rod for 9/0

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
whitemamba24
Fisher

rod for 9/0

Post by whitemamba24 »

I will start off by saying im a pretty new fisherman, and an even newer shark fisherman, so i am open to any and all criticism. I just bought myself a penn 9/0 senator for shark fishing from the beach and i'm wondering what rod to put it on, the 2 rods that have stood out to me is a 7' 50-80# X-Heavy star rod, and a 6' 50-80# chaos rod, that being said i have no idea if either of these are actually good rods, and if they are then what one is better. I am also open to other rod suggestions, i'm willing to pay up at 175$ so it doesnt have to be dirt cheap.

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Re: rod for 9/0

Post by chris21 »

hello! between the 2 rods you listed I would go for the 7 footer, but me personally when I did have a 9/0 senator I had it on a 9ft custom crowder rod and it was absolutely amazing! that was my preference but a 7ft med/heavy action rod will do just fine, good luck!
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Rods will be short to use on the beach. Where do you live ?
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

might have a semi custom around pm me number ill txt u after work

whitemamba24
Fisher

Post by whitemamba24 »

i live in sarasota, i kayak out my baits so casting isnt a issue.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Length in this case isn't for casting. It is for keeping your line out of the weeds on the beach and out of the beach break.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

whitemamba24
Fisher

Post by whitemamba24 »

ahhhhh ok, well there's no weeds out there, but there is one very large sandbar that i might need height to clear. Most of my fishing is at turtle beach, which way back when they dug the area directly in front of the beach out, so we ended up with a sandbar that plummets down to 15ft of water only like 100 ft from shore. This large sandbar makes for some fantastic shark fishing luckily, but the water does go from like 6 ft deep up too 2.5 ft deep down to 15 ft, making for an awkard time getting fish over it.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Again where do you live ? I have a 7' 2'' a brand new blank totally solid ,I could build it for you for $150 ,foul proof guides ...if you want turbo guides will b a little more ,aluminum reel seat ,you select colors marble or wrap ..

I bought a whole bunch of 8 FOOTERS for spinning or conv rods 30 to 50 lbs test

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

i bought if for a 6/0 its to beefy...you could flip a shark if the line don't brake lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

whitemamba24
Fisher

Post by whitemamba24 »

oh, sorry thought i mentioned. I live in Sarasota FL, im willing to drive a bit if necessary. you can PM me and we can discuss the details.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Its a long drive....pm sent

Return to “Shark'in Info”