spooled with 600 yards of 80lb power pro, and a penn 209 with 350 yards. Its a challenge to get one on the mxl or sx, the lx drag is a little more powerful, I love the smooth drag on that reel. It also casts pretty far too, for the days I just wade out and cast..so I bet the mxl and sx can cast a mile.

Ryan71
Old Salt

Post by Ryan71 »

Yeah your right about the casting.
I can whip a 5 oz on my mxl about 120yds and I've seen SX's go way past that.
I usually fish my mxl with 250yds of 65 pp and then around 120 yds of 30 on top of that.( probaly should bring it up to 40 lb though.)

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

Yeah your right about the casting.
I can whip a 5 oz on my mxl about 120yds and I've seen SX's go way past that.
I usually fish my mxl with 250yds of 65 pp and then around 120 yds of 30 on top of that.( probaly should bring it up to 40 lb though.)
DANG I knew those things could cast bombs..see as long as I don't have a really strong wind in my face I can get about 70 yard casts with a heavy chunk bait and 4 oz weight on the lx, and that is with an 8 foot boat rod not made for long casting! I don't like surf rods, I like rods that are made for fighting, not casting. My LX isn't really as much of a casting reel as those smaller ones, most people use them for trolling/drifting and what not, so I'd love to see how far I could whip one of those smaller avets.

JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JDL »

MXL's can cast really far...I have caught blacktips from the beach to well over 100lbs on the MXL with straight 20lb mono (and a 15ft windon of 60lb for abrasion resistance).
Image Image Image

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

JDL wrote:MXL's can cast really far...I have caught blacktips from the beach to well over 100lbs on the MXL with straight 20lb mono (and a 15ft windon of 60lb for abrasion resistance).

damn thats actually impressive..i bet that a 5 foot blacktip is a hell of a battle on that light setup.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Nice Trifecta.
Shark, Tarpon and snook. A winning day

JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JDL »

JSG2891 wrote:
JDL wrote:MXL's can cast really far...I have caught blacktips from the beach to well over 100lbs on the MXL with straight 20lb mono (and a 15ft windon of 60lb for abrasion resistance).

damn thats actually impressive..i bet that a 5 foot blacktip is a hell of a battle on that light setup.
Thanks!!!

Yeah great fight...but those reels are super smooth with great drags. I now have 50lb powerpro on it as I was using it for school tuna over the summer/fall. I'll probably just add my usual 15ft of 80lb mono when I use it again for sharks.
Image Image Image

Return to “Shark'in Reports”