Hammerheads...where and when?

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
opiato
Old Salt

Hammerheads...where and when?

Post by opiato »

still targeting medium sharks for now, but im real anxious to get an upclose look at a good hammerhead. I know jetty park is crawling with pups in the summer, but just wanted to ask if anyone knows some locations/seasons that might tend to produce some 5-7 footers. Maybe theyre hiding in jetty park too? I live in orlando, so central fl locations would be ideal, but I occassionally travel further too.

-ps yes they will be handled with great care

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Hammerheads...where and when?

Post by fixed80 »

you have to drive along ways to get them. April is the month but the migration is usually in the palm beach region and slight north of there. up here i dont know but your best bet is to fish in the month of may like in playalinda. no real big sharks are caught at jetty park.

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Kool, man. Thanks for the info. Might plan a trip south for spring break 8)

Seaborn
Fisher

Post by Seaborn »

My understanding is that basically, Hammers show up when the weather starts to warm up in the Spring, and when the weather starts to cool down in the Fall. I remember reading that they really like cool water, not too cold, but not too hot. That's why I'm so stoked for when March starts to roll around :reeling:
For the most part though I think that you have a chance of catching them between March and October if you just fish hard.

keepinitreel
Seasoned Fisher

Post by keepinitreel »

seen one get caught this morning at Dania Pier if wasnt that big 4 ft at most but he sure had some fightin him

Return to “Shark'in Info”